Hello all! Been a while since I posted anything on here. Just wanted to update everyone. I started flying with a little saved money, and was going to try to get a loan for the rest. Well, I couldn't get any loans. I've been thinking about it, and I'm not really upset about it because I really dont want to be in debt for that much money. I have no bills at all right now, so I really just want to find a way that I can save all of the money I need.

So, lately I have thought about getting into truck driving.... Seems to pay well, and I could save the money I need in about 2 years(would be 25 years old, no debt, and be able to finish all flying). Does this sound like a good way to do things??? Does anyone know of any good trucking companies to get started with(I know this is a helicopter site haha just want to ask) ?? Has anyone tried doing this before or know anyone that has? Any advice on this would be great! Or any ideas you might have are welcomed!

Thanks everyone!

Edited by wannabe87

Get your CDL and apply with helicopter companies who are involved in Crop dusting/ Spraying.... You will spend about 1-2yrs on the ground and fill up the helicopter with fuel and chemicals. This way they get to know you and you learn how the operation works.

If they see potential in you, they will pay for your commercial pilot ticket, train you up for the job and put you to work. Since they paid for your ticket your start pay will be low, but you wont have any debt.

Its a hard job, long hours ,living in a trailer/hotel, gone from home during the season but well paid down the road.

Falko

Falko!! Thanks for that reply! I had NEVER even thought about that haha. Do you know of any companies that hire drivers? Or.. do I just need to call all of the ag companies out there? Hell, even if they didnt pay for the training, Im sure I could get an hour of flying here and there, and still save my money. If anyone else knows any companies I should talk to please let me know. I will do whatever it takes to save the money and make this work.

Thanks!!

Hello all! Been a while since I posted anything on here. Just wanted to update everyone. I started flying with a little saved money, and was going to try to get a loan for the rest. Well, I couldn't get any loans. I've been thinking about it, and I'm not really upset about it because I really dont want to be in debt for that much money. I have no bills at all right now, so I really just want to find a way that I can save all of the money I need.

So, lately I have thought about getting into truck driving.... Seems to pay well, and I could save the money I need in about 2 years(would be 25 years old, no debt, and be able to finish all flying). Does this sound like a good way to do things??? Does anyone know of any good trucking companies to get started with(I know this is a helicopter site haha just want to ask) ?? Has anyone tried doing this before or know anyone that has? Any advice on this would be great! Or any ideas you might have are welcomed!

Thanks everyone!

I had a friend that used to make $100,000/year cross country trucking (At least that's what he told me). He became a short haul trucker once his family started growing. Money wasn't quite as good but he was at home at night.

Karl

Thanks everyone!

The good news is you are young. Taking a few years to just work and set aside some cash is a great plan. I've done a similar thing the past few years, though I went into the military to also take advantage of the GI Bill, same idea anyhow. I would only caution that since you don't have a CDL you will have to start at a "training" company such as SWIFT or SCHNEIDER. It isn't like it was back in the day. You may actually have to go to their school first, which costs money. I had a CDL and because of lack of recent experience I still had to start at a "training" company, even though my total amount of experience in the past was more than qualifying. The industry changes so it might not be that difficult *right now*, this was a couple of years ago ( 5 ). With that said, don't plan on making 35 - 40k your first year like they advertise. Plan on making half of that and then you won't be disappointed and pissed off all the time, hating life and your job. You will have to pay your dues just like any other business/trade. If you make more than that = bonus ! The guy that made a 100k was probably an owner/operator, very likely he did just that or more, but now you gotta remember he had to pay his truck note and insurance and fuel out of that money also....

Hey thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful. I also have the GI Bill, but I was in the guard and only have one year active duty, so that only gives me 60% on the new GI bill. But it still helps a lot. I also really like that idea of driving for an AG company! Im going to look more into that this week.

im in the same boat you are... i have no bills, a decent paying job (with plenty of OT) and a lot of drive to get this done... i put about 90% of my paycheck every 2 weeks into a savings account. my first logbook entry was in august of 2008 and i just hit the 100 hr mark. i sold my car nd now i drive a 97 honda accord thats great on gas and maintenance lol... keep on it man! you'll get there, and it will be that much sweeter in the end knowing how hard you worked for it!

