Embry Riddle or College of the Sequois

It is very fast paced, and I think they just don't want people there who aren't very serious. So they set the standards high.

Bingo

So the school isn't JUST like the military. Just some things remind me of it. And yes. It shouldn't be that way.

I don't know why the school has to be so stressful. It is very fast paced, and I think they just don't want people there who aren't very serious. So they set the standards high.

Since 99% of the students are on the GI Bill, we get pushed around some because they know there is a small market for GI Bill approved flight schools and it seems as if they are doing us a favor. People don't understand that we are still paying for it. Just because the Government is "paying" for it, doesn't mean we didn't put in our time in the first place.

I fail to see how a school pushing you around is doing you a favor... That's like saying the bully that is stealing lunch money is doing those kids a favor and keeping them skinny.

And your high standards (80% mandatory for the written) only guarantee that you will be able to move on to the next stage of training which equates to $$$

The faster you get trained, the faster they get paid.

Bingo

I used ASA prepware to study for my written test and you had to score above 80% on at least 2 tests before they would give you the endorsement to take the real one, that's not a "high standard", that's just normal. Besides, do you really want to be the guy who just barely passes his tests? Would you want to spend your money on a CFI who was just a "C" student?

My school went from 0-CFII in 6 months. The atmosphere there never felt rushed, or stressful. If you're uncomfortable at your school, just find another one!

Edited by eagle5

Just finding another school is not always that easy. Then toss in the GI Bill factor and your choices can drop or completely disappear depending on where you are and/or your ability to relocate. A school acting like they are doing you a favor is hardly restricted to schools who take GI Bill students.

(my other post above got all screwed up with the quote feature)

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

Lots of good information here. I have 2 months left and been researching a lot. I decided not to go to embry since its about $23000 diffrence the gi bill will cover. CoS idk I don't mind working and I am a hard worker BUT I haven't been to school in 5 yrs and I don't want to start something get stressed and fail. I'm now looking at UPPERLIMIT AVIATION and GUIDENCE.

I also have to get the wife to agree and that's being a challenge in its self.

Firstly, I would agree that it doesn't matter which college or university you received a degree from, as long as it was received by a regionally accreditied institution. That being said certian colleges and universities are better known and regarded for certain programs.

Embry-Riddle is consistently ranked among the top Engineering schools. Likewise, they are well known across the aviation industry for their aeronautical programs, such as Aviation Business Administration. My friends in that program were afforded some really good internships, and some had job offers from those companies upon graduation. While those opportunities exist for students at any other school, I'd say there are advantages for the students at ERAU. I'll try not to go into the whole sales pitch, but think larger number of students in that program, possibly higher level of professors and education, more alumni working at those big companies, etc.

I know there is some criticism out there of ERAU, but honestly I haven't noticed it after I started going there and after graduating. Personally, I think some of it might have to do with the stereotype of cocky, rich, white kids, whose parents are paying their way through ERAU. Nowdays though there is a large constituent of veterans on cammpus, and the university works very hard to support the student veterans. Plus, their helicopter program is becoming more well known and popular. I've known three students who have gotten to log more than a couple hours in a MD902 Explorer through the program's relationship with MD Helicopters. Also, another student just got a turbine transition with MD and will go fly that in one of their MD500's. Papillon is another supporter of the program, and have their internship which leads to a guaranteed job interview after you have your hours. Plus VR's own Lyn Burks visited ERAU a couple weeks ago to give a helicopter seminar.

With regards to helicopter flying specifically, a college degree is not that important for a pilot in the vast majority of the industry. Whether that might change as jobs becomoe more competitive remains to be seen. I elected to get a Bachelors degree (in an area outside of aviation) as it is required for some of the pilot jobs I hope to apply for in the future.

