nervous newbie

jeepguy

Hello everybody,

I'm a nervous newbie that is playing with the idea of going to helicopter flight school. I was recently discharged from the US ARMY (Iraq Veteran, Infantry Gunner) and i'm trying to find a career path.

In a nutshell, I've pretty much got a free ride from Private Pilot-CFII for either rotor or fixed wing (courtesy of VA and Govt.) I'm also getting about $700 a month for Disability. I'm married and have 2 daughters both toddlers. I would like for nothing more than to be a helicopter pilot but after reading posts like this

( http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.c...1245&st=20)

it really makes me wonder if this is a wise decision. Is it really that hard to get a job as a pilot? I mean, really, whats a guy normally do after finishing CFII w/ 200hrs and doesn't land that big CFI job right away. How many companies hire people with 200hrs vs how many graduate every month or so. Am I missing something? It seems like slim pickings.

Any advice for the newbie would greatly help.

Or...am i seeing things the wrong way, typical of a newbie. lol :D

JG, I hate to throw water on your dream, but since you are getting disability, you might want to take the medical exam first and see if you qualify. One of the questions asked on the medical exam is if you medically discharged. While it is still possible to get the medical, it MAY require waivers and impose limitations on your medical. Personally I would do that before spending any money on flight training.

Good luck and Thank you.

Jeepster:

No one hires a 200 hour Commercial Instrument pilot, except as a CFI. You may have a rich uncle or aunt that can hire you to fly their aircraft, but that is out of the question for 135 operators because of insurance minimums. You will find that the insurance companies have more to say about who hires whom than does the FAA.

That being said, I think there are opportunities for you out there. It is sort of like buying stocks. When everyone says buy "Big Oil Stocks", it is too late. Buy when everyone has tanked on those stocks and they are at a discount. It takes time to realize the benefits of economic fluctuations.

The same applies in the Aviation job market. It takes time to become qualified, and if the herd follows the herd mentality, there will be fewer ready, willing and able young CFIs out there when the market swings the other way. I am saying that it might be the perfect time to get into the process.

Example: My wife wanted to be a real estate agent. The market was getting weak, and eventually collapsed. Those experienced Realtors that were used to things being easy got out of the business at just the time she was getting into it. The market was wide open for someone who was willing to go the extra mile with effort and professionalism. In this down market, she has been doing quite well.

My Grandfather always said that there are never enough quality people in any position. Granted, he never had to deal with the FAA or insurance company mandated business models, but the principle is true.

Go forth, young man, and follow your dreams. Even if you fail, you will not look back when you are 50 and say, "I really wish I had tried that when I had the chance."

d ;)

I agree with a previous comment made, definetly get a med exam first! I hate to see you waste your money only to find you may not be approved for a medical certificate. I know two guys (both started fixed wing training) who got in flight time and paid for around twenty hours of flight time only to be dissapointed :( later on and were forced to stop.

JG, I hate to throw water on your dream, but since you are getting disability, you might want to take the medical exam first and see if you qualify. One of the questions asked on the medical exam is if you medically discharged. While it is still possible to get the medical, it MAY require waivers and impose limitations on your medical. Personally I would do that before spending any money on flight training.

Good luck and Thank you.

And go for your 2nd class med. That way you know you can keep going in your training after you get your private certificate. You can go all the way through your commercial training and even take the checkride with a third class, but in order to operate as a commercial pilot, you need to have a second class medical. Many people have gone through their private training on a third class just to find out afterwards that they don't meet the requirements for a second class med for their commercial.

The only difference between a 2nd and 3rd class medical is some vision stuff, as far as I can tell.

Can you see 20/20? Do you have "bifovial fixation and vergence-phoria relationship sufficient to prevent a break in fusion under conditions that may reasonably expected to occur in performing airman duties?" No? Good. You can have a second class medical.

I see great, the disability is for a old dirtbike wreck i had when i first got back from deployment. I didn't get out the army for a disibility, ETS'd when my time came. Honestly the disibility is kinda a joke if you ask me, but, hey, i'll take it if thier giving it. lol

lol..thats funny. I had a bad dirtbike spill after both of my deployments...the latter one resulting in a medevac from the track. When do you plan on coming out here to Leading Edge?