Do employers really value a Pilot/Mech?

Howdy,

I get lots of emails asking for my perspective on certain issues relating to resumes and what employers want.

One recently sent me his resume with the following quals: Low time fixed/rotor wing pilot (400 hours tt), military heli mechanic back in mid 80s, lots of jet mech experience.

His question was: Do helicopter employers really desire or value a pilot/mech combo? His perception was that they would.

I thought it was a great question and might be worth discussion. I have an opinion on the issue but will hold off for a while.

Whatta ya think?

Lyn

I was talking with a fixed-wing pilot who had just been hired to fly a prominent family around in their personal jet. He mentioned that was the sole reason he was chosen over the other applicants. If you think about it, it makes a whole lot of sense. A mechanic will notice things that other pilots might not know is a potential problem. And they'll keep a better eye on the maintenance of the aircraft too, even though they're not the ones doing the work - they'll make sure it has been done.

I just had this come up the other day at my school. I can't count how many times I've caught deadlining deficiencies on an aircraft that had gone unnoticed for months because the pre-flight checklist didn't specifically mention to look for them. It's not that the CFIs and other students don't know what they're doing, but sometimes it helps having a bit more of an in depth knowledge about what certain signs can point to a bigger problem.

Another thing that is a big issue... If you fly out to the middle of nowhere and something happens with the aircraft, a licensed A&P mechanic is authorized to fix more and sign off inspections on the aircraft to return it to a flyable status than a non-mechanic pilot who can only preform preventative maintenance.

I've heard a lot of places don't really care much either way unless that's the only thing you have over another equally qualified applicant, but it can definitely save some $$$ and hassles in the long run.

J-

In some situations, yes. Mostly, no. In a Part 135 operation, a pilot with an A&P certificate can't do any more than a pilot without one, unless he has undergone the operation's maintenance training program and annual recurrent training. Those cost money, and most operators won't bother with the training unless having a pilot/mechanic current in both areas is really necessary.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Dear Lyn and All, your example from the resume sounds like he would not be good at either being a pilot (low time split between fw & rw) and no factory rw schools! Can he currently use a Chadwick, RADS or MicroVibe? Besides, many mechanics I have know always wanted to be a pilot! Be a professional at one thing before trying to be a non-professional at two! Mike

All good points- In my opinion your example guy wont be helped much by being a mech for the reasons everyone else says. Especially considering the lack of experience working on helos. I wouldnt let an airplane mechanic touch anything other than the powerplant on one of my aircraft, and thats the component that usually needs the least attention with engines being what they are today.

I dont think it would be useful until much later in his career when he has many hours and many years of wrenching on helis under his belt. Most importantly to him probably is that he shouldnt expect to get paid more than a regular salaried pilot for his work, regardless of the hat he's wearing. I've asked plenty of mechanics about this and they almost invariably say that most operators want to pay a 2,000 hour pilot and 10 year mechanic like a 2,000 hour pilot so its not worth it.

If a slashie (pilot/mech) is looking to sell that skill set they're best off staying away from large part 135 operators, and heading towards a small 1-5 ship operator. In 10 years of flying and apprenticing he might land a sweet gig babysitting a prince's yahct toy for 130k a year.

P.S.- Does he want to wrench for a living or fly for a living??? Both eventually become work and you're bound to end up preferring one over the other. IMO alot less stress behind the stick.

Seems to me, it depends upon the way the pilot and helicopter is being used. If you are traveling around doing rides at fairs and festivals, the pilot/A/P is a very useful person. He can put the blades back on after you arrive with the helicopter on a trailer. This especially makes it a comfort factor if you are the one that removes items and puts them back on.

Sometimes you have an operator that sends a helicopter into the field for a customer that needs to hook up their equipment to the helicopter, for a temporary antenna, transmitter, or sniffer box the A/P side sure comes in handy.

I agree that for the big time 135 operators it would not be much of a factor, but for us smaller guys that are trying to work a helicopter in several different situations the pilot/A/P is a very handy person.

