Can a civie log military sim time?

I ask because I MAY (MAY) get an hour in a blackhawk sim thanks to a good friend of mine who is in the position to be so gracious. I mean, I realize I can put whatever the heck I want in my logbook for kicks, but would it count towards my PIC time, etc? I don't think the 'Hawk has a civilian type certificate. Does that make a difference? Is this a stupid question?

Thanks for indulging me.

Shouldn't be a problem, we used to have the opportunity to do instrument currency in a UH-1 sim. Unfortunately the sim went away when they switched to H-60s.

And yes, you can put whatever you like in your log book. I think I have space shuttle time in mine. Ok, not really, I just wanted to see if anyone reads this.

1 hour shouldn't be a real deal breaker anywhere, imo. I wouldn't log PIC time, though.

Don't let yourself get bogged down by all of the buttons. :lol:

One of our pilots always said: "You know you are flying a real helicopter when there are buttons and switches in the overhead". :D

One of our pilots always said: "You know you are flying a real helicopter when there are buttons and switches in the overhead". :D

So I guess the R-44 Raven II with it's air conditioning switch is a REAL helicopter? :D

You would be logging SiC time (or if you were military you would log PI time.) You wouldn't log PC time as you are not rated or checked out in the H-60 airframe. And yes, there is a civilian model H-60. As far as what to log it as in your logout, I would presume simulator time?

ADR-

Spend as much time in the 60 sim as you can, however, check if the sim is FAA certified (I think not)...if not, you might run risk of problems in the future if the friendly FSDO/ASI wants a peek into the logbook, and you log time in a non certified sim/trainer. Might be OK if you are keeping current for public service entity, or, using mil currency, but not as pure civie. Watch out & research first.

EC120...I miss the H1 sims at LosAl too. Woulda been nice to have some visuals, but hey, they were classics for their age.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I wouldn't see any problem with logging it - how you log the flight time depends on the simulator. If it is a full motion/Level D sim, you should be able to log whatever type of time you fly, ie night, turbine, twin, simulated instrument (I don't log actual instrument, even in a level D sim). Whether you log PIC time should depend on whether you have a type rating in it (the blackhawk is more than 12,500 lbs so you need one to log PIC).

One of the previous posters mentioned finding a number for the simulator, usually this is entered into your logbook in the N number column as "FAA" followed by the four digit number. In this case the blackhawk's civilian counterpart is the Sikorsky S-70.

Now, if this is a flight training device with no motion, all bets are off and you should probably only log simulator/flight training device time.

Whether you log PIC time should depend on whether you have a type rating in it (the blackhawk is more than 12,500 lbs so you need one to log PIC).

D'oh! Yeah, I should have caught that when I first asked the question. Point taken, thanks.

Unless the sim has been certified by the FAA, that time doesn't exist as far as the FAA is concerned and our friends at the FSDOs aren't going to care if you have pages of military sim time in your logbook unless you try to put it in one of the columns on an 8710 or use it to keep current.

Edited by spw1177

I wouldn't see any problem with logging it - how you log the flight time depends on the simulator. If it is a full motion/Level D sim, you should be able to log whatever type of time you fly, ie night, turbine, twin, simulated instrument (I don't log actual instrument, even in a level D sim). Whether you log PIC time should depend on whether you have a type rating in it (the blackhawk is more than 12,500 lbs so you need one to log PIC).

One of the previous posters mentioned finding a number for the simulator, usually this is entered into your logbook in the N number column as "FAA" followed by the four digit number. In this case the blackhawk's civilian counterpart is the Sikorsky S-70.

Now, if this is a flight training device with no motion, all bets are off and you should probably only log simulator/flight training device time.

Didn't they remove the type rating for the S-70? I seem to remember this happening a few years ago.

Unless the sim has been certified by the FAA, that time doesn't exist as far as the FAA is concerned and our friends at the FSDOs aren't going to care if you have pages of military sim time in your logbook unless you try to put it in one of the columns on an 8710 or use it to keep current.

Yeah. I think I may just write it in without any time in the columns, just to remember it by. Guy who is taking me is a really good friend. Actually he's the guy who got me started in this whole crazy helicopter thing in the first place. Probably be the last time I get to see him before he heads to the land of sand and mountains for a year.

Well, I got 2.0 hours in a UH-60A sim today. I've gotta say, you military guys have it made. The UH-60 seems like an amazing ship, especially in IFR settings. Did an ILS approach... the first one I've done in 8 months. It was like riding a bike, thanks in part to the SAS.

I was really impressed with how capable the Blackhawk platform is, but then again my experience is limited to piston engine birds. I guess it's like comparing a go-kart to a Ferrari, but still. I'm jealous.

Well, I got 2.0 hours in a UH-60A sim today. I've gotta say, you military guys have it made. The UH-60 seems like an amazing ship, especially in IFR settings. Did an ILS approach... the first one I've done in 8 months. It was like riding a bike, thanks in part to the SAS.

I was really impressed with how capable the Blackhawk platform is, but then again my experience is limited to piston engine birds. I guess it's like comparing a go-kart to a Ferrari, but still. I'm jealous.

Did you do the ILS with "processed data" (CIS on)? It's like cheating if you use that.

Haha, yeah. Guilty as charged. It was still pretty neat and an entirely different world than shooting an ILS in an R-44.

Haha, yeah. Guilty as charged. It was still pretty neat and an entirely different world than shooting an ILS in an R-44.

lol. Don't get me wrong, I use it whenever I can. About the only thing I don't use is altitude "hold". (For anyone unfamiliar, it gives you an indication of where to put the collective to keep you +/- 50 feet of the altitude you engaged it at. Assuming you engaged it with a ROD of less than +/-...100? Basically, that part of the system is not as good as the rest).