Nomex???

Witch

I stopped at the military surplus store while on the way to the dump to pick up a couple of P-38 can openers. I then perused the flightsuit section, and came upon a jacket that looks lke a CWU-45. The tag on it said $40, so I snagged it. SCORE !!!!!

So I'm looking at the tag, and it says that it's made of 100% aramid. I then got to thinking if this was nomex.

post-2940-1222400789_thumb.jpg

Is it?

Later

Edited by Witch

And why did you buy this? Do you work in a high risk environment like Fire supression or in the military? If you don't and you wear this gear then you risk being a poser. Please, match the gear to the mission.

The tag on it said $40, so I snagged it. SCORE !!!!!

So I'm looking at the tag, and it says that it's made of 100% aramid. I then got to thinking if this was nomex.

post-2940-1222400789_thumb.jpg

Witch- Thanks man, but a large just wont fit. I'm more of a 48 Long...but its the thought that counts.

Goldy

And why did you buy this? Do you work in a high risk environment like Fire supression or in the military? If you don't and you wear this gear then you risk being a poser. Please, match the gear to the mission.
Even if he doesn't work in a high risk environment nothing says he can't wear protective clothing. A flight school I use to fly out of was considering making it policy to wear nomex flight suits, after a crash resulted in one of the students getting badly burned over half of his body. Even if it's not high risk, the risk of fire is always present in a crash. I don't think it's a bad idea at all to wear a flight suit, even at the risk of being called a "poser." Do I wear a flight suit, no. but that also doesn't mean that just because I'm going out for a leisure flight I should wear sandels and a non-buttoned up hawiian shirt.

Poser?

Dude, if you've read most of my posts, you'd know I'm the biggest poser there ever was, or is.

Really, I've been wanting a CWU-45 for a long time-like 1985. I didn't know where to get one at the time. I mean even a friend of mine had gotten one of those "Battlestar Galactica Colonial Warrior" jackets. He wouldn't tell me where he got it. I wanted one, but never got one.

I've been looking at Ebay and online surplus stores, but the cost is still prohibative. I was thinking of getting the nylon one from Alpha because they're about $90. I just happened upon this one for $40, and I snagged it. Besides, I was in the Air Force. I deserve it.

I don't work in a high-risk environment, unless building motor coaches is high-risk, but it doesn't matter. This is something I want, not need.

If you're wondering, I also have a nomex flightsuit-tan, SPH-4 helmet, and nomex gloves I was issued back in 88 while assigned to a GLCM unit-we played Army. Maybe one day I'll go super-mega cheesey and wear all for a flight over to Albany and do patterns, stopping briefly to use the facilities in the FBO. Can you see the swagger?

Better yet, set down next to the Oregon Guard at Salem and start a ruckus there.

Take care.

Later.

By making comments like this you may be exposing yourself to "indie music" levels of elitist douche-bagery. It has been shown to cause cancer and lack of friends in animal studies.

Witch got any pics in the whole get-up?

I wear a helmet.

I wear Nomex gloves (in sage green!).

I'm flying a Robbie.

I don't dress for the mission, I dress for the unscheduled termination of it.

By making comments like this you may be exposing yourself to "indie music" levels of elitist douche-bagery. It has been shown to cause cancer and lack of friends in animal studies.

Witch got any pics in the whole get-up?

Douche-baggery?

I'll take a few pics and upload'em soon. Just don't break your coccyx when you fall out of your chair.

Actually, yesterday I flew without the nomex and hardhat...IN A MACHINE I HADN'T FLOWN BEFORE !!! Talk about an eye opener. The bird seemed a bit lighter than 92U, and more sensitive to inputs. I couldn't find the transponder...under the GPS...I don't know how to operate that particular model...it has that dang carb heat assist...and the intercom panel, well, it has one...and the piece de resisteance, the frequancy change buttons ona da stick. What's with having a gun trigger to key the mike? What's with the ELT? Why is there styorfoam under the passenger seat?

My passenger didn't show up, so having that thing so light made for interesting liftoff dynamics. The nose lifted up, I adjusted, and the back of the skids were bouncing back and forth. That makes you want to pull pitch, 35" MAP...at least.

It took a little to get used to it, but I must say that the rebuilt SILVER STATE ship they recently bought is pretty good. I might fly 558SH some more. I still prefer 92U, but check this out-85T is getting a new engine and blades. She'a a Beta, but with a new engine, she'll finally have power. I'm looking forward to wearing nomex with her.

Sorry for the hijack.

Later

Edited by Witch

OK, so here're the photos of moi in nomex. I used my "serious-this is no joke-we got a job to do" face so as not to project unprofessionalism to any future employers that might happen onto this topic sometime in the unforseeable future.

Be kind.

post-2940-1222713316_thumb.jpg

post-2940-1222713337_thumb.jpg

post-2940-1222713366_thumb.jpg

post-2940-1222713382_thumb.jpg

Not responsible for broken funny bones.

Later

Is there ever a time when flying a helicopter you are not in a high risk environment? I don't think so. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing as much safety equipment as you possibly can.

LOL,

Oh well, I guess most of these responses are from neophytes who like to overstress the "danger" of helicopter flight. You are at no greater risk than the recreational pilot who takes his Cessna 172 out for a spin on the weekends. LOL, man, you guys make me laugh!

It's appears obvious that most of the responses are from newbies that have never worn nomex for a living much less flown in an environment that would warrant wearing nomex everyday. If you want to wear a zoom bag every time you go up, then by all means, do so. On second thought, considering your experience level and aircraft, it's probably a good idea to wear nomex.

Bayou 06, I tend to think you are a little off base here...the responses are from grown adults who are free to make their own choices about what they wear and feel its immature for someone to ridicule them just to ridicule them....as it seems you are doing...what do you care what Witch wears.. He's not employed by you...so buzz off..

