Paying for Flight School

Hello Everyone!

So I'm looking for any information anyone can pass on. I started my flight school a couple years ago, and unfortunately ended up getting screwed! I was one of many students that paid for lessons and then the school shut down and took the money!! Hard lesson learned....but lesson learned.

I am wanting to finish my flight school more then anything. I have read on many posts all the pessimistic individuals out there! I can gaurantee you I am not one of them! I have not wanted to do anything else but fly Helicopters. I can hear them a mile away and stop in my tracks to look at them. I don't care about making a ton of money. Been there done that, and now rebuilding because of the great economic stock market. So doesn't matter if you have money or not. It's about doing what you love and learning to live within your means. If I happen to be one of the lucky ones that makes good money flying, well, that is just a bonus. I care about doing something that I have always dreamed of doing and love. There is such a calmness when flying.

Soooo, here is the situation. Due to the fact I already have one loan on my credit from the previous school (currently is all in the court systems to be removed but is taking forever)I can't seem to find anyone willing to help me pay for flight school. I know many of you have stated don't go the loan route, however, that seems to be the only way I can accomplish this. Unless anyone has any other suggestions out there? I am okay with having monthly payments as much if not more then a mortgage. I would rather be paying on a loan that gives me the job I love rather then a mortgage on a home. I know sounds crazy, but that is how I feel.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can accomplish the great dream, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!! :)

Your choice is to take the wisdom of possibly hundreds of pilots to pay as you go for flight training (no loans/debt) or you can choose to not learn from previous mistakes by being willing to bet it all to become a helicopter pilot. Ask how many pilots took on debt north of 50K and never got hired, but still have to pay on the debt. Don't you see that we are in a depression right now? The best decision you can make is to pay off existing debts and build capital, not going further in the hole. Hopefully things will change in the future for better prospects as a helicopter pilot, and if they do you'll have the cash to take advantage of the opportunity. Good Luck!

If you can make good money again at whatever you did before and pay as you go then that would be the best option.

Otherwise, sell the house, the wife, the kids, the car and the dog and buy a tent to sleep at the airport. Use the money you receive from the sales to fund the training.

Realistically, if you want to get into more debt to fund your dream then I say do it if you can. Yeah everyone says not to but if you don't care about doing then why should anyone else. I personally don't care if you get a loan to do you flight training....otherwise pay as you go this time.

Otherwise, sell the house, the wife, the kids, the car and the dog and buy a tent to sleep at the airport. Use the money you receive from the sales to fund the training.

Its funny, I guess neither of us realized this was a girl? :o The jokes don't work as well with girls...oops?

Hello Everyone!

So I'm looking for any information anyone can pass on. I started my flight school a couple years ago, and unfortunately ended up getting screwed! I was one of many students that paid for lessons and then the school shut down and took the money!! Hard lesson learned....but lesson learned.

I am wanting to finish my flight school more then anything. I have read on many posts all the pessimistic individuals out there! I can gaurantee you I am not one of them! I have not wanted to do anything else but fly Helicopters. I can hear them a mile away and stop in my tracks to look at them. I don't care about making a ton of money. Been there done that, and now rebuilding because of the great economic stock market. So doesn't matter if you have money or not. It's about doing what you love and learning to live within your means. If I happen to be one of the lucky ones that makes good money flying, well, that is just a bonus. I care about doing something that I have always dreamed of doing and love. There is such a calmness when flying.

Soooo, here is the situation. Due to the fact I already have one loan on my credit from the previous school (currently is all in the court systems to be removed but is taking forever)I can't seem to find anyone willing to help me pay for flight school. I know many of you have stated don't go the loan route, however, that seems to be the only way I can accomplish this. Unless anyone has any other suggestions out there? I am okay with having monthly payments as much if not more then a mortgage. I would rather be paying on a loan that gives me the job I love rather then a mortgage on a home. I know sounds crazy, but that is how I feel.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can accomplish the great dream, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!! :)

People crack me up when they say " Work a job and save up the money " How many jobs can you think of that pay enough money for the average pilot wannabe to pay for everyday life AND save up $100,000 ??? It's silly for people to say such a thing. Most of the time the people that say that statement are pilots already getting a paycheck to do what they love.

If you can get the loan and make the payment, then do it. Go to a school that you'll have a chance of getting hired when done. Good luck.

Its funny, I guess neither of us realized this was a girl? The jokes don't work as well with girls...oops?

My bad...sell the husband or the boyfriend then!! :P

Are you a member of the whirly girls? They have some great scholarships. The application deadline is october 1st. You do have to be a member for one year before you can apply.Check out their webpage www.whirlygirls.org

Are you a member of the whirly girls? They have some great scholarships. The application deadline is october 1st. You do have to be a member for one year before you can apply.Check out their webpage www.whirlygirls.org

If anything, being a woman interested in being a pilot is a huge advantage. There are 3 or 4 pilot clubs out there for you that I can't be a part of! Since there are fewer women pilots there is more hope for you with grants. A friend of mine just got a scholarship to complete her commercial rotary training, about 10K. I think that was from the 99's....another all woman pilot group.

There are also a million things you can do to help you prepare that are free. I could list them all but it would take up 3 pages. Look up the free FAA safety program and the conferences all over the US, ground schools taught at community colleges, and the list goes on.

Good luck,

Goldy