Guest Maximinious

I used to be an ANR and Bose skeptic. I was never impressed with the Aviation X.

Bose changed my mind with the A20. Now I am an A20 owner.

I don't know how it performs with piston engines or doors off though.

There are numerous headset discussions already in the forums. Do a search for lots of info and other pilots experiences/opinions.

I haven't heard many bad things about CEPs except that they'd cancel out TOO much noise. I tried a Bose and was not very content with it when flying without doors. Ever since I just use foam earplugs under my DCs or my MP3-headphones. Not sophisticated but works very good for a fraction of the price.

David Clarks with CEPs are a simple and cheap solution, too. You can install them yourself, doesn't require much DIY and you can even save a few bucks if you want to make the interface-part yourself (under $10 in materials)

CEPs cancel slightly less noise than foam earplugs. They use foam earplugs for the noise cancellation, but the speakers going into the foam lessen the effect, I estimate by maybe a dB or so, not enough to really hear. The advantage is that you get the audio into your ears, and it's much clearer than with foam plugs and headset speakers. IMO a properly fitted DC headset with CEP installed is about as good as you can get for noise suppression. I used to use a custom-made DC headset, made using the large domes used on aircraft carriers, and they are excellent for noise suppression, but I found it to be overkill, and the weight and heat became more than I wanted. I prefer in-the-ear headsets, which are essentially just CEPs with a mike, but I don't think they're suitable for use flying with the doors off. There, you need more than just earplugs, I think. With a good passive headset and CEPs, you're getting about as much noise suppression as you can get. I've always been careful of my hearing, and even though I"m in my 60s, with a military background and 40+ years flying helicopters, my hearing is still pretty good.

• 1 month later...

I use DCs (an old military issue one) with CEPs. I love it. I borrowed a DC ANR headset, and the ANR gives me a massive headache in the back of my head. It does cancel a lot of the noise out. You have to train yourself with low rotor. But, even when I'm wearing foggles, I still have full hearing protection, which is more than I can say for ANR or just a plain headset.

The DC headset plastic (at least on mine) has thick plastic. I would recommend that after you secure the plug on the headset (there is a silver anchor that locks on to the threads) is to super glue it. I used Gorilla Glue, but do it after you have it secured, it provides a ground. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. :)

If you have any questions, PM me.

They don't offer a coiled cord. Mine is straight.

have you found any issues with it getting tangled in the flight controls at all since the cord is so long. I do know they make a shortened piece for the helicopter now but still seems potentially hazardous.

• Like 1

Bose A20 with custom fitted musicians earplugs (25db filters in the plugs).

I was a David Clark fan until I flew a customers 44 with the older Bose X (never liked them), and the A20. Tried both in flight for comparison.

I just bought a set of A20s.....getting rid of the David Clark set.

Bose nailed it with the A20....much better than the X or the David Clark.

I think headsets/helmets are a lot like many other things, very subjective. Some people swear by one model while others hate it. Probably none is perfect for everyone, and that's why they sell many different makes and models. Everyone is free to buy whatever model works best for him/her.

• Like 1

have you found any issues with it getting tangled in the flight controls at all since the cord is so long. I do know they make a shortened piece for the helicopter now but still seems potentially hazardous.

No issues at all.

I highly recommend to get custom fit musicians earplugs. They are state of the art, and have custom filters that allow for either 9, 15, or 25db of reduction. The are evenly filtered through the frequencies so that you still get great sound quality! I can recommend someone if you would like, just PM me!

I borrowed a DC from a friend for 2mo when I first started flying, then had a Bose X for 3.5 years, sold that on eBay for about 30% less than I paid for it and now I've been flying with the A20 up to 7hrs/day for the last 6mo. Love it. The straight cord with the single pin version isn't as long as straight cords on FW headsets that I've run into in the past, it seems just the right length, actually. And if the jack is in the floor (EC130) then the coil is pointless anyway. In the Astar I just loop it through the headrest on it's way up to the ceiling jack to keep it out of the way, which I imagine I would do with a coil too if I still had one. I've never had to wrap it up and zip-tie extra loops or anything, there just isn't that much of it.

All that said, I'd be interested in good earplugs. I've never had luck with any kind, they all make my ears sore within minutes...I think I just have small ears. My husband got custom-molded CEPs for his helmet and he says they are not as comfy as he'd hoped. He is also a musician, I'll have to ask him about the ones he wears for gigs in comparison!