Another thing, you don't hear as much whine from pilots that are also wrenches. We all know about the pilot whine.

bossman

In my limited experience it seems very convenient to have a pilot that is also a mech around the flight school environment. There are tons of little questions that come up that can be answered quickly if the guy is around. On one of our 50 hours the company doing the inspections put the wire on the oil filter backwards (that is it would not have kept the filter tight but might have allowed it to unscrew a little). A dentist renting the ac that is also an A&P caught the oversight and pointed it out. The mechanic left for lunch knowing the student pilot was waiting to fly, i expect to make a point of some kind.. <_ another cfi that is also an a fixed the wire in about five minutes and flight was go.>

More importantly to me is having the on staff CFI/mech that i can run stuff by that someone out side of my organization is proposing. Like, how long an inspection should take and what is involved. I would expect that most shops would be a little more on their toes knowing that there is someone checking their work besides a pilot.

jmho,

dp

My .02 cents is in line with the others...

Small operators with 1 or 2 ships...Yes. When I had a small biz this was a big deal. Pay one guy a little more for two jobs. When you get bigger, you have to have these people doing their own thing.

Nearly every 135 operator...No. One, the pilot in a 135 is 'usually' wearing a uniform (not good for getting soiled), is under a more rigid duty schedule, and is busy flying all day long. Last thing you want to do after flying all day is climb on top and start tearing a bird apart. The operators don't want this either.

Hijacking in progress...

what about other areas of expertise? for instance I'm considering switching my degree from Aviation to Meteorology. My advisor is suggesting it not only because it'll give me more options outside of aviation but he thinks it will make me more desirable as a pilot. Will it?

Edited by beckwith

Hijacking in progress...

what about other areas of expertise? for instance I'm considering switching my degree from Aviation to Meteorology. My advisor is suggesting it not only because it'll give me more options outside of aviation but he thinks it will make me more desirable as a pilot. Will it?

It can, but you wont be flying if that's your goal. At RLC they hired a pilot/weatherman that does the daily weather. He keeps up with the constantly changing weather in the gulf and advises pilots enroute to locations on conditions and routes to take to avoid problems. Also TFR's, and any other important weather from PIREPS from the fields. He is a fully rated commercial pilot so that helps out alot. The old system used the dispatchers, and as you can imagine, it was not very effective for us pilots..."well, I see green and some yellow..."

Would be a great position for a pilot that lost his/her medical!

I think Lyn would agree, anything you can offer a potential employer that another candidate doesn't possess can help.

Hijacking in progress...

I'm not sure on the Pilot/Mech discussion as I don't have an A&P nor am I an employer. However, I applied to a company as a pilot in Oregon a while back and it came down to me and another guy. I was selected even with less hours then the other guy due to the fact that I have a Meteorology Minor. I was flat out told that's why I got chosen over the other guy so I do believe that sometimes your "specialties" help. I unfortunently had to turn them down.... but the fact is, my little "extra" helped me out on that one. I also believe that you should defentely get something other then just an aviation degree as if for some reason you do loose your medical, you have something to fall back on.

Hijacking in progress...

You could probably pick up more babes in a fashion design or nursing program :D . Just something to think about.

You could probably pick up more babes in a fashion design or nursing program :D . Just something to think about.

That's a great idea Tom. the only problem is I know some nursing students and I think I'm looking for more of a soft major like theoretical physics and fashion design? nobody wants to see that.

Thanks Angelfire I was thinking of minoring too but yeah may just take the next step and get the major.

Edited by beckwith

Hijacking in progress...

You must not be very far in a degree program to be changing majors. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Just out of curiosity, does that Meteorology program in addition to the science emphasize broadcasting?

You must not be very far in a degree program to be changing majors. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Just out of curiosity, does that Meteorology program in addition to the science emphasize broadcasting?

No not far at all. Third semester in the fall I'll be writing off one to four aviation classes depending on whether I hit the aviation minor in addition to the math minor I need for the meteorology degree. No broadcasting classes for me, some people are probably taking them as electives or grabbing an additional minor in it.