Voc Rehab Questionnaire

Well after a long 6 months of waiting around I have finally been approved for Voc Rehab benefits through the VA. The counselor wants me to interview another pilot in the industry so I figured this is about as good of a place as any. So if anyone is bored maybe they could answer these questions for me. I know this is a waste of time but I have to play the game. So here it is,

Name:

Company:

1. How did you get started in this field?

2. What are your duties in a typical day?

3. What are the educational or training requirements?

4. What are the challenges you face in your job?

5. What skills and abilities are needed to do this type of work?

6. What is the salary range for entry-level positions?

7. Do you see a demand for this occupation or any future changes taking place in this field? Please explain.

8. Do you have any suggestions, recommendations or advice to offer me concerning this occupation?

As you can see, most of this is self explanatory but if anyone is bored it would be greatly appreciated. Really all I need is a name and company and I can fill in the rest but if anyone actually wants to answer that would be awesome.

Thanks

Awesome! Congrats on getting cleared through the VA. That can be a painful process. Though I will say my application process for the 9/11 G.I Bill benefits went through rather quickly, about a month I would say. Where are you looking at going to school for your training?

Awesome! Congrats on getting cleared through the VA. That can be a painful process. Though I will say my application process for the 9/11 G.I Bill benefits went through rather quickly, about a month I would say. Where are you looking at going to school for your training?

Not sure yet. I want to do some high altitude training but it all depends on where they let me.

222, how about you answer #1 thru #8 for us and we comment on your answers! I am not sure if you want to get a Commercial Rotorcraft, Helicopter Certificate and work as a pilot or just get some flight training.

I ask respectfully if you have taken and passed a FAA 2nd Class physical?

High altitude training is a small part of getting certificates at various levels but something worthwhile considering/doing.

Many of us would be willing to give sound advice or add to your answers to the questions listed but need more info on where you want to go in aviation.

Best wishes, Mike

222, how about you answer #1 thru #8 for us and we comment on your answers! I am not sure if you want to get a Commercial Rotorcraft, Helicopter Certificate and work as a pilot or just get some flight training.

I ask respectfully if you have taken and passed a FAA 2nd Class physical?

High altitude training is a small part of getting certificates at various levels but something worthwhile considering/doing.

Many of us would be willing to give sound advice or add to your answers to the questions listed but need more info on where you want to go in aviation.

Best wishes, Mike

Yes I am planning on doing a career pilot course, I want to get every cert possible and do this for a living.

I just have a 3rd class, but I just talked to the doc today about upgrading to a 2nd so it will just be a matter of time.

And the questions that I asked were part of the program that I'm in. They want me to interview another pilot.

1. How did you get started in this field?

2. What are your duties in a typical day?

3. What are the educational or training requirements?

4. What are the challenges you face in your job?

5. What skills and abilities are needed to do this type of work?

6. What is the salary range for entry-level positions?

7. Do you see a demand for this occupation or any future changes taking place in this field? Please explain.

8. Do you have any suggestions, recommendations or advice to offer me concerning this occupation?

1. I was on a mountain rescue team in Ireland and always had an interest in heli's, working with them a lot on rescues. I did my private in Ireland then moved to Florida to do a JAA CPL and up to my FAA CFII.

2. I fly ag. Just started but typically it is an early morning preflight followed by long days in the cranberry bogs doing anything from lifting to spraying.

3. Not much. Money is the main issue. I do not have a degree but it hasnt affected my career to date. I dont think it will either. Your ability, professionalism and attitude are the main factors in my opinion.

4. My job involves a lot of low level flying at gross weight. You have to stay sharp. Wires are always a hazard. You have to make sure you spray or fertilize the right areas with the right material. Heavy loads, fuel, watching out for ground crew are to name but a few.

5. Situational awareness, knowledge, communicating with personnel, commitment, long hours can be tough, total comfort with the aircraft

6. One of the best paying jobs in the helicopter world is ag flying. Entry level can be 60k+

7. There does seem to be a lack of trained ag pilots. There will always be a need for them. It is a difficult side of the industry to get into but is very rewarding when you are there.

8. I started off instructing at the school I trained at. This experience was invaluable to me and was where I really learned to fly. I would recommend this as path into aviation to anybody who is serious about their career. You learn a lot about your own abilities and limitations. With regards to the ag world, you have to really want it. It can be very demanding and the work days can be very long. It can be very financially rewarding and will test your piloting skills to the max.

• 1 year later...

Not sure yet. Somebody recommended Colorado Heli-ops but they aren't a 141 school. I'm thinking either Front Range or Rotors of the Rockies. I'm definitely open to suggestions but it has to be a 141 school.

Thanks

Hey... I see this is an old post but mind if I ask... Who did you end up going with?

• 1 year later...