What school would you go to

So once s. 3447 passes all helicopter schools (non-degree) will be covered under the new gi bill which means I would have the choice of any school to choose from and since I will be getting bah the cost of living should be close to the same wherever I go. So if you had the choice to go to any helicopter school for your cfii, where would you go and why?

Edited by ridethewind

Well I really like Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, OR. But if given the opportunity to train at a school not associated with a college then Mauna Loa Helicopters would be at the top of my list. Have heard many good things about the school, plus the location and getting BAH down there would be hard to beat. Otherwise I've visited Tomlinson Aviation in Ormond Beach, FL a couple times and really liked them. But that'll be awesome when the change is made to allow that, and I thought I had a lot of choices before.

Does the new bill state you will get BAH regardless if you are not pursuing a degree program with a college? Might want to really check into that. I could see that as something that only pertains to pursuing a college degree, and not just going after flight training itself.

Does the new bill state you will get BAH regardless if you are not pursuing a degree program with a college? Might want to really check into that. I could see that as something that only pertains to pursuing a college degree, and not just going after flight training itself.

Yes bah is included, it pretty much sounds like it takes everything the ch. 30 gi bill covers and gives you the benefits of the ch. 33 gi bill gi bill, its scheduled to be voted on by the senate by september 2010

Here is s quick list of proposed upgrades to the Post-9/11 GI Bill:

– Expand the program to cover Vocational and OJT Programs

– Give Guard and Reserve Full Credit for Full Time Served

– Provide Living Stipend to Veterans Utilizing Distance Learning

– Simplify the Yellow Ribbon Program

– Grant active duty students a book stipend worth $1,000/year

– Increase Vocational Rehabilitation monthly benefits by up to $780/month

– Reimburse students who take multiple accreditation/certification tests

– Allow enlistment kickers to be transferred to dependents

– Increase VA reporting fees paid to schools

– Simplify the types of discharges that qualify for benefits

Read more: http://military-education.military.com/2010/07/gi-bill-fixes-still-on-track/?ESRC=education.nl#ixzz0vaUHKpw9

p.s. vets but with the online schools covered you may be able to pull in more bah. If bah is giving for online schools most likely the bah will be from the schools zip code and if it is paid to the zip code you live in see if a relative or a friend that lives in a high paying zip code will let you use their address to have your checks sent to. So if you enroll in a program where the school is out of San Francisco and you go to helo school in prescott, az you might be able to take the higher bah some how, just a though that might be useful for the future.

Edited by ridethewind

So once s. 3447 passes all helicopter schools (non-degree) will be covered under the new gi bill which means I would have the choice of any school to choose from and since I will be getting bah the cost of living should be close to the same wherever I go. So if you had the choice to go to any helicopter school for your cfii, where would you go and why?

It's not likely "all helicopter schools" will qualify...probably only 141 schools.

How much assistance will be provided? From SB3447:

(g) Programs of Education Pursued at Institutions Other Than Institutions of Higher Learning-

(1) IN GENERAL- Educational assistance is payable under this chapter for pursuit of an approved program of education at an institution other than an institution of higher learning.

(2) AMOUNT OF ASSISTANCE- The amounts of educational assistance payable under this chapter to each individual entitled to educational assistance under this chapter who is pursuing an approved program of education at an institution other than an institution of higher learning (as defined in section 3452(f) of this title) are amounts as follows:

(A) In the case of an individual enrolled in a program of education (other than a program described in subparagraphs (B) through (D)) in pursuit of a certificate or other non-college degree, amounts as follows:

(i) The lesser of--

(I) the established charges for the program of education; or

(II) the amount of the average of the established charges at all institutions of higher learning in the United States for a program of education leading to a baccalaureate degree as determined by the National Center for Education Statistics of the Department of Education for the most recent academic year.

(ii) A monthly stipend in an amount equal to the monthly amount of the basic allowance for housing payable under section 403 of title 37 for a member with dependents in pay grade E-5 residing in the military housing area that encompasses all or the majority portion of the ZIP code area in which is located the institution at which the individual is enrolled.

(B) In the case of an individual enrolled in a program of education consisting of on-job training or a program of apprenticeship, amounts as follows:

(i) For each month the individual pursues the program--

(I) in the first six-month period of the program, an amount equal to 75 percent of 1/12 of the amount of the average of the established charges at all institutions of higher learning in the United States for a program of education leading to a baccalaureate degree as determined by the National Center for Education Statistics of the Department of Education for the most recent academic year;

(II) in the second six-month period of the program, an amount equal to 55 percent of 1/12 of the amount of such average; and

(III) in any month after the first 12 months of such program, an amount equal to 35 percent of 1/12 of the amount of such average.

(ii) A monthly stipend in an amount equal to the lesser of--

(I) the monthly amount of the basic allowance for housing payable under section 403 of title 37 for a member with dependents in pay grade E-5 residing in the military housing area that encompasses all or the majority portion of the ZIP code area in which is located the employer at which the individual pursues such program; or

(II) the national average of the monthly amount of the basic allowance for housing payable under section 403 of title 37 for a member with dependents in pay grade E-5.

© In the case of an individual enrolled in a program of education consisting of flight training, an amount equal to the lesser of--

(i) the established charges for the program of education; or

(ii) 60 percent of the amount of the average of the established charges at all institutions of higher learning in the United States for a program of education leading to a baccalaureate degree as determined by the National Center for Education Statistics of the Department of Education for the most recent academic year.

That seems to be saying that assistance will be limited to the lesser of the cost of flight training or 60% of the average tuition and fees associated with a bachlor's degree. If that is in fact what it means then that 60% average amount is going to be significantly less than the retail cost of flight training. In other words, this bill still may leave a lot of flight training to be paid by private lenders.

Crap, I didnt see the 60% portion, that means if my math is right the old (Montgomery)gi bill will end up giving you about 10,000 more (counting bah for ch. 33) than the ch. 33 gi bill with the "improved" senate bill. What a great step backwards, if flight training is every fully covered (without wasting years studying art history to get a useless associates degree)the ten years to use your benefits will be up.

https://www.belltrainingacademy.com

I would go there for at least a portion of my training, if not all of it. It would be easy enough to get whatever remaining hours that are needed to teach in other aircraft during or after the courses are completed at the Bell school.

I still have a few benefits left, and would love to find a course that would be covered.

... I wonder if I could surrender my commercial certificate and then be eligible to do the course there :-)