First solo

You should not know when your first solo is. It should not be scheduled and you should not have time to worry about it. When you are ready, your CFI should send you up after flying with you. Enjoy it and continue forward. Mike

You should not know when your first solo is. It should not be scheduled and you should not have time to worry about it. When you are ready, your CFI should send you up after flying with you. Enjoy it and continue forward. Mike

My thoughts exactly. I will let my students know when they are close but do not give an actual day. Something like " you should ready to solo sometime next week". Then if they are ready on Monday or say Friday I will fly with them thru all the normal pattern, radio, and maneuver stuff then have them land. I get out and they go fly their solo flight. Oh as the students gets closer to their solo flight I start carrying a hand held radio and it could be days before their solo so they do not know when it is. They do not have time to get nervous or be worried. It worked well for my students.

Steve

To the OP:

What everybody else said. It's pretty different, but just remember what you were taught, two stage pickup etc..., and order the keg soon for the after party.

With regards to the surprise solo theory, I really do not go about things in that manner. The student should know when the solo is getting close, especially in a Robinson where there is the 20 hour dual mark they have to hit first. I get the student prepared and briefed for the solo, get all of the endorsements completed, make sure Mother Nature is cooperating, make sure they have their required documentation for solo flight, do a few laps in the pattern, and then solo them. I am a huge fan of the preflight briefing.

I knew beforehand when my first solo was, and it was no big deal. :huh:

If it happens to be warm enough that you have the doors off (like we did) just make sure your instructor doesn't leave anything behind that could come loose and fly out. :unsure:

Bring a camera, so he can take a picture of you, I didn't think of it until my first unsupervised solo. :(

Take some Orajel with you, your cheeks will start hurting from the perma-smile. :D

I'd just take into account that the left side of the helicopter will now be a lot lighter without your instructor. On the initial pick up the left skids should come off the ground more than you are used to. Seriously though just relax, you already know what you're doing, you will just be doing it alone now. Have fun!

had my 1st solo tuesday total suprise but like others said ,instructor said i was getting close so I knew it would be any day.was really relaxed did not feel any pressure for sure it takes off skid light on rght side with out inst. there .kinda treeted it like a slope landing slope take off have fun dude you worked for it

Ditto that the skids will be light on one side...depending on the ship you are flying. Also you may notice the nose comes up quite a bit, just depending on your W&B. Best advice I read is treat it like a slope landing/ take off...nice and slow and keep it level.

Other than that, you've done everything else before, so don't sweat it. I remember my solo the tower asked me to extend my first downwind for traffic...about 3 added miles, I thought I was in the air forever!

Relax....dont grip anything hard, especially the throttle in an R22/44.

Fly safe,

Goldy

My first solo is this Friday. I am real excited and nervous of course.

Any wise words of wisedom? Other than don't crash. Lol

Follow your SOP and do what you have been trained to do. Above all......have fun and smile! :)

***update*** just had my first solo today. It was awesome...don't know what else to say. Just somewhat speachless.

OK, I'll let you in on the great helicopter secret.

It gets more fun

It gets more addictive

As your skills expand you actually become a better pilot

An old helo pilot told me once....just wait till you get about 200 hours,then it really gets fun. I found out he was right.

Lastly, if you want to keep having fun...and keep living, then never stop learning and never stop practicing.

Fly safe,

Goldy