R44 500 hour

Hey all,

one of Rotors R44s is in for a 500 hour, thought you might like to see what is behind all that cowling. Checkout the tail rotor drive shaft, it's a mile long... the inside race on the dampener bearing slipped and is being replaced. You can also see the hydraulics on the main rotor..

more photos here:

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/R44/

aloha,

dp

Update on the 500 hr.

This R44 is a Clipper, it has floats and is treated with rust inhibitors for use in moisture rich environments.

The floats have to be inspected, here are some photos of the process. They are not filled up all the way, just enough to inflate them and check for leaks.

The fill bottle is under the left front seat (i was told at the factory course that it would have cost more to put it under the rear seat and Frank wanted to save all the $$ he could, so... ) there are a couple photos of the bottle and the trigger lever on the collective. It takes 18lbs of force to pull the lever and activate the bottle. There is a shut off valve that is manually operated and normally kept shut off unless you are on a flight where you might need them... ours is always off.

There are also a couple of close-ups of the aux fuel pump.

Thanks to Garin for the photos!!!

more float photos here:

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/R44/

aloha,

dp

Update on the 500 hr.

This R44 is a Clipper, it has floats and is treated with rust inhibitors for use in moisture rich environments.

It takes 18lbs of force to pull the lever

Dennis- you forgot to mention how much more you get to pay for those "rust inhibitors" !!

I wish they used the same 18 pound switch for the starter on the Raven II, then we wouldnt go thru flywheels every 100 hours !!

OK, enough Robbie bashing....

Any chance you guys are coming out for HAI ?? I'm always looking for an excuse to take out the 44.

Goldy

Dennis- you forgot to mention how much more you get to pay for those "rust inhibitors" !!

I wish they used the same 18 pound switch for the starter on the Raven II, then we wouldnt go thru flywheels every 100 hours !!

I have noticed the flywheels on preflights.. they are starting to go thru the flywheel gear, even at 500 hours. Can you heat those gears up and turn them around like on a car? on an old mercedes i just put the flywheel in the oven and waited for the gear to pop off, flipped it around and let it cool!! just like new!!

OK, enough Robbie bashing....

Any chance you guys are coming out for HAI ?? I'm always looking for an excuse to take out the 44.

yep, gonna be there.. would love another flight around LA at night!! amazing.

Did you get your hats?

dp

So the bottle is under seat thought that was a compression aria to save your back in heavy landing.

Still reading goldy or have you started saving?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Page 257 for floats I think

Yes, the bottle should really be back in the engine compartment or maybe in a compartment between the rear seats ??

I was still reading, but my mind is mush. What does N1 stand for again ?? TOT who ? Why do I care what exhaust temps are....it's just exhaust people...its going out into the air !!

Allright, I'll re-read those chapters later..

Goldy

Yep that's what I thought about bottle, Frank wanted to SAVE $ at the risk of some one getting hurt when this is a crumple zone ??.

Some one asking about corrosion on 44s Post from another site Dec2008

My 'aircon-hangared privately owned, never got wet' R44 started festering big-time within its first year/ 200 hrs. through corrosion The entire tailboom, tailplane and tank panels had to be refinished.

What happened about it?

How much time have we both got.......but suffice it to say RHC didn't pick the tab up or admit any liability.

Short answer? If its 2-3 years old and didn't have the previously necessary corrosion treatment ( RHC changed their paint primer to a more eco-friendly/ less effective product ..) then don't leave it in the wet for a single minute.

My new machine has the additional factory corrosion proofing that should be standard now in view of the otherwise inevitable consequences.

A terrific flying machine.

As a devout R44 follower I think RHC treated me very badly.

They obviously don't care about customer referrals, or at least didint then.

I bet they will now though, especially in the current global meltdown and with the Dollar making it a much more expensive machine in one of their biggest markets.

Dont think I will take him up on that bet

Goldy concentrate I will fly the 500 I will flyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Whatever Enjoy.

N1 = Gas producer

MAX= 105%

Ground idle= 64%

Transient limit = 106% for 15 seconds max

On the C18 TOT is real easy to exceed. the limit is TQ and TOT not the gear box, on the C20 you can over Tq gear box.

With 4 up and full fuel in our C500C with C18 you have to be REAL careful of TOT and TQ, very very easy to go over, even in our coldish climate

IMG_8912.jpg

Pic of uncontained disintegration of a C20 NOT ours I am glad to say damage to other parts was extensive due to flying debris

Sorry about thread creep