Flying the Rigs if Your Scared of Heights

muppetdog

How high are those oil rigs? Do you have to get out of the helicopter and hang out on the pad that much?

MD

No offense, but how do you fly at all if you are scared of heights? And yes, they do get out of the helicopter sometimes, and even spend the night on the rigs if they have to.

It's not uncommon. Usually the fear of heights is when you are attached to the ground, by climbing a ladder, looking down some stairs, looking down from a tall building.

But once you are no longer connected to the ground, it is a different matter.

My business partner is scared of heights, but has been flying since 1982. He can't look down from one flight of stairs, and he doesn't really like a free-air hover at altitude (for filming) but otherwise it doesn't affect him. But getting out on a rig and looking over the side is something he wouldn't do!

If you're scared of heights, you had better not go there. Climbing and descending stairs from a hundred or more feet up, when the stairs consist of grating, and you're looking down through them at the water far down below, can paralyze some people. I've seen people completely terrified, unable to negotiate the stairs without closing their eyes. You either get used to it and don't even think about it, or you don't go out there. As a pilot, you will spend plenty of time on the stairs, most of them outside, consisting of grating and handrails, fairly often in high winds. If you're really scared of heights, just the landing and takeoff can be a problem. I've known of pilots who made one trip out, and quit immediately. Some never even made it to a platform, because the water scared them so badly they just turned around within a mile of the beach.

How high are those oil rigs? Do you have to get out of the helicopter and hang out on the pad that much?

MD

First off you will not be flying to a "rig". You will be flying to a platform. I did fly to a drilling rig,

once. The first time I went offshore by myself on a income flight. Haven't done it since. Probably

sounds like nit-picking.... Anyway, yes you will get out a lot offshore. Sumping fuel if you are the

first one there, getting something to eat, waiting for passengers. You will spend the night,

occasionally. Lots of stairs. The helidecks are usually 100-200' off the water. The helideck doesn't

have a railing, of course, but skirting that extends out a few feet all the way around it. You get

used to it. If it's a manned platform, you can go to the quarters and rummage around for some

thing to eat. You can eat whatever you want wherever you go. If it's unmanned, you sit in the

helicopter or anywhere to get comfortable. I know guys that fly around with a hammock.

Edited by helonorth

MD

When I was there, the helipads varied from between 30 and 40 (some in the bays much lower) up to 200 feet. Most were between 70-100 feet above the water. Often, a new guy's obvious by the way he handles the transition from the pad to the stairway. Even if the landing at the top of the ladderway is solid, the stairs will be grates with a couple of rails. That, and working around the edge are the only times I was aware of height in anything but a good way. Landing to any elevated surface, whether a pinnacle, building or structure requires a disconnect between your awareness of the surface and it's relation to the pad, where your gaze is fixed. It's just another point of intended touch down.

But, leaning out over the deck edge, perhaps standing on the catch fence to tie the main rotor down, or the tie down straps, and I was always aware of the height.

Even mild acrophobics get used to it.

P.S. Calling them "rigs" is like calling helicopters "choppers". Call'em structures (although some are "platforms") if they're not rigs, which are "mobile" and do specialized non-production work, most often drilling. Barges come in different varieties, too, as do boats. Yes, I know there's a difference between a ship and a boat, but it gets a rise out of some captains and that is worth while...

Edited by Wally

On a side note, I'm plenty scared of heights. I've been at the top of 30' of scaffolding and not able to stand up, body just wouldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. It's taken me 10 minutes to step from a 20' extension ladder to the top of the house before.

However, I can fly all day no problem. Steep turns, 180's, OGE hovers. Even 7000' doors off in the R22 is no problem. I even actually enjoy it. Like Eric said, it's a different world.

Walking down metal grate steps with just a handrail 200' above the water would be a non starter. I don't even like walking up split concrete steps to the second floor of an apartment. Yikes!!

On a side note, I'm plenty scared of heights. I've been at the top of 30' of scaffolding and not able to stand up, body just wouldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. It's taken me 10 minutes to step from a 20' extension ladder to the top of the house before.

However, I can fly all day no problem. Steep turns, 180's, OGE hovers. Even 7000' doors off in the R22 is no problem. I even actually enjoy it. Like Eric said, it's a different world.

Walking down metal grate steps with just a handrail 200' above the water would be a non starter. I don't even like walking up split concrete steps to the second floor of an apartment. Yikes!!

