Army Warrant Officer Helicopter Pilot

Ok, just to clear this up as I have asked several people and even emailed a higher up in the Army (haven't heard anything back yet) asking this question. Can someone receive a guaranteed flight contract to become a WO helicopter pilot in the Army? I have heard yes and no. I have heard from active WO's that you have to enlist and then put in the package from within. I just want a definite answer because I talked with a WO the other day that said if you're an active CFI you'd almost be a shoe in. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

I looked into it and what I found out is yes you can as a civilian although but I haven't been through the process because I decided I did enough time under uncle Sam. So I was going to let someone more knowledgable answer that part but now that I take the time to read your screen name I can see I should have kept my mouth shut on the matter as I'm sure you know it as well as I do.

Yes, you can get a guaranteed WO contract with the U.S. Army. But only if you meet all the criteria (Physical, Aptitude tests, PT score, etc...) and your packet gets selected. Even then, if you fail out of flight school, you can get booted. The Army is the only branch that has a contractual obligation that you do the job you signed up for. If they do not honor this contract, you can petition for discharge (I knew someone who did this, but the guy spent 4 years in the Army and had not spent a day doing the job he signed up for). They are streamlining the process to produce pilots but also being a lot more selective about it than they used to be. Get ready for a new aptitude test as well.

Go talk to a recruiter. If they try and tell you that you need to enlist first, call BS and tell them they will never see you again unless they help you put together a civilian WOC packet. Keep in mind that getting a C WOC packet together is no guarantee that you will be selected. They do prefer selecting from active Army personell, but you're prior service in The Suck should give you an edge over the high-school to flight-school types.

Perfect, thanks gents. I haven't seen the military section, I'll have to check it out. There's a CFI at my school who spoke with the recruiters in Denver and they didn't help at all. He said he knew more about it than they did. He is prior service as well and they treated him like he was the problem, for trying to put a package in. They also used the wrong test key to grade his AFAST. I figured this would be a better place to ask for help.

Go for it. Get selected, pass everything, and you WILL be an Army Aviator flying some of the best helicopters in the world. You might not select exactly what you want for an airframe, but you will grow to love it.

^The worst day flying is better than the best day doing anything else! :D

Flying a crap airframe in the Army (dont know what a crap airframe would be, just an example) is still bigger and better than most civilian pilots ever get to touch!

Sometimes in LE aviation it can be funny, because the guys in agencies who are flying the Hueys are usually the top senior pilots or Chief Pilots. I was talking with a local Army Guard pilot about how that works, and his response was, "So thats what the senior guys get to fly huh? Thats what I started in." :D

He is also the same Army Pilot who got selected to fly CH47s and was mad because he wanted UH60s. Awwwwwwe, poooooor baby :P

Edited by Flying Pig

• 4 years later...

I know this question is completely out of topic, I'm new here sorry, but I do have a question. I am currently in the application process for the Army's WOFT program and am in the process of getting my letters of recommendations together. The only letter that I would have an issue with is the CW3-CW5 letter. Is there any way to get in contact with some warrant officers to ask them for an interview and a possible letter of recommendation considering I've never been in the military. Did anybody else encounter this issue? If so, how did you overcome it and get in contact with any Army CW3-CW5. Any feedback would be great!!-Kenny