Callback Question?

So I recently interviewed at a flight school, gave some ground and flew with the owner. After all was said and done he said he was very pleased and wanted to call my references. He said he would call me in 5 days. I made contact with my references and they said that he had contacted them and that he said good things about me and they reinforced his good perception.

That was over 2 months ago. I called the school several times (the owner was never there) and even after leaving messages never got a call back. I have since given up but I am still a little bitter that I never got a call back. Even if the call was to tell me they didn't need me or that I wasn't a good fit for the school I just would have liked the courtesy.

I did find out later the school had a helicopter go down so I can understand that they where busy and had a lot on there plate. I don't believe this excuses them from common courtesy.

Any owners or CPs out there I would appreciate you insight. Do I have the right to be mad or should I just get over it.

Edited by mattkreps
  • Like 1

I've enjoyed this situation before. However, perhaps companies that do not even take two minutes to tell you no, are people you do not want to work for. (not speaking about that school specifically, I don't know all the facts there)

Likewise when choosing a flight school, the method and manner of a school's communication spoke volumes to me about what I could expect there.

It seems like the best companies are those that are thoughtful regardless of whether they need something from you or not. But that's pretty idealistic.

• Like 2

I would forget about it and try and pick yourself back up. They have their issues (heli down etc.) you have yours (career, paying bills etc) - look after your own interests and forget about the negative stuff - it'll only bring you down!

• Like 1

Wow Matt, that’s a hard one.

You will all probably laugh when I say this (after my recent transgression) ☺, but getting mad will not help. I cannot imagine what it’s like to have a ship go down, it must be overwhelming and would no doubt change future plans for any flight school.. especially a smaller one. The fact that he flew with you and called your references says good things about you.. I expect that you had a job coming and fate got in the way. If you want closure, and can visit the school.. do so. Just go by and tell him that you understand, it will go a long way either way… and you will feel much better I am sure. I had a resume for a great candidate for our maintenance program on my desk for two weeks.. I picked it up every day and even started dialing the gents phone number once, only to be interrupted with an issue. Things happen, even on a good day, and sometimes we are just covered up. I finally got thru to him and hope he sincerely understood my dilemma.

Now, it is good business practices to not follow up or return calls?? No, but we just don’t know what the guy is dealing with, and it sounds like it could be a lot. Maybe he just isn’t getting your messages. It could be a number of things. I went thru my deleted emails the other day, I had over 3500 for this year alone, I saw so many projects that I wanted to look into but just never got the time… Quite possibly this guy has good intentions, and liked you for the job, but just can’t get to it right now.

On the subject of crashes:

We are sponsoring another safety course in the next couple of months with the main issue being emergency response plans. At the Regional Operators Safety Meeting a couple of months ago we talked about how crashes affect us all. There was a 300 crash here in Denver the week before the meeting and the stigma was surprisingly far reaching… We are hoping to get all of the area operators on the same page when/if an incident occurs in the future. The speaker will be a retired NTSB investigator with 22 years of experience that now writes ERPs for large companies like Frontier Airlines and many others. The short-term goal is to have all of the operators in our area discuss options for their own ERP and eventually morph those into one for the entire region. An ERP is an important part of any operation and you’d be surprised how many don’t have them.

Keep your chin up Matt, and keep pushing forward, it sounds to me like you were almost there so I know you can do it again.

Aloha,

dp

• Like 2

Thnx all. RkyMtnHI this post was aimed at you since you actually run a school and always have good insight. I have moved on since then I just haven't been able to even get my foot in the door anywhere else and its frustrating. The crash was the only reason I wasn't on here bad mouthing the owner and school (who shall remain nameless). I can't imagine dealing with a crash so I put it behind me. You never know he might call me tomorrow and apologize for delay because i still need the job lol.

• Like 1

The question of networking comes up often, and in this case, a follow-up with this flight school would be a good example of maintaining your network. Since you know that you were at least on the very short list of candidates, and were maybe going to get a job offer, take this as an opportunity to draw this CP into your network with a follow-up contact. Since he hasn't responded to calls (as DP says, everybody gets busy and things fall thru the cracks), I'd send a short letter. (BTW, this is something everybody should do following an interview.)

Your goal by making the contact is not to pursue an immediate job. I can't tell you what to say, but some things that would be appropriate would be asking him for feedback or what you can do to further develop your skills so that you stand out from other CFIs. Don't ask too much, but try and open a positive dialog.

Don't expect a response. Your long-term goal is to stick yourself in his head so it's easier for him to just call you when he needs another CFI rather than to go thru the resume/interview process all over again. Put a business card, or maybe your resume, in with your letter.

If you get a response, cool. Nurse the relationship so that you can contact him off and on. This is networking, and you have an opportunity here.

• Like 1

My strategy as it stands is to send him an email just to say that I heard he had a bird go down, I hope everything is ok and that I'm still available if he ever needs anything. This way i figure I can start an email conversation with him so when something does open or if he hears of anything he will think of me

• Like 1

I shoulda clarified that I meant a snail-mail letter. I can get 100+ emails/day, and it can be pretty difficult to find an email from a week ago. It's possible this guy is just as overwhelmed. Snail mail letters tho, I get

• Like 1

You had an interview! Do not use email (follow kodoz) and don't mention the crash. Remain professional, polite, and patient even facing the possible opposite, and that will be your reputation in your network now, and in the business when you get there. 2cents

• Like 1

Is the school in the North East by any chance? If so they had an advertisement for a CFII about 5 days ago??

• Like 1

First off, try not to be sensitive about the rejection aspect as it’s a part of the business. I know it’s a bummer especially when you were so close but its better you weren’t hired, and then faced the possibly of being let go after the accident.

As already suggested, a letter or personal visit is in order. I believe the letter should contain knowledge of the accident. To leave it out would appear you are out of touch with the company. Furthermore, the letter should be geared around your attempt to help with the situation rather than just seeking a job. A visit should be casual and non-investigative. Again, be aware of the situation and offer assistance in any form. Be sincerely sympathetic but helpful at the same time. If it’s a no-go, then respectfully move on.

In any case, please come back and let us know what happened as inquiring minds want to know……

• Like 1

That was over 2 months ago. I called the school several times (the owner was never there) and even after leaving messages never got a call back. I have since given up but I am still a little bitter that I never got a call back.

Matt, get over it and move on. I get applications at my work every day. I have tons of things to accomplish and calling every prospective applicant back isnt on the list.

Today's world is just too hectic a pace, especially during a downturn. I am expected to do more each day, and I have about 10 fewer employees working for me to make it happen. Throw in an accident and well, you just may not be needed anymore.

We all wish we had more time, and that we could be more personable with each person that we meet. It's just the reality in business anymore.

But Fly safe and good luck to you,

Goldy