I too am scared of heights. Ferris Wheel? No thanks. Platforms don't bother me. When I was first out here I think one freaked me out a little bit, but you get used to them and it's no big deal. I don't know if it's being above the water or what, but I am perfectly comfortable now walking around the edges and even looking down at the fish. Most platforms you will spend any large amount of time on are bigger than your house anyway so it's really a non-event.

What if you're scared of heights and you can't swim? :) I'm fine flying but I get scared when I'm fixed to the ground like Eric pointed out. You won't get me next to a window in a skyscraper! I'm also scared of deep water where I can't see what's under me. If i get in the lake I have to have a life jacket on and stay right next to the boat! I've been in the ocean before but I can't go any futher than I can touch. lol

I think I would be fine flying to a platform, but I would be extremely scared of getting out!

Edited by DieselBoy

I've probably landed on about as many drilling rigs as platforms, and there are a lot of platform drilling rigs out there too. They just put the rig up on the platform and drill. You can be pedantic if you want, but helicopters fly to drilling rigs more often than to platforms at least on a percentage basis. Most of the drilling jobs are flown by the majors, though, using medium or large helicopters.

Acrophobia is not a rational emotion, so it's not unusual for people to be afraid in some situations and not in others, which might seem very similar. Familiarity can help a lot.

When I was a cop, we had a jumper on a ledge on the 20th floor of a building downtown Denver. My partner and I were the first there. I got out on the ledge and got the crap scared out of me. The wind, the psycho, the small ledge I was standing on, and the height got to me... But in a helo, no problem. We used to train on the roof tops of the sky scrapers and I had no problem. Probably because you have some control. I could stay up there on the edge all day. I agree that its different for everyone in different situations.

Whats funny about heights is that you can put a 20' 6x6 post on the ground and you can do cartwheels down it...now lift it up 30' into the air! Different story.

P.s. If you're wondering what happened on the ledge with the jumper...he jumped and nearly took one of our officers with him.

I've probably landed on about as many drilling rigs as platforms, and there are a lot of platform drilling rigs out there too. They just put the rig up on the platform and drill. You can be pedantic if you want, but helicopters fly to drilling rigs more often than to platforms at least on a percentage basis. Most of the drilling jobs are flown by the majors, though, using medium or large helicopters.

Acrophobia is not a rational emotion, so it's not unusual for people to be afraid in some situations and not in others, which might seem very similar. Familiarity can help a lot.

I just read last week there were only 60 active drilling rig in the entire GOM. How many platforms

are there? 4000? 5000? Pendantic? I'm not even going to look it up. Which GOM were you in?

I just read last week there were only 60 active drilling rig in the entire GOM. How many platforms

are there? 4000? 5000? Pendantic? I'm not even going to look it up. Which GOM were you in?

I promise there are well over 60 Drilling Rigs in the GoM. I probably saw 20 today just in SMI, EI, SS areas. I can't find an article that lists how many there actually are. I did find one from a few years back which listed some of them not drilling due to low oil prices. That obviously is not true today. That article listed 150 active drilling rigs in the GoM. I would say that number is probably closer to 200 today.

When I worked for Air Log, I landed on the Gorilla IV for a couple of months, but nothing else during my time there. There are some specific drilling support jobs that do nothing but fly to rigs, but I wouldn't go so far as to say a majority of landings are made on rigs. The majority of S-76 and larger aircraft landings may be on rigs, but the small ships still spend a lot of time servicing platforms.

If you don't like the normal platforms, then you'll just love landing to a single stem toadstool in the winter. With 10-12' seas and howling winds it's fun. Once you get it on the deck, as graceful as the sky gods we think we are, the deck pitches AND rolls as much as 5 degrees, more than a lot of boats that I've landed to. Then the operators tell you to go ahead and shut down because they will be there a while. Then try to go down stairs to get out of the wind or for a smoke. Heck, I've had operators sit on the helideck and scoot on their ass to the stairs because it was pitching so much and the winds were howling.

You don't have to be afraid of heights to not have fun on a platform like that. Seriously, like the other postes said, if you work in the GOM, you WILL have to get out and walk around the platform and up and down the steel grating stairs. If you can't deal with it exposure therapy (just doing it and grin & bare it) or with your shrink, I would look for other areas of the industry to work in.

Wow..I was thinking about the oil rigs as a possibility, but now instructing seems like a safer option..lol I have serious issues with heights when it is connected(not when flying)...So I would proabaly not be able to walk down those stairs from the platform...ouch..Really 200 feet???

