Southern California Helicopter Careers

My long term goal is to live and fly in southern California, somewhere between San Diego and L.A. I will have around 3000 hrs by the time I am ready to move out there. I have looked into a few places, most opportunities seem to be closer to LA although San Diego is my preference. I am looking for advice from anyone with knowledge of helicopter operators in this area. I don't need to get rich but I will need pay that allows me to absorb the higher cost of living there.

Thanks,

T

What aircraft types do you have time in and how much longline time?

Majority of my time is in 500's, then 206B & R44, then R22 in training. No longline yet, been working on trying to get that before I move out there. Might get a chunk of UH-1 time this year, still waiting to see how that plays out.

really? you need advice on what helicopter careers are in LA.?!.. what helicopter careers are anywhere?? (besides the gulf). EMS, Utility, Cops, Fire dept, Training, Ag, Tours, Corporate, ENG... did I miss some?

Oh yeah... pay will be low and will most likely not cover higher cost of living.. get rich?? You gave that up by being just a pilot.

I'm really not trying to knock you down here... just giving a check to what you already knew or should have already known on your own. If you're looking for operators... start with HAI and their databases... then go to the FAA website and pull data on helicopters that are registered in the area you desire and find out who is operating what and who owns them.

• Like 3

really? you need advice on what helicopter careers are in LA.?!.. what helicopter careers are anywhere?? (besides the gulf). EMS, Utility, Cops, Fire dept, Training, Ag, Tours, Corporate, ENG... did I miss some?

Oh yeah... pay will be low and will most likely not cover higher cost of living.. get rich?? You gave that up by being just a pilot.

I'm really not trying to knock you down here... just giving a check to what you already knew or should have already known on your own. If you're looking for operators... start with HAI and their databases... then go to the FAA website and pull data on helicopters that are registered in the area you desire and find out who is operating what and who owns them.

Easy now, just looking for some input on any specific operators from people with first hand knowledge of the area. Not sure why you would take the time to respond to my post merely to criticize it. I have access to and know how to use the internet or yellow pages for that matter. According to you no jobs there cover the cost of living so I guess all southern California pilots live out of state and commute. Also I don't think I gave up being rich to be a pilot, that probably wasn't going to happen anyway. ;)

Someone once told me as a kid, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Still applies.

• Like 6

There is supposed to be some big powerlines being built in southern california in the next few years. But they are running into all sorts of permitting issues so they are slow starting. some 135 work for survey crews and such but mostly 133. Get some longline experience and it will really broaden your options.

I didn't merely criticize it... I gave some info too...

I didn't say no jobs cover the cost of living... I said they most likely will not cover the higher cost of living in So. Cal.

You're on an internet message board... I suppose the new saying should be If you don't have anything intelligent to say...

I really was trying to give you some constructive information since your post left me thinking... why should I give this guy some information based on the broad and undirected post he left... so I tried to give as much pertinent information while questioning your understanding of the subject.

now go ahead and click the red circle :rolleyes:

• Like 4

There is supposed to be some big powerlines being built in southern california in the next few years. But they are running into all sorts of permitting issues so they are slow starting. some 135 work for survey crews and such but mostly 133. Get some longline experience and it will really broaden your options.

True,

T, give me a call, i know one of the guys that's hiring for that project. I would certainly recommend you...

dp

• Like 1

My long term goal is to live and fly in southern California, somewhere between San Diego and L.A. I will have around 3000 hrs by the time I am ready to move out there. I have looked into a few places, most opportunities seem to be closer to LA although San Diego is my preference. I am looking for advice from anyone with knowledge of helicopter operators in this area. I don't need to get rich but I will need pay that allows me to absorb the higher cost of living there.

Thanks,

T

When you get close to coming out, just PM me. My first recommendation would be the local TV contract holder which flies AStars...so any Astar time would be a plus. But, who knows where that contract will be a few years down the road. Its good that you're making inquiries, there are a lot more ships and work (and also pilots competing for that work) in LA than in SD.

• Like 1

True,

T, give me a call, i know one of the guys that's hiring for that project. I would certainly recommend you...

dp

When you get close to coming out, just PM me. My first recommendation would be the local TV contract holder which flies AStars...so any Astar time would be a plus. But, who knows where that contract will be a few years down the road. Its good that you're making inquiries, there are a lot more ships and work (and also pilots competing for that work) in LA than in SD.

Thanks guys, this is why I love this forum.

For EMS, AirM/Mercy Air still has a pretty big presence throughout SoCal, & might offer some better location opportunities from time-time. REACH has gotten a strong foothold in what was Mercy's backyard. CalStar might be a little too far North.

Just a couple pennies...

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Chase Helicopters for the Off-Road race teams! Terrible Herbst has a couple of A-stars and a 206 for sure. I know robby gordon has a 407, or used to, haven't seen it out lately.

But that would be a kick ass weekend gig in so cal for sure.

Most of the Trophy Truck teams use their own corporate pilots or hire Sundance Helicopters out of Vegas, with the exception of a couple r44's used by media... Last time I visited the Terrible Herbst hanger they only had one a-star and were selling the Gulfstream III, and down sizing to the Citation they've owned prior to purchasing the G3...

Chase Helicopters for the Off-Road race teams! Terrible Herbst has a couple of A-stars and a 206 for sure. I know robby gordon has a 407, or used to, haven't seen it out lately.

But that would be a kick ass weekend gig in so cal for sure.

Chase Baja race teams! You too can end up like this guy!

That was quite an ordeal with an armed gang taking over the morgue to get their drug lord ring leaders body back.....

That was quite an ordeal with an armed gang taking over the morgue to get their drug lord ring leaders body back.....

Say what?

Most of the Trophy Truck teams use their own corporate pilots or hire Sundance Helicopters out of Vegas, with the exception of a couple r44's used by media... Last time I visited the Terrible Herbst hanger they only had one a-star and were selling the Gulfstream III, and down sizing to the Citation they've owned prior to purchasing the G3...

Never been lucky enough to visit their hanger or garage so the types of aircraft could be a bit older information. But the monster pilot I talked to at Parker last year said that he just flys for them and gordon when they race/prerun/test. He said he works ag full time and that is more of a hobby, but hes definitely not corporate.

With that you'd have a good shot at a lot of companies.

Why on earth would you want to live in Southern CA? I'm one you'll most likely not ever be competing against for a job in So Cal.

I have friends and family there plus I like it there.

Say what?

Yes, the guy in the co-pilot seat was a major drug lord in Mexico. The local PD took his body to the morgue, and then the morgue was swarmed later that night by armed banditos wanting their boss's body back. They took it, under armed guard. It was quite an ordeal at the time...it seems now, these things are almost a daily occurrance.

What happened? Wire strike?

Yes wire strike. Wire was about 20-25 feet in the air I recall. Maybe a phone line, but I'm over 50 now so who can remember anything!!

Yes wire strike. Wire was about 20-25 feet in the air I recall. Maybe a phone line, but I'm over 50 now so who can remember anything!!

...So says the The Most Interesting Man in the World. He has forgotten more than the combined human knowledge from the past 3 centuries.

...His reputation is expanding, faster then the universe...

...Alien abductors have asked him, to probe them...

...He speaks fluent French, in Russian...

...Even his enemies list him as their emergency contact...

...He’s won trophies for his game face alone...

(compare his old image to his current image)

Goldythumb.php.jpg

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-