Ryan

On second thought, considering your experience level and aircraft, it's probably a good idea to wear nomex.

Ahem. Between the pics of witch in his Top Gun getup and the whole conversation, I thought the following quotes from a certain movie were apropos (of course, it could just be my sense of humor is a bit off. . .)

:D

Iceman: You two really are cowboys.

Maverick: What's your problem, Kazanski?

Iceman: You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

Maverick: That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous.

LOL,

Oh well, I guess most of these responses are from neophytes who like to overstress the "danger" of helicopter flight. You are at no greater risk than the recreational pilot who takes his Cessna 172 out for a spin on the weekends. LOL, man, you guys make me laugh!

It's appears obvious that most of the responses are from newbies that have never worn nomex for a living much less flown in an environment that would warrant wearing nomex everyday. If you want to wear a zoom bag every time you go up, then by all means, do so. On second thought, considering your experience level and aircraft, it's probably a good idea to wear nomex.

As one of the professionals who wears the full nomex line (as well as the rest of the ALSE kit) working in one of the most high-risk aviaiton environments out there, and as a former grunt who has picked up the pieces of several downed aircraft, I am hereby declaring you an idiot.

There are many situations that can cause even the most experienced crews to get an upclose and personal view of the terrain they are flying over. I don't care if you're in a R-22 or a CH-47, every flight has the potential to become very dangerous. When you hit the ground, you don't have the luxury of fixing the mistakes you made prior to your flight. If you aren't wearing the propper protective clothing (or at least dressing sensible i.e. sturdy shoes or boots, long sleaves, eye protection, etc.), you make youre chances of surviving the incident without looking like Freddy Kruger marginal at best.

I've seen your type of attitude before... Usually whenever we have to review crash data. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who has the burden of flying with you... And also for those unsuspecting people below your flight path.

LOL,

Yeah, I wore Nomex for a living. Your scoff at the notion reminds me of the guys I run into who question my use of a helmet and armor when I ride my bike cross-country... do whatever you want, man - if you've got a $200 head, by all means feel free to wear a $200 helmet.

I once wore Nomex for a living. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and if nobody is firing tracers at you, it's mostly worthless. I can't find a survivable civilian accident in which Nomex saved anyone. I avoid it if possible. But I have no quarrel with anyone who wants to wear it. It's none of my business.

Boys boys boys... Calm Down Pleezeeee.

I just wanted to know if this aramid was nomex. I didn't mean to start pissin match.

As for the getup, sometimes I wear it, sometimes I don't.

As for the jacket, I've been wanting one for a time, and I got it. It's just another jacket, and I like patches.

Don't get on each other for wearing it or not. It may work in a crash, or may not.

Bayou, I may be a poser that overstresses safety, but I'm not. I'm just another guy that's trying to do his best to get through life without causing undue harm to myself and others. The nomex is not necessarily for safety as for functionality. I have a cotton flightsuit also. It's black with a Snoopy patch. Once again, functionality.

You are correct about us being at no greater risk that a recreational pilot taking a spin in a 172. We aren't. Some of us take heed of safety and safety equipment, others not so much. We all know the risk of flying, or driving a car. If someone wants to reduce the risk by wearing nomex or a hardhat, go for it. If someone wants to ride their Hyabusa in shorts and T-shirt on the freeway at 179 MPH and do wheelie stops, by all means. If wearing nomex doesn't do it for you, by all means.

Bayou, Justin and Hedge wear nomex because it's part of their job. They may hate it, but they wear it. Others hate it and don't wear it. I know a pilot that quit firefighting because he finally got fed up with nomex. It ain't for everybody, and we know that. But will you question them for wearing it even if it's required by their employer? I doubt Gomer will say anything about it. He's wise.

I thnk Kelly and Beck and the rest got the humor of it all. Don't take me too seriously, I don't.

Maybe wearing that motorcycle helmet while jumping my brothers bike over 3 GI Joes didn't look too cool afterall. Hey, I was 12 at the time.

Later

LOL,

You know I am a newbie and your right I haven't worn nomex nor do I plan to, at lest not in the near future. I deify you to find where I "Overstress[sic] the 'danger' of helicopter flight."

You want to know what I'm not a newbie at dealing with holier than thou attitudes on people who think that it is acceptable to go around belittling those they deem inferior to themselves. I see a great deal of that in my current field of employ and it is the height of unprofessionalism and far more poisonous to an industry then a million posers in nomex and helmets

Witch, great pics. sorry to take all the fun out of your thread.

Edited by beckwith

If someone wants to ride their Hyabusa in shorts and T-shirt on the freeway at 179 MPH and do wheelie stops, by all means.

Man, I hope so, I hate working patrol with nothing to do. This is how I spent my Saturday morning...

http://www.crescentavalleyonline.com/artic...88076991799.txt

Sorry for the hijack, but I started wearing a bullet proof vest back before it was cool too....

Goldy

Man, I hope so, I hate working patrol with nothing to do. This is how I spent my Saturday morning...

http://www.crescentavalleyonline.com/artic...88076991799.txt

Sorry for the hijack, but I started wearing a bullet proof vest back before it was cool too....

Goldy

holy crap, was that you?!

I must admit this thread made me laugh but took a 180 soon after.

Some areas of helicopter flying are going to be more risky than others. Some of us operate in the wire environment or other situations where there are more hazards.

Risk vs reward right? In my new line of work I use a helmet and nomex. That's just how it is.

You will never see me putting another pilot down for safety equipment or other tools they have at their disposal in effort to affect a safe outcome of their flight.

Witch, great pics!! BTW, what helmet are you using if you don't mind me asking?