Most of the platforms get less than a landing a week. Most drilling rigs get multiple landings per day. There are a lot more platforms, but they don't get a lot of activity. There used to be more, but with automation and consolidation, the activity is far lower. When you get more than 9 months in the GOM you'll see what I'm talking about.

It can be fun, and sometimes funny. Back in the 80s, when automation was first getting started, the company I flew for had a couple or three automated platforms. They accessed the computers via radio, and got a computerized voice that gave the status, and the voice also sent alarms over the radio. It could be a PITA to get the same alarm over and over while flying a long trip. They had named the computers, and one was called Bruce. One morning they tried to get the daily report and Bruce refused to answer. On the report they sent in to headquarters, they put Unknown for that platform, and a note, "Couldn't wake up Bruce". That resulted in a phone call, wanting Bruce's last name and demanding that he be fired, and wanting the production report. Bruce didn't lose his job, though. :D

Heights? It amazes me that so many people are afraid of it. I don't know if I should go so far as to say I love heights but I may. Climbing things, even rickety things simply are a blast. Just on my last R&R I walked out on the lip of a 10 inch I beam under a bridge about 60-70 ft up. Yes, it was creepy having nothing to hold on to and my toes out over the edge but really it was simply mind over matter. Someone called me a daredevil.LOL. I just like over coming irrational fears and moving on. But hey, thats just me. An oil rig 200' up with steel grating and windy...sounds like nothing but fun!

Matt

... An oil rig 200' up with steel grating and windy...sounds like nothing but fun!

While I personally tend to agree, I suggest you reserve judgement until you've had a chance to experience offshore structures and weather conditions first hand if you've not already.

I wasn't particulary fond of checking tiedowns on a certain Christmas eve when the winds measured over 65 knots. Had I fallen or been blown off the otherwise sound platform it's highly unlikely anyone would have heard me scream. By the time they realized I was missing the current would have carried my lifeless hulk miles away.

Bob

PS - you might enjoy this sort of thing as well: http://www.cfworldrecord.com/2007/

Heights? It amazes me that so many people are afraid of it. I don't know if I should go so far as to say I love heights but I may. Climbing things, even rickety things simply are a blast. Just on my last R&R I walked out on the lip of a 10 inch I beam under a bridge about 60-70 ft up. Yes, it was creepy having nothing to hold on to and my toes out over the edge but really it was simply mind over matter. Someone called me a daredevil.LOL. I just like over coming irrational fears and moving on. But hey, thats just me. An oil rig 200' up with steel grating and windy...sounds like nothing but fun!

Matt

Brother, there's nothing "irrational" in a reasonable amount of fear of height. Anything that can kill you DEAD should generate some fear in a reasonable, rational and aware individual. It's a necessary stress, makes you careful, and if you're smart and determined enough, courageous.

The other condition- not knowing enough to be scared and cautious- frequently makes "Darwin Award Winners"...

• 3 weeks later...
Brother, there's nothing "irrational" in a reasonable amount of fear of height. Anything that can kill you DEAD should generate some fear in a reasonable, rational and aware individual. It's a necessary stress, makes you careful, and if you're smart and determined enough, courageous.

The other condition- not knowing enough to be scared and cautious- frequently makes "Darwin Award Winners"...

Ahh yes. I do believe I miss used the word "irrational". I don't think I will delve into this much more because I don't have a degree in pychology, or anything for that matter, and I don't want to compose a sentence that could invaribley be taken apart. I will say though that when I was crossing that I-beam, I did feel a healthy dose of fear, but my thrill I think comes from over coming the fear by thinking logically and I think that is where my satisfaction comes from. So, being high up on an "oil structure" on a windy day will I think do the same for me. I can't imagine not liking it only because I have never had a bad "height" experience in the past. I will say though that free climbing on a high vertical rock ledge does not appeal to me. I prefer to have saftey ropes. I have my limits...

Matt

Relyon, your hulk wouldn't necessarily be lifeless, at least not right away. I know of at least one pilot who fell from an offshore helideck and survived.

Another aspect of offshore platforms that isn't often discussed is landing technique. Those who fly out there know this, but new guys making their first approach and landing are usually surprised. Most students are taught to land from a hover by looking out in the distance. That won't work on a platform, because the distance can be moving up and down, and because there is no perspective. Looking out toward the horizon when trying to land will almost always result in bent metal. You have to look down where you're going to land, and forget about the horizon and the distance and the water. This works whether landing on a platform or a pitching boat or barge deck. I've reached the point where I simply cannot do a good, smooth landing by looking forward, I have to look down through the chin bubble or the lower windshield or side window. I've done it so long, it's become natural.