Heli-Expo 2011

rjl2001

So it seems like every year I notice a post or two about Heli-Expo and who all is going. Haven't seen one this year so thought I'd go ahead and do it. I've been trying to get to one for a few years, but something always came up. So I'm pretty excited to be able to go to this one. Plus it's in my home state of FL so I'll be able to visit some family while I'm there.

So who else is ready for a weekend of warm Florida weather and staring at some beautiful helicopters?

My team and i will be there from the 3rd thru the 8th, we will also have a table at the job fair. Mike Franz will be at our table helping us with interviews so if you want to meet him that would be a great time, i know he will be very busy as usual so it might be the only time you can catch him.

We are looking for a Chief Instructor as two of our high time guys will be moving on in the next couple of months (they already have positions and are waiting for their calls to report). The position requires 141 experience and someone that will stay for a while. We are also going to need two contract pilots in the next couple of months to do some utility work. Not sure about the minimums on those positions yet, but i expect 1000 hours turbine and the bell factory course... i'll get back to everyone on that one asap.

We have also been working with a consortium to provide logistics for a Heli-Ski operation, one of our long time dreams and goals. If you know of someone, or are someone, that would be interested in working with us on that project please contact us at the Expo. We expect this project to be at least one year out but we are very excited about it and have been working on it for over two years already. Please do not apply unless you have the qualifications, which i would expect to be over five years in the Heli-ski business and at least 5K hours of mountain time (WP i hope you are reading this and will be there, if not please contact me when you can as you are on my list).

We hope to see all of you that can come, even if you aren't looking for a job, please stop in to say hi at our table, we will also meet after hours or for breakfast (or both) to network and talk about helicopters and SBT and we'll hand out cards with the time and place at the Job Fair, just ask.

It has always been very cool to meet the folks here on VR and have breakfast with all of Goldy's friends (i hope he doesn't bring Chuck Norris again this year)... i cannot tell you how much i am looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Sincerely,

dp

• Like 1

My team and i will be there from the 3rd thru the 8th, we will also have a table at the job fair. Mike Franz will be at our table helping us with interviews so if you want to meet him that would be a great time, i know he will be very busy as usual so it might be the only time you can catch him.

We are looking for a Chief Instructor as two of our high time guys will be moving on in the next couple of months (they already have positions and are waiting for their calls to report). The position requires 141 experience and someone that will stay for a while. We are also going to need two contract pilots in the next couple of months to do some utility work. Not sure about the minimums on those positions yet, but i expect 1000 hours turbine and the bell factory course... i'll get back to everyone on that one asap.

We have also been working with a consortium to provide logistics for a Heli-Ski operation, one of our long time dreams and goals. If you know of someone, or are someone, that would be interested in working with us on that project please contact us at the Expo. We expect this project to be at least one year out but we are very excited about it and have been working on it for over two years already. Please do not apply unless you have the qualifications, which i would expect to be over five years in the Heli-ski business and at least 5K hours of mountain time (WP i hope you are reading this and will be there, if not please contact me when you can as you are on my list).

We hope to see all of you that can come, even if you aren't looking for a job, please stop in to say hi at our table, we will also meet after hours or for breakfast (or both) to network and talk about helicopters and SBT and we'll hand out cards with the time and place at the Job Fair, just ask.

It has always been very cool to meet the folks here on VR and have breakfast with all of Goldy's friends (i hope he doesn't bring Chuck Norris again this year)... i cannot tell you how much i am looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Sincerely,

dp

Dennis,

I am planning on the VR course this year. Maybe we can sit and talk a little.

I will be there to harass you. How about I bring H.M. Murdock?

Richard

• Like 1

Since I am only 4 hours from the heli expo and a tight wad, would it be worth it for someone who doesn't have any flying experience to go? I am trying to justify the cost of taking my family down to Orlando for me to basically look and drool at helicopters. I really want to go, but am lacking on the justification aspect of it.

Thanks,

Kirk

Since I am only 4 hours from the heli expo and a tight wad, would it be worth it for someone who doesn't have any flying experience to go? I am trying to justify the cost of taking my family down to Orlando for me to basically look and drool at helicopters. I really want to go, but am lacking on the justification aspect of it.

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk, in a word, YES! If you are interested in helicopters there is no better place to expose yourself to the industry. Figuratively speaking. If you are an aspiring pilot, I highly suggest attending the Heli-Success 101 seminar than Mr. Lyn Burks puts on at Heli-Expo and in a longer format every year in Las Vegas. It is a great way to introduce yourself not only to the industry, but to the people that move and shake within it. I think you should try and consider if you can afford to miss it!

All of this is just my humble opinion however. It certainly helped to shape my career and opportunities, and I cant say enough good things about it.

Enjoy!

Yep, I will be there. Making the long journey cross country from WA State to FL.

But I found a killer airfare on Conti for 89$ plus tax and fees per way, so I couldn't pass

up the opportunity to spend a few days in sunny FL.

If anybody is up for drinks after a show day, or grab a bite to eat before or after, I am game.

Just let me know!

cheers,

Swisster

Thanks,

Kirk

For me, it's not worth it. It's $100 at the door, I believe, and it's really geared towards operators. If you wanna drool over helicopters, I'd be in the parking lot the day before the show to watch the fly in, or the day of closing to watch the fly out.

The seminars are another matter. But if you just wanna look at helicopters, I wouldn't pay that much to do it.

Edited by C of G

For me, it's not worth it. It's $100 at the door, I believe, and it's really geared towards operators. If you wanna drool over helicopters, I'd be in the parking lot the day before the show to watch the fly in, or the day of closing to watch the fly out.

