Kiowa Divestment MILPER

We must have different definitions of 'brand new' then. I did get to take delivery of some new Lakotas at the factory and fly them cross country, funny how new aircraft seem to leak where they aren't supposed to leak.

I hope you are joking.

I was hoping to fly a Lakota at some point, it looks to be a very versatile helo.

Joking about the unexpected leaks? No. We took delivery of some helicopters that went straight into 'hangar queen' status and required major component rebuild or replacement. I'm talking main transmissions, engines, etc. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's going to function perfectly. The Lakota is a good aircraft, very easy to fly but doesn't like the desert heat and sand.

Joking about the unexpected leaks? No. We took delivery of some helicopters that went straight into 'hangar queen' status and required major component rebuild or replacement. I'm talking main transmissions, engines, etc. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's going to function perfectly. The Lakota is a good aircraft, very easy to fly but doesn't like the desert heat and sand.

I had read about the heat and sands issue, but since it is apparently a well known issue, I thought it would be fixed by now.

As far as needing to replace engine and transmissions go, that doesn't exactly give me too much confidence on the build quality of the helicopter which is very disappointing considering the ARMY is trying to save money. You would think buying a new airframe would help you lower maintenance costs, not raise them.

No sh*t. I stopped trying to think of the ways the hook can break and end me. Its 20,000 moving parts circling an oil leak just waiting to mesh rotors....

But man is it a machine to fly...

No sh*t. I stopped trying to think of the ways the hook can break and end me. Its 20,000 moving parts circling an oil leak just waiting to mesh rotors....

But man is it a machine to fly...

Man, you are "that guy", but not the bad kind. While most guys dread studying, you are probably over there browsing the IETM.to figure out what kind of washer is on a bolt.

• 4 years later...

Yea. I like the double speak. The board does what all boards do. Retain people. The Army managed a way to reduce CWO ranks and ditch an aircraft, all at the same time.

And it will f*ck over good dudes, like it always does.

Sorry for the revival, but does anyone know how many guys got their pink slip over the 58D divestiture? I don't mean to include the numerous folks in the other communities that were passed over and got out because their airframe was suddenly overstrength either, just the Kiowa guys that got a "thank you for your service" from the Army.

The way it worked out in the end I don’t think there were too many that just got a “have a good life” from the Army. Lots of folks UQRd, or were offered transitions and turned them down. I eventually got offered a transition but chose to ride my time out as a 58 pilot and take severance to fund my airline career. From what I saw there were options to stay in but they weren’t always very palatable.