As far as ERAU Prescott and Universal Helicopters, they are still advertising 100% coverage of training fees through their new program that includes Dodge City Community College. I will say one nice thing I've noticed UHI doing, is that if they hire you and you still have a year or two until you finish your degree with ERAU they will work with you on that. If needed they'll work you part time as an instructor so that you can continue your education to finish your degree. That program with Dode City Comm. Coll. is newer though and I honestly haven't had the time or inclination to look into it further and find out exactly how it will work.

My personal advice to someone would be to do your helicopter training at a two-year college with approved program, and then look into finishing up a Bachelors degree with ERAU Worldwide or at one of their satellite campuses. Just be sure to look at which courses will transfer to the degree you're interested in from the very beginning.

Elite Flight Training & Management in Las Vegas is training VA supported pilots, helicopter & airplane and has 18 FITS SBT Facilitators.

http://iflyelite.com/

Edited for incorectness. Sounds like Elite would definitely be worth a look too.

Edited by rjl2001

Firstly, I would agree that it doesn't matter which college or university you received a degree from, as long as it was received by a regionally accreditied institution. That being said certian colleges and universities are better known and regarded for certain programs.

Embry-Riddle is consistently ranked among the top Engineering schools. Likewise, they are well known across the aviation industry for their aeronautical programs, such as Aviation Business Administration. My friends in that program were afforded some really good internships, and some had job offers from those companies upon graduation. While those opportunities exist for students at any other school, I'd say there are advantages for the students at ERAU. I'll try not to go into the whole sales pitch, but think larger number of students in that program, possibly higher level of professors and education, more alumni working at those big companies, etc.

I know there is some criticism out there of ERAU, but honestly I haven't noticed it after I started going there and after graduating. Personally, I think some of it might have to do with the stereotype of cocky, rich, white kids, whose parents are paying their way through ERAU. Nowdays though there is a large constituent of veterans on cammpus, and the university works very hard to support the student veterans. Plus, their helicopter program is becoming more well known and popular. I've known three students who have gotten to log more than a couple hours in a MD902 Explorer through the program's relationship with MD Helicopters. Also, another student just got a turbine transition with MD and will go fly that in one of their MD500's. Papillon is another supporter of the program, and have their internship which leads to a guaranteed job interview after you have your hours. Plus VR's own Lyn Burks visited ERAU a couple weeks ago to give a helicopter seminar.

With regards to helicopter flying specifically, a college degree is not that important for a pilot in the vast majority of the industry. Whether that might change as jobs becomoe more competitive remains to be seen. I elected to get a Bachelors degree (in an area outside of aviation) as it is required for some of the pilot jobs I hope to apply for in the future.

As far as ERAU Prescott and Universal Helicopters, they are still advertising 100% coverage of training fees through their new program that includes Dodge City Community College. I will say one nice thing I've noticed UHI doing, is that if they hire you and you still have a year or two until you finish your degree with ERAU they will work with you on that. If needed they'll work you part time as an instructor so that you can continue your education to finish your degree. That program with Dode City Comm. Coll. is newer though and I honestly haven't had the time or inclination to look into it further and find out exactly how it will work.

My personal advice to someone would be to do your helicopter training at a two-year college with approved program, and then look into finishing up a Bachelors degree with ERAU Worldwide or at one of their satellite campuses. Just be sure to look at which courses will transfer to the degree you're interested in from the very beginning.

Elite Flight Training does look like a great school, but it deserves mentioning that they do not have an approved college program affiliated with their helicopter training. The much more popular method of using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch.33) for flight training is to attend a certified collegiate helicopter program where up to 100% of training costs may be covered.

