Rolling Out/In

Have You...  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Have you performed a rolling takeoff?

• Yes-Wheeled
    • Not on Wheels
    • Yes-Skids
    • Not on Skids
  2. 2. Have you performed a rolling landing?

• Yes-Wheeled
    • Not on Wheels
    • Yes-Skids
    • Not on Skids

Ok, so I was hanging out on the web the other day watching some videos and came across a video of a rolling takeoff, which, I can understand if you are near max capacity on you internal load, but then I saw some rolling landings and unless your in some type of emergency/failure situation. Although I guess I could see this as the same reasoning for the rolling takeoff, that is if you don't feel like making the vertical transition in the air. Just wanted everybody's thoughts on this topic since I myself don't fly yet.

P.S.

Here is what I am talking about.

S-76 Rolls Down

Article on the subject

Edited by Auto-Rotation-Nation

We'll use a rolling takeoff here in the desert, in the summer. We have old 700 series engines in our Hawks, and in the summer, max tq available isn't as high as it is now (back to 100% in the winter).

We'll do a rolling landing for the same reasons, or an emergency procedure (most commonly a single engine failure, but some tail rotor EPs also want it). dust landings get a rolling touchdown, to stay out of the dust cloud. Not very fast on those. Practice roll ons we'll do as high as 60 knots ground speed.

Did running landings (skids) in the TH-67, both autos and just because. Never a running takeoff, but I understand they did them in the Huey.

I've done running a TO in the R-44 Raven II while we were taking off from Boulder, Co. We had a full fuel load, two 200-lb guys and about 70 pounds of baggage. It was a fairly short running take off, but one all the same.

Just during training in the R22. Not much emphasis was placed on the running takeoff. I was taught that if you're so heavy in an R22 that the only way to get airborn is a running T/O, then you prob shouldn't even attempt to go flying. On the other hand, we've done many running landings.

I would have to check, but under part 135 I don't think Rolling Take-Off/landings are allowed.

Now is this a statement of about a law in a certain area or country or overall?

Part 135 of the FARs. Give me a minute to check.

Companies that operate for hire such as charters from point A to B operate under Part 135 of the FARs. They also have to follow their Operation Specifications which are approved by their Principle Operations Inspector from the FSDO.

It must of been a company policy I came across in the past. I have not found a reference in FAR 135 not allowing Running/Rolling Take-Offs.

One reason it wouldn't be allowed is the higher risk that goes along with them. If you have to do a Rolling Take-Off then performance is an issue. Some companies don't want to allow their pilots to do those types of take offs when operating under Part 135(with passengers) for that reason.

Ok, so I was hanging out on the web the other day watching some videos and came across a video of a rolling takeoff, which, I can understand if you are near max capacity on you internal load, but then I saw some rolling landings and unless your in some type of emergency/failure situation. Although I guess I could see this as the same reasoning for the rolling takeoff, that is if you don't feel like making the vertical transition in the air. Just wanted everybody's thoughts on this topic since I myself don't fly yet.

P.S.

Here is what I am talking about.

S-76 Rolls Down

Article on the subject

As you see from your reference video of the Bell 222 and the S-76 those are normal everyday operations. When you come into an airport ramp or depart from the ramp of any airport around other aircraft that's a common taxi, take-off, and landing procedure.

You have to remember, when you're operating medium and heavy helicopters, downwash can and will cause havoc to dirt, loose debris, and other aircraft. That's the way you would bring in a S-61 or S-64 Skycrane to the ramp. Even when you're careful you'll still get a airport manager storm-out to tell you they had to close a runway or taxi way because of your downwash.

With medium and heavy you need to minimize unnecessary hovering in and around the ramp. I don't think any of those videos have anything to do with lack of power.

Anyway, once you become accustom to wheels you'll be hooked. Moreover, that's the upmost of cool, rolling into the ramp like the corporate gulfstream's. "That's The Way They Roll."

Edited by iChris

Chris couldn't agree more I don't fly yet but I do know that I love the smooth look and the attitude that comes along with them. And hey i have to admit i also just love big helicopters

I'm not sure how it would be possible to do a rolling takeoff with skids. I've done scraping, dragging takeoffs in skid-mounted helicopters, though. There were times in a UH1 when the load was so heavy that hover wasn't possible, but dropping weight wasn't an option, so we took off however we could. I haven't had that problem in civilian flying, however. I've done rolling takeoffs and landings in the S76 many times. The takeoffs were mostly just for practice. Rolling landings can be beneficial, however, both to reduce downwash and to get on the runway after an instrument approach with 1/4 mile visibility. In the dark under those conditions, when it's too foggy to even hover directly to the ramp because you can't see it, the easiest way to do it is to just continue the approach to the runway, then taxi on the wheels along the taxiways. Rolling to the ramp reduces the possibility of damage from rotorwash and blown debris to fixed-wing aircraft parked there, and is the normal way to get there if you have wheels. Rolling landings are also the way to make an engine-out landing. With one engine, it's likely not possible to hover without overtemping the good engine, and there is no reason to melt it just to hover.

I'm not sure how it would be possible to do a rolling takeoff with skids.

How to do a rolling takeoff with skids:

Step 1. Raise collective until the helicopter is light on the skids.

Step 2. Apply full lateral cyclic in either direction.

*Warning- The helicopter will only roll for a couple of feet and may not gain very much altitude. :lol:

Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...