Get a CDL, and apply to an AG company? I must admit, I'd never thought of that.

When I looked into Truck Driving, the only entry-level jobs out there were long-haul. That's living in a truck, 3-4 weeks at a time, for 2 years. Sounds pretty lonely, but unlike this industry, there are companies that will pay for your training (allowing you to work it off over about two years), and of course afterwards you'll have the experience to get a short-haul, local job, like with UPS.

Its too bad there's nothing like that for pilots. Anyway, try the AG thing,(unless you want to brave the loneliness of the open road), and let us know how it goes.

:)

OTR driving is definately not a way to make real money. I grew up around trucks--my father just retired about 5 years ago and

not a whole lot to show for it $$ wise, many a missed family function, and back problems from all that sitting around and bouncing

in a truck. I also owned a truck myself and let me tell you-not much fun! The fancy pamphlets that advertise "see the country

and get paid for it" paint a rosy picture, but in reality trucking sucks. You'll see what I mean if you were to spend 10 minutes

at your nearest truckstop. Buy 100 gallons of fuel and you get a free roadkill steak suprise and get to "shower" in world class

facilities that are known disease factories. You really need to investigate your choices before going into trucking. The only guys

making money are the owner/operators that live in their trucks and drive 175000 miles a year. Entry level you might make $40k.

Sure as he@# isn't worth the six day a week schedule. Any other ??s give me a pm. Good luck and fly safe.

• Like 1

I can't imagine any entry level job that would allow you to save up $80,000,

and most financial experts would want you to have a lot more than that saved up before you spent the 80.

And since this is America, one trip to the hospital without insurance and it's gone.

And the 80k only means you're a CFI, you have to be pretty lucky to get hired,

and get a lot of students to carry you to the 1500 hour minimums for another job.

Edited by Shaun

Shaun, don't be so pessimistic. Everything is possible in this world and especially !! in this country...

I'm in alike situation as Wannabe87, but even in slightly more complicated and I still see the light in the end of my tunnel...I'll tell shortly about myself..

Just 2.5 years ago I came to US from another side of our planet with hopes, dreams,thankfully to my school with advanced level of English and just $300 in my pocket. I was 21. I managed to save about $4000 after my first 3 months earning not more then 1800 a month,working at shitty positions in food store and hotel. I was amazed, encouraged and strongly motivated (comparing to my father currently making $450 a month in my motherland)....I changed 3 states within my first year, invested that money in my immigration process,in winter time earned less then a $1000 a month, because wasn't legally authorised to work for a while,but found cheap housing and managed to save about 4 grands within 6 months again. Then moved to NYC, looked for a job for about a month, got hired in some shitty moving company as a sales person for small base weekly wage and comission. Was a bit nervous in the beginning, because my job was to convince person to pay certain amount of money for particular services speaking over the phone and not even my native language...in 3 months I moved on to another moving company with nice and friendly managemened and nice people to learn from....Now I've been working as a moving company sales person for about 14 months. I've managed to increase my income, English language skills to the level I understand asian accents through static and phone line breaking ups. And saved about 11-12 thousands dollars for the last year....My goal is to finish my immigration process in the beginning of next year, give it another year or two, keep my expenses low and start flight school programm with all required cash saved to get from 0 to CFII without wasting time and money...If it takes longer for me, I'll take more time, as much as needed to succeed to be a helicotper pilot in US.

And please don't tell me, that something is impossible in our beautiful country.

Edited by X-filer

I think your conflating possible with prudent.

You may be right, but I'm just trying to aim for the best and go for it, because there's nothing else left for me to do.

You may be right, but I'm just trying to aim for the best and go for it, because there's nothing else left for me to do.

X-filer,

We can help you make it work with inexpensive training rates nationwide. We are an advertiser on this site and have a helicopter in the NYC area. I believe that Shaun also was able to get a lot of helicopter time with us for a fraction of what it would cost elsewhere and was given a first job with us which we guarantee to all graduates. Check out www.HelicopterAcademy.com