Elite Flight Training & Management recently announced their partnership with Westfield State University, a four-year public university in Massachusetts. The partnership allows veterans to use post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to complete a Bachelor’s degree through Westfield State University’s Business Management Program with a concentration in Aviation Management. Veterans can obtain the following: private pilot certificate, instrument rating, commercial certificate, Certified Flight Instructor (CFI), Certified Flight Instructor Instrument (CFII), and Airline Transport Pilot (ATP), while completing degrees in Business Management or Liberal Studies.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

Just like Mike mentioned about Elite, we DO have a full college program so that veterans with the GI bill or even non veterans can receive a 4 year degree and have 100% of their training paid for! I'm a helicopter CFI at Elite, Ive been there for a year now and helped them put this program together. It's a really great opportunity! And who wouldn't want to train in Vegas. We have great weather year round, you get high DA in the summer, and lots of mountainous terrain for training. We only train in brand new R44 raven II's with A/C. I'd be happy to answer any questions feel free to contact me at my direct email chris@iflyelite.com or any VA questions contact Kristin Duarte, kristin@iflyelite.com

• Like 2

You only train in AC equipped brand new R44s? Why? So basically when this 100% funding of flight school paid for by the government comes to an end (and it will) your school has put itself in a position to be ridiculously way more expensive than necessary. Why did the school put itself in a position to be beyond the budgets of most students? Or is it that only GI Bill students train completely in R44s since the government is footing the bill? I cant imagine many students could do Private-CFII footing the bill for a 44.

Edited by Flying Pig

You only train in AC equipped brand new R44s? Why? So basically when this 100% funding of flight school paid for by the government comes to an end (and it will) your school has put itself in a position to be ridiculously way more expensive than necessary. Why did the school put itself in a position to be beyond the budgets of most students? Or is it that only GI Bill students train completely in R44s since the government is footing the bill? I cant imagine many students could do Private-CFII footing the bill for a 44.

FB,

Your questions are valid but your assumptions are not in an overall helicopter operation.

Use of AC equipped R44's could be to utilize aircraft that are required for tours, utility ops, foreign training requirements, etc.

It makes sense to have a perpetuating business model that works beyond flight training of VA students.

Mike

FP,

When the 44's aren't flight training we fly tours full time. Vegas reaches temps of 115 degrees in the summer. Why wouldn't you fly with A/C!? Our focus is GI students. We do have a hand full of students that aren't GI and pay out of pocket. The school isn't a new flight school. We are in the process of becoming accredited as well as teaming up with other aviation college degree programs. I'm simply offering info for anyone interested.

That might be true, Mike, but it's been said a million times on these forums that if the school wants you to train in ONLY 44's that you should look else where.

It's great that they have A/C in the aircraft and I can definitely see how that would be nice for tours and other operations, but for training purposes, what stands out is "we only train in 44's."

That might be true, Mike, but it's been said a million times on these forums that if the school wants you to train in ONLY 44's that you should look else where.

It's great that they have A/C in the aircraft and I can definitely see how that would be nice for tours and other operations, but for training purposes, what stands out is "we only train in 44's."

Lee (RTB),

I guess if it has been said a million times that it is true or gospel. Anyone can post here a million times but does not have to meet the financial commitment of running a helicopter operation that includes a flight school. Like I said only once before (not a million times) if foreign contract training, tours, utility operations, etc. require R44's and make good business sense why not train in that airframe also.

No one is forced to train at any school. Learn to fly where you want to! I will not say a million times to fly anywhere. Make your choice as fits your life and financial ability.

How many International flight schools provide FITS SBT modern curriculums in both airplanes and helicopters ab initio as requested by some foreign entities and recommended by the NTSB with a fully trained staff of qualified facilitators? Answer: only one, Elite Flight Training & Management.

Advice, "learn to fly where you want to".

Lots of good information here. I have 2 months left and been researching a lot. I decided not to go to embry since its about $23000 diffrence the gi bill will cover. CoS idk I don't mind working and I am a hard worker BUT I haven't been to school in 5 yrs and I don't want to start something get stressed and fail. I'm now looking at UPPERLIMIT AVIATION and GUIDENCE.

I also have to get the wife to agree and that's being a challenge in its self.

I had a one-on-one with someone from SLCC two weeks ago about my training at ULA where I was informed that I would be one of only three new students this summer because all the students hoping to use VA benefits (42 new students) would be unable to do so. I was never intending to use VA benefits so I didn't ask any questions.

