Mike Franz Seminars in Denver

Hello all,

Colorado Heli-Ops is hosting Mike Franz for the week of August 10th thru the 17th again this year. Mike will be putting on his C & E Seminar on Saturday the 13th at our conference room at Heli-Ops. We can seat about thirty folks there and had almost that many participants the last time he was here.

Mike will also be the speaker at a FAASTeam Seminar Thursday evening August 11th at the Terminal building here at KBJC. The subject is “Reducing the GA accident rate” and will focus on the benefits of scenario based training.

There is a charge for the full day C & E course but the FAASTeam seminar is free. Details are below…

Mike will be at Heli-Ops that whole week and available most times if you want to meet him and discuss his programs. This is about safety and being a part of the solution.. we sincerely hope everyone can attend, even if you train, fly or teach at another school.. this is about YOU and making our industry better.

Here’s a link to the FAASTeam seminar, it’s filling up quickly so sign up now if you want to come.

http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=39776

C&E Seminar

FAASTeam representative, Mike Franz, will hold a Seminar titled “Clarification & Enhancement of Aeronautical Knowledge for Helicopter Pilots” at Colorado Heli-Ops on Saturday, August 13th, 2011. Starting time is 9AM until about 5PM.

Topic's presented will include but are not limited to; Performance factors, personal safe mentality preparation, Density Altitude factors, Power required/Reserve power, RPM Droop considerations, ETL considerations, ATC ‘devils’, H/V Diagram thinking development, High Hovers, Tail Rotor Failures, Low operating altitudes, Aborted Take Offs, Autorotation considerations, Long cross country considerations, Pilot Errors, Situational Awareness, Real World Missions Planning with Risk Management and solid Aeronautical Decision Making.

Cost is $100 per person for the whole day and Heli-Ops will provide lunch. (What do you pay for 7 to 8 hours of ground instruction at your flight school)?

For more information and/or to schedule your seat, contact the Heli-Ops team at the number below. Or email: info@coloradoheliops.com

Mike’s Experience:

• 7,600+ hours of cross country flight time with experience from St. Thomas, V.I. to Anchorage, Alaska and from NE Canada to San Diego, California. Also has flown in Russia, in the Arctic Circle and in New Zealand.

• Attended multiple factory pilot transition and recurrent courses in R22, Hiller 12 Soloy, B206, B206L, EC120, AS350, B407

• Urban Night Emergencies Course at American Eurocopter in EC120

• Additional Flt. time in B47G, G2, G2A1, G5, B47 Soloy; Hiller12D, E, SL4 & Soloy; TH55, H269A, H269C; R22, R44; UH1A,B,C,D & H, & Russian Mi2

• Completed various Manufacturers’ Maintenance courses including the Rotax 912 Engine Service Course, Bell Functional Check Pilot & Bell 407 Field Maintenance.

Colin Downie, a CFI-RH & FITS SBT Facilitator states, “As a direct result of the C&E Seminar, my own understanding of several subjects has been greatly enhanced and my 'safe pilot mentality' has evolved to another level entirely which can only be a great thing for me and the person that I am training. I now teach subjects like the HV diagram, Density Altitude, Autorotations and cross country flights (to name only a few) with a refreshing new perspective that I can clearly see is safer, wiser and contributing to the smarter pilot mentality of the person that I am teaching and the helicopter training system as a whole. Attending the C&E Seminar got me hired in Houston!”

Colorado Heli-Ops * 11844 Corporate Way * Broomfield, CO 80021

303.466.4354 * coloradoheliops.com

• Like 1

Sounds interesting. Does he ever do these C & E Seminars a bit closer to San Francisco?

:)

By the way,...Urban Night Emergencies Course?,...anyone do something like that in an R22?

:huh:

Edited by r22butters

Butters, I can do a C&E Seminar anywhere for an interested group of helo pilots. E-mail me for details if you want to put a group together.

The Urban Night Emergencies Course was offer by American Eurocopter in Grand Prairie. 4 hours of ground & 2 hours of flight with 31 landings, 12 full down autos, all EPs and all without a landing light for night vision adaptation!

Great training!

Mike

• Like 1

From the agenda it seems like it will be a bit technical, but since this is right in my backyard I figured I'd ask... would this be at all useful to someone like me that hasn't started training yet?

edit: Also is the FAASTeam on the 11th the same seminar that is going to be given the day before Heli-Success in November? I'd like to attend but will be getting back from a business trip that afternoon so will wait until Vegas if it's the same one.

Edited by HoverMatt

Matt, The FAASTeam Seminar in Las Vegas will not be the same. We will most likely have 3 different speakers with 3 different topics. I will be one of the speakers. The other two are still TBD.

• Like 1

HoverMatt,

I feel you would get a lot out of the two programs that will be presented. Many items presented/discussed in the first ADM hour will open the eyes of CFIs attending.

I make the programs interactive and fun. Mention ADM and the "snooze" factor elevates, not so during this one.

It will also give you an opportunity to meet CFIs, and other pilots from the area. Be sure to register for the "Wings" program, reserve a seat as they are limited and receive the credit for attending.

If you attend, please introduce yourself.

Mike

Edited by Mikemv
  • Like 1

50 people signed up for the SBT Wings program Thursday night, we are thinking about having another one on Sunday, if you are interested and cannot make the Thursday program let me know.

12 folks signed up for the C & E program on Saturday so far, four from out of state..

it's going to be fun folks, i hope you can come.

we also have some corporate rates for hotels right on the airport so let us know.

sorry for the late notice,

dp

Wish I could be there. I will get with the folks at the local schools in my area and see if we can get enough interest to get him to come out here, I'm sure there will be with the right advertizing. (brettjeepski you hearing this?)

• Like 1

To All,

I am going to be very busy next week in the Denver area and excited about the opportunity to give back to the industry and work towards accident reduction and pilot education. Both fixed wing and rotary wing ASIs, DPEs, Schools, CFIs and pilots are being included. Safety and continuing education and modernization is for everyone in aviation.

The second Wings program is listed on FAASafety.gov for Sunday and I am also scheduled to present my FIRC Program, "Intro to FITS SBT Methodology" at the FSDO for DPEs & ASIs on August 16th.

Recently, SAFE, NAFI, HAI & AOPA have all had initiatives around training reform and upgrades.

The PTSs have been changed or are about to be revised with changes involving ADM & SRM.

Technology is producing aircraft & avionics with exciting capabilities. Piloting the current and future aircraft will be a challenging career in aviation.

To Gary-Mike and others: I am available to pilot/CFI groups for C&E Seminars or to Schools & CFIs for SBT Facilitator training. Email at mikefranz@embarqmail.com

I look forward to seeing everyone next week in Colorado

Mike

• Like 1

The first Wings program on Thursday is almost full so we have added another one on Sunday. These are both held at the Terminal building at KBJC so everyone can come.. we sincerely hope fixed wing folks will show up as well.

There are already 19 folks signed up for the Sunday program.. here's the link.

http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=39877

We still have some seats avaliable in the C & E Seminar on Saturday at Heli-Ops...

Be a part of the solution!!!

dp

• Like 1

Just signed up for the Thursday seminar. Looking forward to meeting people in the industry!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

When Mike Franz was out last week for his Seminars we sat down in our CFI room for an interview about his mission and giving back to the industry. When you have time go check it out, it takes a few minutes to down load as it’s about 30 minutes long.

I hope you take the time to get to know Mike a little; he really is in ‘the give back mode’.

Aloha,

dp

Link to interview:

http://www.coloradoheliops.com/mike-franz.html

• Like 1