My pet peeve

I have got to get this out. If you are searching for a job, and expect a potential employer to call you back on your cell phone, CHANGE YOUR RINGBACK TONE AND RECORD A PROFESSIONAL SOUNDING VOICEMAIL MESSAGE!

We got a call today inquiring about a flight instructor position, I called this person back, and his ringback tone was some death metal song. His voicemail message was a couple of girls trying (poorly) to sing some rap song, and eventually say leave a message (after about three minutes). If I had been calling to offer an interview, I would have changed my mind on the spot. Just because YOU like your ringback, doesn't mean an employer will.

If you REALLY want to get a job then you need to sweat the small stuff...

I have got to get this out. If you are searching for a job, and expect a potential employer to call you back on your cell phone, CHANGE YOUR RINGBACK TONE AND RECORD A PROFESSIONAL SOUNDING VOICEMAIL MESSAGE!

We got a call today inquiring about a flight instructor position, I called this person back, and his ringback tone was some death metal song. His voicemail message was a couple of girls trying (poorly) to sing some rap song, and eventually say leave a message (after about three minutes). If I had been calling to offer an interview, I would have changed my mind on the spot. Just because YOU like your ringback, doesn't mean an employer will.

If you REALLY want to get a job then you need to sweat the small stuff...

I agree with this peeve. :)

Ha. I had a similiar incident a couple of weeks ago. A gentleman put in an application for a job, looked great on paper, had experience, etc... Got his voicemail which was 2Pac singing some very off color music. I hung up and that was that.

CHAD

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that the bloody truth...

Sigh...

Also, don't show up for an interview in jeans and a t-shirt... If you want a professional job, look the part. Personally I've always worn a suit to my interviews, worked every time. You can never be over dressed for an interview (unless told to dress down) and you can always take the tie and jacket off.

You have to present yourself as a professional in both personal appearance & dress.

To be employable you have to be able to fit in with all your employers customers and other employees.

JEHH says a suit helps! I would say you cant go wrong that way, and if it is a more relaxed Co it is still no problem to dress down, when you are employed.

If you and a person with the same qualifications turned up for a job and all things equal, one was clean in suit or at least slacks and shirt, the other in tatty jeans and T shirt and not to personally presentable. who would you employ? the person who made effort or the slob.

1st impressions do count they may not be correct but it could be to late.

FLHooker says it all.

"I had a similar incident a couple of weeks ago. A gentleman put in an application for a job, looked great on paper, had experience, etc... Got his voicemail which was 2Pac singing some very off color music. I hung up and that was that".

A suit and tie for a helicopter pilot job would be over the top. You really need to think

about the job you are applying for. A suit and tie would say you don't know. People in the

helicopter business don't WEAR suits and ties. Dress pants, button down shirt, dress shoes

and a belt. It's what's expected. Flying helicopters is basically a blueish-collar job.

A suit and tie for a helicopter pilot job would be over the top. You really need to think about the job you are applying for. A suit and tie would say you don't know.

I've worn a suit to every job interview I've been on since I was 19... Gotten all but 1 of them, so it does help...

People in the helicopter business don't WEAR suits and ties.

I've been interviewed by more than one person in this business who was wearing one himself. Again, you can always take the jacket off and put it on the back of the chair, but you can never run out to the car to get it.

I don't wear a suit during the normal day either, in fact I often wear blue jeans and a polo shirt at work. If someone showed up in a suit, I'd offer them to hang up the jacket to be more comfortable and move on.

Dress pants, button down shirt, dress shoes and a belt. It's what's expected. Flying helicopters is basically a blueish-collar job.

That attire would also be perfectly acceptable... I'm just sick of the blue jeans and t-shirt thing on interviews, it is really old... Also, tuck in your shirt, at least make that much effort.

OK, y'all, especially those who make hiring decisions... ;)

Two equally qualified women show up for an interview. One in decent slacks, flat shoes and button down shirt, the other in a skirt (interview formal for women in other professions) and dress shoes. This is not a jacket you can slip on the back of a chair, it is a pair of shoes and a skirt that would trip you up on the flight line -- is the second woman more professionally dressed or is she clueless? I've also never gone to a job interview in anything but a suit, but I think there may be a new 'first' in my future.

HVG

Should'nt your attire match the job you applying for??

With my little flight training, that is one thing i've noticed, all the instructors were dressed formal.

Maybe its a school requirement, i dont know. But if you were applying for a job as an instructor or a high timer applying for a corporate job, i would think you'd wanna be "dressed up". vs applying for an ag spraying job (no offence anyone) which you maybe dont "need" to be dressed up as much.

Just my 0.02$

Hovergirl

Would look at the resume of the ladys, I would say they were both dressed within my comfort zone, if the skirt was more a "pelmet" then it would be inappropriate, same as plunging neck lines, may Look great but not for an interview.

You have to remember the customer you fly can be your granny or a way out dude, gran wants to feel confident.

My granny 92 would freak if the pilot turned up with piercing face tattoos and t shirt & torn jeans as I say you have to appeal to the majority.

I know a good pilot ( ex military left and went a bit wild ) that has the lot he tried for 8 jobs with the above description and got none, tried a suit & lost the metalwork got the next job he applied for, as it was AG he turned up for work after a few months as Normal (for him) and the boss told him he would not have even got to the flight test if he had turned up like that!

I think there was a lady pilot flying for Bell in the 50s who wore a skirt ans carried a handbag, don't know where she hung it in flight, so what is appropriate for the 21 century?