I recommend getting in touch with someone as soon as possible.

If you're a modern day 200hr CFII who has never flown an R22 or an S300 and you can find a job, hats off to ya, 'cus you just won the lottery! Even if all R44 training became a "norm", why would anyone (including our government) pay almost twice as much for the same training, which leads to the same first job!?

The most prominent entry level job in the helicopter industry for a newly graduated pilot is that of a CFI.

In order to posture one’s self to be marketable for any CFI job is; CFII certification meeting The Robinson SFAR 73 requirements in both the R22 and R44 and having enough S300 time to be competent.

The majority of flight schools in this county operate the R22. Second would be the S300.

With the above in mind, it is not advisable to only train in the R44. If you do, you’re chances of getting hired beyond the institution where you trained at becomes restricted. With that, all students, regardless of where you come from, must understand flight schools cannot hire all of its graduates. You must meet the second paragraph requirements to be marketable for that first step into this industry. Either way, after graduation it simply becomes a numbers game.

With that, if the environment is a limiting factor requiring a particular machine, then I suggest students seek a school that will provide the best opportunity to get hired once you graduate and not one that limits the use of additional types of machines.

Furthermore, obtaining a degree is a minor consideration compared to what it takes to get your first helicopter job. Therefore, why emphasize collage location over the necessity of becoming marketable for your first gig?

Distinguished service members, with no connection to any flight school I highly recommend doing your research in earnest. If you don’t, you may regret your decision to seek a career in this business. The fact is, many, and I mean many others already have......

Edited by Spike

Thanks for the information Mikemv and VegasChris. When will there be more information about the Post 9/11 program? Neither the flight school's website nor the university's website seem to mention the program. I'm assuming all the academic classes are online since the university is in MA? It's nice to see a new college-helicopter partnership, I don't think there has been a new one in the last year or two.

As far as a flight school only having R-44s, it seems to be becoming more common. I've noticed a handful of small flight schools that only have 44s, and yes I think most of them advertised other types of work such as sightseeing, charter, photo flights, etc. I've heard a few people tell me they think the training industry will start shifting more into the R-44, maybe they're right.

As far as a flight school only having R-44s, it seems to be becoming more common. I've noticed a handful of small flight schools that only have 44s, and yes I think most of them advertised other types of work such as sightseeing, charter, photo flights, etc. I've heard a few people tell me they think the training industry will start shifting more into the R-44, maybe they're right.

Once the G.I. Bill money dries up, they'll be back to the R22. By the way EVERY school, and I do mean EVERY school out there, regardless of what they fly, does "other" types of work, such as sightseeing, charter, photo flights, etc...! You don't need all R44s for that!,...or even one!

Once the G.I. Bill money dries up, they'll be back to the R22. By the way EVERY school, and I do mean EVERY school out there, regardless of what they fly, does "other" types of work, such as sightseeing, charter, photo flights, etc...! You don't need all R44s for that!,...or even one!

Wow, here is a gospel statement for sure, EVERY school does charter (requires a 135 Air Taxi Certificate).

R44's are not required for many things including flight instruction but how can you make a blanket statement about what EVERY school does? More gospel spoken by the all knowing.

I would ask how many flight schools have an Air Taxi Certificate and where is there focus?

We do offer an R22 but it's for part 61. We don't have it under our 141. For our school and our students training in an R44 just makes more sense. It's safer! Our DA reaches almost 7K in the summer. You are on the boarder of dangerous doing auto's in a R22 at that point. More and more schools are training in the 44 vs the 22. You can't do the tours we do in a R22. We have a very successful tour program. We also work with one of the large tour companies to feed them pilots once our CFI's reach the required time. After all Vegas is a mecca for helicopter tourism.

rjl2001- the program is online classes. If you need anymore info please contact kristin@iflyelite.com she will be happy to answer any GI post 9/11 questions. Thanks.