PPL to CFI11 How long ?

Can anybody give me there experiences how long it takes to go from having a ppl h with 90 hours to cfi 11 say flying 5 days a week . I see some schools say from zero to cfi 11 takes 12 to 14 months seems like a long time to me .

Edited by WHIRLYDUDE

There are many variables.

Your schedule (which you addressed)

The schools schedule (they may or may not be able to schedule you once a day or more)

The DPE schedule (when I went through training, there was sometimes a few weeks to over a month wait for a checkride)

Maintenance, unscheduled downtime

How much you study on your own (more self study->less ground->more flights scheduled per week)

Under a year is quite possible. The best timeframe, however, will come from the school that you are doing training with because they will know much more accurately about the different variables.

• Like 1

Took me from nothing to CFII in 9 months. I would plan an average of a year for most people and knock off 3 months for you with a PPL. Find a school that will be flexible and work with you on an accelerated pace with in reason like flying 5 times a week. (your the customer, they should be working for you, not milking you for hours and spacing your training out if your capable of going faster than average)

In my opinion

You are correct, 12 to 14 months for Commercial/Instructor certification is high.

To get the Certified Flight Instructor Instrument (CFII not CF11, not sure if you were attempting to be humorous), you’ll need to achieve Commercial Certification. Commercial Certification requires 100 hours PIC time. Therefore, calculate how much PIC time you need and do the math.

It used to be, a full timer (5 days a week) could bust out CFII certification in approximately 8 to 12 months. However, 90 hours to private certification is high, IF that is the case. Private Certification (used to) be in the 2 to 3 month range averaging 50 hours or so. Again, do the math…….

Edited by Spike

Yes i was being humourous . It did not take me 90 hours to gain my ppl h its just the total hours i have . I have done 3 hours a day flying before 1 and a half hours hours in the morning and 1 and a half in the afternoon 5 days a week when doing my ppl h and it was no problem . So 15 hours a week 60 hours a months with 2 days off at the weekend and a couple of breaks in between i dont see why it cant be accomplished within 6 months .

Thanks for the clarification,

For the most part, three-hours-a-day flight training is excessive. The learning plateau occurs at approximately 1.2 hours. The standard is usually 1 lesson per-day. If you think you can handle the 3 hours then knock yourself out. However, experience has shown an aggressive training schedule such as this commonly leads to a one-step-forward, two-steps-back, scenario……… Then again, you’re the customer. If ya got the cash to burn, there are plenty of flight schools willing to help you out……

From a random person behind the veil of the internet..... there is no reason you cannot do it in 5 months.

There you go, it's that simple.

Then, figure as an instructor, you will fly at least 5 hours a day... 6 days a week, so that's 100 a month. In 8 months you will have your 1000, and after a two week break, you will have your turbine job.

So, under 14 months from today, you will be there.

From a random person behind the veil of the internet..... there is no reason you cannot do it in 5 months.

There you go, it's that simple.

Then, figure as an instructor, you will fly at least 5 hours a day... 6 days a week, so that's 100 a month. In 8 months you will have your 1000, and after a two week break, you will have your turbine job.

So, under 14 months from today, you will be there.

Ahh Sarcasm .The post above was asking peoples experiences were and how long it took them to complete the full course Your post is slightly off topic and not very helpfull i dont know why .

Edited by WHIRLYDUDE

For the most part, three-hours-a-day flight training is excessive. The learning plateau occurs at approximately 1.2 hours. The standard is usually 1 lesson per-day. If you think you can handle the 3 hours then knock yourself out. However, experience has shown an aggressive training schedule such as this commonly leads to a one-step-forward, two-steps-back, scenario………

The JAA students at Bristow do 2 flights per day working out to about 3 hours of flight time every second day with ground school every other day and it works out pretty well. I don't think think two 1.5 hour flights in the day with a break in between is too excessive for most.

It usually takes from about 10 to 14 months on average for most people I have seen go through the training.

1000 is the number. Companies send out the job offer at 995 just so they can get to you first. I'm still waiting for mine, 600hrs later.

=)

You might want to check and make sure you put your phone number and address on your resume. That might be why. There can really be no other explanation.

I made that mistake, but there are only a few dozen people with my name so it only took a few hours for the operator to work their way through the white pages until they found me to beg me to fly for them.

• Like 1

The JAA students at Bristow do 2 flights per day working out to about 3 hours of flight time every second day with ground school every other day and it works out pretty well. I don't think think two 1.5 hour flights in the day with a break in between is too excessive for most.

It usually takes from about 10 to 14 months on average for most people I have seen go through the training.

If I read it correctly, kinda sounds like semantics…. 3 hours one day and no flight the next….. Besides, the Bristow kids I saw couldn’t handle 3.0 hours a day. Then again, these kids had never even driven a car let alone fly helicopter on instruments. Shoot, being able to walk down John Glenn Drive to get a taco was a mind-blowing experience for them…… Not everyone is in the same learning environment…. If you can handle 3 do 3. If you can handle 6, do 6……… I like to cruise, constant pressure evenly applied over time and that would be 1 per-day.

Not to kick the dead horse regarding flight instruction, but I guess things have definitely changed over the years.

If we do the math; Post Private with say 20hours PIC; 5 days a week with 1.5 hour lessons per-day puts us at about 30 hours a month. With 80 hours to go, the target Grad time is less than 3 months……

CFII Certification for a production school, anything over a year is suspect…… Meaning, the longer you stay, the more you pay…..

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check and make sure you put your phone number and address on your resume. That might be why. There can really be no other explanation.

I made that mistake, but there are only a few dozen people with my name so it only took a few hours for the operator to work their way through the white pages until they found me to beg me to fly for them.

Ha! Had to sign in just so I could like this! :lol:

• Like 1