Is Group 3 Aviation a good flight school?

Hello.

I've been researching a couple different flight schools, and Group 3 is one of my top. I've gone twice already to go check out the school and ask questions and it seems great. Does anybody recommend, have info, or have any experiences from this school.

Thanks.

My only experience with Group 3 is that I took the FAA written exam there. They are super nice and I've heard a lot of good things about them. I looked into them when I first started training, but I decided on Twin Air instead because the cost was quite a bit lower and I found a great instructor who I got along with.

When I started I trained out of Van Nuys and one warning I would say about taking lessons there is no fault of the school but just due to the location you will spend a lot of your flying time just getting to the practice area. Twin Air has now moved to Camarillo and in my opinion it is worth the drive because there are heli pads right on the airport for training. When I flew out of VNY it would take 20 minutes of flight time each direction to get to the practice area- that really eats into your budget if you care about that.

The most important thing though is to find an instructor you groove with- having mutual trust with someone who isn't constantly grabbing the controls out of your hands and will let you learn to recover from your mistakes is the most important thing in my opinion. I've never flown with any of the teachers at Group 3 but I've seen them at the practice area and heard them on the radio and seem good from what I can tell at arm's length. Best of luck!

I'm sure you'll find people with both positive and negative experiences...

Heck, it's a flight school, go and fly a few hours with them and make your own decision... it's not like you are stuck there for a semester if you start.

Yep, in my opinion people put WAY too much time and thought into picking a school...

Yep, in my opinion people put WAY too much time and thought into picking a school...

Sorry but I have to say when you are spending $70,000 + there is no such thing as to much research.

Hello.

I've been researching a couple different flight schools, and Group 3 is one of my top. I've gone twice already to go check out the school and ask questions and it seems great. Does anybody recommend, have info, or have any experiences from this school.

Thanks.

Is the R22 a great helicopter? Ask 10 pilots and you will get a lot of different answers. The only input I would have is make sure your instructor is going to stick around awhile. The only complaints I have heard are based on CFI's coming and going and not finishing off their students. I also fly at Twin Air CMA, feel free to give one of us a call and stop by to check it out.

I can say one thing....we have the best airport restaurant in So Cal just a few yards away !

Goldy

Sorry but I have to say when you are spending $70,000 + there is no such thing as to much research.

That is true, but you're not married to the school either.

If there are several schools in your area, fly at several of them, you'll learn something new at each place...