Networking/Heliexpo

r22butters

With the Heliexpo coming up I’ve been thinking about a problem I experienced at the Career seminar/Job fair. In such a crowded industry, how do you “network” successfully?

When there are about thirty guys standing around a booth, all trying to have the same conversation with the Rep., how does any one of us stand out and become memorable?

At times I felt like I was standing in line, waiting for the Rep. to “call my number”, while the guy in front of me was asking the same questions I was going to ask. And there were a hundred other guys standing behind me!

The worst part was, while I was talking to this Rep., I couldn’t help but think that he was probably thinking to himself, “ya, you’re a nice kid,…call me when you have more hours”. I have met a lot of people in this industry, and had a lot of great conversations, but it always seems to come down to, “you just don’t have enough hours”.

So, should a “low-time” pilot, such as myself, even bother to go to a Heliexpo? :huh:

I've gone twice, with several other low time pilots, the networking opportunities are pretty much non-existent. Some people won't even give you the time of day, if you are young and look to be low time.

Others are very nice, especially the mechanics, but really there is nothing they could do to help you out, if you are well below the hour requirements.

It seems the best way to build connections is to work for people in a non-flight job, demonstrate your work ethic, learn about the operation, and once you have the hours, give them a call.

Networking is a term that people are just not grasping.

It is a matter of introducing yourself to many people and finding the few that have your interests and are in your territory so you can continue to build upon that first encounter.

A good example is our Minnesota group it started out with a couple of people who meet here and then in person and we're now in our 3rd year of expanding our offer to get together for a meet and greet and develope relationships that can/will at some point in time find work for someone or provide someone with more work that they otherwise would not have had.

Just like the pebble in the pond the rippples expand out, BUT it takes time. it is not an overnight quick fix solution.

I believe Heli-Expo is still a great opportunity to talk to many of the helicopter operators and pilots within the industry itself, and to gather so much invaluable information from one event. You shouldn't be attending if all you are interested in doing is to submit your resume. It is like you said ; You would just be another guy.

We've established that you are a low time pilot ; How many hours to be exact? And are you looking into big time companies right now, or have you been looking into smaller companies as well? Every operator is different. Try looking into maybe picking up a job as a second in command. Not every SiC position is a low time guy, but many operators will hire a low time guy and throw him in a SiC position, even if it is for a seasonal job. It gives the operator a chance to see this low time pilot interact, react, communicate, and fly the aircraft before throwing him in a ship by himself. Who knows, if you do a damn good job flying a season as a SiC, you might get hired on next season as another SiC, or possibly PC. It just depends on what the operator is looking for.

It would be more beneficial for you, if you were serious about submitting a resume, is to make a trip out to the company you are looking into, and submit your resume to the chief pilot, and not just some representative. Have a sit down with him, take a tour of the facility, get to know some of the staff, and ask questions. Be interested, and more importantly be serious about it, especially if it is a company you really want a job with. And if you are able to, continue making trips out to the company, unless you are quite a distance away which wouldn't allow you to.

Ask questions every where you go. Talk to people. Get your name in the door ahead of the other guy, and let yourself be known. Good luck with your ventures!

Networking is a term that people are just not grasping.

It is a matter of introducing yourself to many people and finding the few that have your interests and are in your territory so you can continue to build upon that first encounter.

This is what I was referring to when I spoke of networking, and no one I know had any luck. Heli-expo is just a little weird as a newer pilot, it's hard for me to explain.

We weren't expecting a job, but just meeting people who we might be able to contact and ask for advice was a challenge. Not that the industry should bend over backwards or anything, we weren't looking for a free lunch, but we just felt like outsiders in a way.

Maybe we were doing it wrong?

Edited by Shaun

I was just thinking about this today. I went to HeliExpo last year, and there are a few things that are worth if for the low-time pilot (

My experience walking the floor was pretty much the same as Butters' (check back when you have XXXX hours). Most everybody was pretty nice though and willing to talk a few minutes with me. I usually tried turning it around so I was asking first about what their requirements were and what I could do to position myself for a job down the road. I also showed them a resume, and if it was appropriate, I asked them if some of my other job experience mattered to them. Then I asked about SIC positions. The mythology is that you can talk to the right people at HAI and end up ferrying a Dauphin home. Nothing worked out for me though.

Flight schools were a different story. Some were somewhat helpful or at least respectful, even though they had all the CFIs they needed. Others dispatched me within a few seconds of finding out I was a CFI. The job fair was useless for me...even last year, the lines were so long and my qualifications so below the minimums that I couldn't justify standing in line.

I figured it was me, or something I was/wasn't doing, so I was going to ask the same question: what connections can a low time pilot make, and how do you go about doing that.

Not to change the subject, but do any border patroll people go there?

Not sure if they'll be there, but if this is an avenue you're interested in pursuing, you'll need to be a sworn officer. At the mentoring workshops, there's usually an LE pilot to talk to.

Not sure if they'll be there, but if this is an avenue you're interested in pursuing, you'll need to be a sworn officer. At the mentoring workshops, there's usually an LE pilot to talk to.

would make sence, its harder to talk to the BP pilots than it is to breach fort knox, atleast in Bellingham (imo)

would make sence, its harder to talk to the BP pilots than it is to breach fort knox, atleast in Bellingham (imo)

The CBP pilots up in Bellingham are very nice, but there's really nothing they can do to help you get a job.