HG03 :D

I borrowed a DC from a friend for 2mo when I first started flying, then had a Bose X for 3.5 years, sold that on eBay for about 30% less than I paid for it and now I've been flying with the A20 up to 7hrs/day for the last 6mo. Love it. The straight cord with the single pin version isn't as long as straight cords on FW headsets that I've run into in the past, it seems just the right length, actually. And if the jack is in the floor (EC130) then the coil is pointless anyway. In the Astar I just loop it through the headrest on it's way up to the ceiling jack to keep it out of the way, which I imagine I would do with a coil too if I still had one. I've never had to wrap it up and zip-tie extra loops or anything, there just isn't that much of it.

All that said, I'd be interested in good earplugs. I've never had luck with any kind, they all make my ears sore within minutes...I think I just have small ears. My husband got custom-molded CEPs for his helmet and he says they are not as comfy as he'd hoped. He is also a musician, I'll have to ask him about the ones he wears for gigs in comparison!

HG03 :D

I have a set of custom molded CEP plugs too and I agree they are not as comfortable as the standard foam tips. They aren't any quieter either.

All of this simply illustrates that hearing protection is a very personal thing and everyone will have different results. I can't begin to count the number and variety of equipment I've used over my 20+ year flying career, but right now I'm very happy with my Gentex/CEP combo for helicopter and Bose A20 for FW.

My unit has either Gentex or the Gailee (sp?) helicopter helmets issued to us. If we want CEP's installed, our avionics guys install them. Most of us have them because it's like wearing ear plugs inside of ear muffs, yet you can CLEARLY hear the radio and noise is limited.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my CEP's. I fly 5-6 hours per day, 4 days per week and CEP's are an ear-saver!!!!

Does any one know when the A20 is coming out with a coiled helicopter cord? Thanks!

Have you tried the Zulu? I've had mine for about two years now, and its awesome! It comes with a coiled cord, and is just as good as the old Bose that I used every so often. I haven't been able to campare it to the A20,...but it is cheaper!

:)

All that said, I'd be interested in good earplugs. I've never had luck with any kind, they all make my ears sore within minutes...I think I just have small ears.

I have the same problem with the 'in-the-ear' stuff. I just get the cheap, 'drug store' foam plugs and cut them in half. That way they don't get crammed in as far (and thus don't hurt), and combined with my Zulu, work perfectly!

:D

Edited by r22butters

Have you tried the Zulu? I've had mine for about two years now, and its awesome! It comes with a coiled cord, and is just as good as the old Bose that I used every so often. I haven't been able to campare it to the A20,...but it is cheaper!

I have the same problem with the 'in-the-ear' stuff. I just get the cheap, 'drug store' foam plugs and cut them in half. That way they don't get crammed in as far (and thus don't hurt), and combined with my Zulu, work perfectly!

:D

Thank you butters I have not. I will try but I am one of those Bose fans. You know what I mean. The protection of my ears and the ability to hear better and clear for safety is my number one concern. Price should never play into your choice of choosing any thing if you ask me unless you are a starving actor. But my opinion is safety, safety and safety.

• Like 1

Thank you butters I have not. I will try but I am one of those Bose fans. You know what I mean. The protection of my ears and the ability to hear better and clear for safety is my number one concern...

I feel the same way about my hearing (especially as I've gotten older and have seen the difficulties my parents and grandparents are having with their hearing aids).

I don't have the latest Zulu, but it is the primary/more expensive one (just a couple of years old). It says Zulu:C on the box.

I will admit though, the Bose does look better.

So have you decided yet butters to go and earn your pilots legs and get your cfi and cfii so you can start flying again? or are you just going to watch the dream go by? Not trying to be rude just asking a honest question because the experienced pilots have given you some good advice. its like a ship some people never get sick out to sea and others do. the ones that do get use to it. there is always sea sickness pills have to tried that? It does work the same so I have been told.

Yeah, the Zulu is just too bulky for me. The A20 is even more streamlined than the X, has the same goodies as the Zulu, and better ANR than both so I'm happy! I do use the foam plugs, but it's the expansion in my ear that hurts. Maybe if I cut them in half along the longitudinal axis? :P