The seminars are another matter. But if you just wanna look at helicopters, I wouldn't pay that much to do it.

I would like to attend alot of the seminars but without any stick time I think alot of it would be over my head as far as applicabilty towards the aircraft. Data and knowledge are great but they are just that until I can apply the knowledge somewhere.

On another note: Do any of you happen to know a good company to take a helicopter ride with down there? I need to get my wife on- board with the whole flying thing. She just doesn't quite get why my every thought is on flying and getting into a helicopter. Can't quite explain it to her.

Hey Kirk, there is Air Orlando at Orlando Executive Airport. Their main focus is fixed wing, but they also do heli training in a Schweizer. http://www.flyairorlando.com/ Oh, and there are a few small single ship tour operators near Orlando/Disney, might be able to get a cheap tour in an R44 or something. Being 4 hours away, I would recommend you make the trip. The next one or two could be halfway across the country, so might as well take advantage of being that close. Plus if you can get a student ticket rate the admission is really cheap.

I'm also looking forward to meeting some more VR members down there, dinner or drinks sounds like a good idea.

I'm going! Great time of the year to get out of Alaska and get some sun. Got some 44 time scheduled for a little xc down to the keys. Hopefully some fishing and Universal studios too! Gonna be a good time!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Probably just be there on Sunday for the expo. Get the wife and kids to get a helicopter flight on Sat. possibly along with other stuff for the kiddos. Kids aren't going to sit around and look at me listen to helicopter stuff all weekend long (maybe my 6 year old)! LOL

Hope to meet you there!

Kirk

Would love to be going this year. Was at it the last time it was in Orlando in 2007. Always a good time in Orlando too.

I'll be in Africa doing some charity work for 10 days, leaving on Tuesday. It's going to be awesome too though.

Have fun down there everyone.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Probably just be there on Sunday for the expo. Get the wife and kids to get a helicopter flight on Sat. possibly along with other stuff for the kiddos. Kids aren't going to sit around and look at me listen to helicopter stuff all weekend long (maybe my 6 year old)! LOL

Hope to meet you there!

Kirk

K couple things. I checked with Chuck, he's busy right now but I hear Charlie Sheen has some unexpected time off so he may tag along.

There is a opening night party Sat night (its free..and you dont need your show credentials) that everyone should attend. Be sure to put VR near your name tag (if they have name tags).

Lets all check in at DP's booth as a central point. I, or DP will post whatever our meeting plans are for beer or dinner and we can communicate that via DP's table....so be sure to check that out.

Most of us will post our cell numbers the night before the show or so, just send me a text if you want to get together on the show floor.

Looking forward to a great expo once again!

Goldy

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 1

I am planning on going for one of the days I just haven't decided yet. This will be my first time so I'm not sure which day would be best. I'm new to the helicopter world and would love to get to meet you guys. Any suggestions on which day would be best?

Kirk, I'm not sure if you have heard about Kissimmee Helicopters, they operate an R-44 with extremely competitive prices and they are a great bunch of guys to deal with. They are also part of Warbird Adventures which does T-6 flight training and they have a very cool museum with tons of things to look at as well. Would give you and your family something fun to do while you are there for a helicopter ride. And they are only 15 minutes south of Orlando. I drive 2 hours to do my flight training with them. Both helicopter instructors happen to be the owners and they are high time pilots so you would be getting your moneys worth for sure.

Thanks guys for all the wonderful knowledge here and I can't wait to meet you guys at the show!

Adam

Hey Folks, i will also be looking for a full time pilot with the following qualifications:

1500 TT, 100 Turbine, 50 in Bell 206. 10 hours of long line. You do not need to be carded but it would be advantageous.

Please meet me at the Job Fair if you are at the expo.. if not you can email me at: dp770@comcast.net

thanks,

dp

Sincerely,

dp

Hey Folks, i will also be looking for a full time pilot with the following qualifications:

1500 TT, 100 Turbine, 50 in Bell 206. 10 hours of long line. You do not need to be carded but it would be advantageous.

Please meet me at the Job Fair if you are at the expo.. if not you can email me at: dp770@comcast.net

thanks,

dp

Can I assume that is a CFI slot? Instrument?

Geez, I would apply but I only have 9.9 longline!

BTW- WhistlerPilot does a fair bit of heli skiing piloting....may want to pick his brain.

Can I assume that is a CFI slot? Instrument?

Geez, I would apply but I only have 9.9 longline!

BTW- WhistlerPilot does a fair bit of heli skiing piloting....may want to pick his brain.

Hey Golden One,

Not a CFI position, but working a fire contract.. it would be right up your alley tho!! Except it's flying a 206 not a 214!! :-)

yep on WP, put that in my post... he is most certainly on my list for help on that project.

dp

• Like 1

If any of you are traveling through the panhandle on the way down and run into trouble, get stuck, Murphy got you etc. and need some help. Give me a call. I will be in Panama City until Thursday night, Jacksonville on Friday and traveling from Tallahassee early Sat morning to Orlando.

Or if you are down there and would like to meet up during/after the show. Shoot me a text as well.

Kirk

719-351-0771

• Like 1

HelicopterAcademy.com will have a booth in the show for which we paid good money and a table at the job fair which is free. If you want a free ticket drop me a line at HeliAcademy@aol.com or call Tom McDermott 561-346-2816. Stop by our booth for some cool and free stuff. Orlando is the centroid of Florida and we have about ten helicopters within four hours of this location and they all carry the insignia of 'BOATPIX.COM'. Its 86 degrees here right now and we are out taking pictures of boats. I've been going to this show for 20 years and you'll have a huge grin on your face when you walk in and see all those heavy helicopters you've only dreamed about. You'll also find that you got a stiffy, too.