The govt doesn't work like private industry. There's no help getting hired by networking, schmoozing, or having a 2nd cousin on the inside. Just go to the CBP website and review the job requirements, training, salary, benefits, etc. Then, if it looks good to you, visit USAJOBS.COM and apply for the AIA vacancies when they are open.

If you'd like to speak with some LE pilots, you don't need to spend money and travel to another state to attend HeliExpo. Just come to the "American Heroes" show at Boeing Field this June (free admission). CBP is there every year, along with other federal and local LE agencies, DNR, Coast Guard, Navy, Army, Lifeflight, and more. All with their flying machines on display.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "Border Patrol pilot" anymore. They are all CBP now.

Well we've established that I'm not computer savey. :blink: Thanks for moving this. I wasn't sure what kind of responses I'd get. Most posts I've read in the past have been really "gungho" about the Expo, I almost thought I was the only one struggling with the whole "networking" thing.

To answer RagMans' questions. I have 600hrs, and I've sent resumes all over the planet, mostly to small operations who's minimums I actually meet. I've also sent quite a few to larger companies in an attempt to get in as part-time, back-up, or even as an unpaid intern. These are generally companies, like Tours and ENG, who have posted several ads in a short period of time, making me think they may be having trouble finding someone.

Like many of you, I've also looked into the, ever elusive, SIC position. I've heard of many you can get with just 500hrs, and even one where you didn't need an IR (at least not initially), but alas, none of the companies I was given had SIC programs. The last one I saw wanted 1500hrs.

As for the "walk-in". I've only tried it once, while in Vegas. They of course were very nice, and more than willing to show me around, but when it comes to those "dreaded hours", there's just no way around. :(

I have 600hrs, and I've sent resumes all over the planet, mostly to small operations who's minimums I actually meet.

Butters- I still say its not your hours that hold you back it's who you know. Resumes rarely get a lot of attention. Heli Expo is a great opportunity to rub shoulders with some of the best. You have to be a bit social and outgoing, if thats not you, force yourself for two days to try!

Couple years ago I was just talking to some guy at one of the booths walking around. Turns out he is the CP for a major EMS firm. I see him every year now and always say hi. When I look back at the opportunities I have had, they are all people related, not hour related.

Hope to see you there,

Goldy

Look, networking is not walking up to some rep in a crowded booth and handing him a resume and asking the typical questions. Networking is striking up conversation with someone, figuring out interests beyond what you want from that person and talking about it, preferably over an alcoholic beverage.

I've got a whopping 210 hours, but I know some pretty influential folks in various areas of the industry. I made those friendships by just hanging out and talking about whatever. The most I've gotten so far is the hint of a job interview "sometime in the next few months" and two free hours of flight time. But I've been able to pass on a few opportunities with folks who possess the right qualifications in hopes they'd reciprocate in the future.

Just go walk around and talk to folks. Forget the resume, and don't have that scent of desperation about you. You never know who you might end up hanging out with.

I think you bring up a great issue. As the producer of the Heli Success Seminar and Networking Event, I realize that the experience and "reality" of the expectation will be different for each person. The experience and expectation for each person, will (and rightfully so) depend on your flight experience and work background within the industry.

A pilot with 300 - 1500 hours should probably have a low expectation that the net result of attending an event will be to land a job. It is true that in a down economy like we had in the last two years, about half the operators who attend these things will not be hiring right at that moment. That means that the other half can be selective about who they will hire.

The last two years, tours and GOM (typical hirers of lower timers) were crushed by the economy and EMS was still growing. This meant that the 1500 - 2500 hour pilots who were interested in EMS and attended the event could have a reasonable expectation of landing a job interview.

Here are some bullet point reminders of what events like our seminar (Heli Success) and Heli Expo are about:

1. Remember, network efforts are cumulative and you have to start somewhere. There are only a few places/times per year that you can have such access at one time.

2. Education is the key. Where else can you go and hear it from the hiring authority what they like to see in a candidate's qualifications and personal characteristics. If you learn this information at an early point in your development, this can help you develop a road map to meeting those quals.

3. Peer networking - these are the relationships you establish with your peers. Very important over the span of your career. "Who you know" always factors into everything in small industries, especially ours.

4. Hiring authority networking - This is important to understand. You are correct, there may not be much value (on that day) in standing in line with 20 other people to speak with the CP of Papillon at a single event and hope that he takes notice of you. Even harder when you know that they are not hiring right at that moment, perhaps the CP is only thinking about his "honey-do" list back home and see's the meet and greet as a formality.

If that is the way you look at the hiring authority, then you would be wrong. Hiring authority networking is about TWO things....1) face/name recognition and, 2) persistence. Your goal (within reason) should be to have your face/name/resume seen by that hiring authority as many times as possible from as many angles as possible. If all you do is walk up, give your pitch, and hand over your resume, then yes.......you are just another number in the crowd as you stated.

TEST - Tell me who gets more attention and consideration:

1. The person who attends a single job fair or networking event and stands in line and drops a resume after a 60 second conversation?.....or.....

2. The person who does the job fair thing at Heli Success, then Heli Expo, followed up by a thank you email/phone call, a scheduled visit to the company's operation, and finally all backed up with recommendations by two people within the company that you met while "peer" networking?

Remember, networking is multi faceted and cumulative and you have to start somewhere. One thing is for sure.........you will NOT meet anyone if you stay home and do not attend these events.

Ps. as a side note, I recognize that all these things cost money and are expensive. The cold hard reality is that the helicopter industry is a pay to play, who you know, right place - right time industry.

And that is all I have to say about that. Best of luck! :D