What's up with all the medevac vacancies? I noticed that AEL just posted a buttload. Of course they don't seem to be the only ones.

What's causing it and will HEMS ever catch up?

Didn't seem to be that way 4 or 5 years ago.

Any thoughts?

PS....I'm tired of the "Fudging the Logbook" strand. That horse is DEAD!

Five0

• Like 1

I have noticed a lot of listings for ENG lately too, and fire. Fire I imagine is due to the season and the amount of fires this year. ENG and EMS? Maybe it is like has been said here many times, "there is a pilot shortage"... (an experienced pilot shortage). Maybe the tour pilots are having too much fun and don't want to be on constant standby?

• 1 month later...

IMO its due to a number of factors, some of which may be.....

1. Overseas contracts paying much more $$$

2. Pay for pilots not realistic, in other words, very low

3. Undesireable work locations

4. Low pay

I apologize for the partially sarcastic response, I'm sure there are countless reasons, but I definitely see a trend. If operators would bump the pay up to a reasonable level to entice the pilots to work in the undesirable locations I don't think there would be as many openings.

Edited by ctimrun
  • Like 3

EMS is pretty awesome in regards to the flying and the mission. Landing on the shoulder of a road on a dirt turn out is waaaaay fun! Washing blood out of the helicopter, getting Hep A,B and C shots and hearing people crying isnt all that fun though...... Although I dont fly EMS, flying SAR and doing short medivacs to an awaiting EMS helicopter is pretty common. The mission is attractive, but I dont know anything about the daily life, pay or bennies.

I think EMG would be pretty intesting though. Probably about as close to flying an LE type environment as you can get. You get to go to all the hot calls, fly pursuits, foot chases, get the adrenaline of responding to in progress incidents. Im finding Im more interested in what type of aircraft I can fly. If something can get me into a S-76 or an S-92 Ill fly chickens to Haiti and back all day long!

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMO its due to a number of factors, some of which may be.....

1. Overseas contracts paying much more $$$

2. Pay for pilots not realistic, in other words, very low

3. Undesireable work locations

4. Low pay

I apologize for the partially sarcastic response, I'm sure there are countless reasons, but I definitely see a trend. If operators would bump the pay up to a reasonable level to entice the pilots to work in the undesirable locations I don't think there would be as many openings.

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some of what's been said is exaggerated.

1. Pay, while the appearance seems low, is far better than a CFI or a fixed-wing commuter guy and comparable to ENG or LE. It's actually not bad considering we work only 6 mths per year. Also overtime is abundant. I could easily add 15-20 grand onto my annual pay if I wanted to.

2. Location. That's the primary reason why I chose this job. If there is a particular place in the country you want to live, then you can bet an EMS operator is there. No other flying job offers that flexibility of choosing a geographical location.

With the connections/experience I have I could've gone almost anywhere in the helicopter field. From flying S-92s in the gulf to flying contract overseas. I chose EMS for:

1. Mission. Nothing like landing on a unimproved LZs in the middle of the night. The challenges are like those in the military, only no one is shooting at me now. Also no flight plans to file and no long FSS wx briefs. Phone rings and you fly.

2. Single pilot. Done mulit-engine dual piloted stuff long enough. More satisfying knowing I'm in charge of everything up front...more challenging as well.

3. Location. As I said, you can get on JSFIRM and find somewhere you want to live and go there. I was offered 7 places including an IFR EC-135 one. I chose to live near family.

4. 7 on 7 off. It's like having a vacation every other week!

5. Job satisfaction. I've flown people 30 mins to the hospital over mountains, where it would have taken over 2 hrs for an ambulance, Occassionally we get letters from those saved thanking us. ..although once they get the bill they might take it back! :D

We all have our reasons for choosing what segment of flying to go into. Everyone wants to believe they have the perfect flying job and the best aircraft around. In reality there is no perfect job but for me personally this one is most aligned with my goals.

Why so many openings? Just not enough qualified pilots. The woman who hired me said she gets the complaint all the time about the high hour requirements of EMS. With the historically poor accident record of EMS, for insurance purposes they have to hire high time people. I got hired with almost 3,900 hrs and I'm the most junior hour time pilot at my base. It's not the job for new pilots looking to get experience. It's for old dudes who already have experience who don't care about hour building. At 150 hrs per year I'm won't be setting any hour records, but at this point in my life I don't care about building hours.

• Like 4

Some of what's been said is exaggerated.

1. Pay, while the appearance seems low, is far better than a CFI or a fixed-wing commuter guy and comparable to ENG or LE. It's actually not bad considering we work only 6 mths per year. Also overtime is abundant. I could easily add 15-20 grand onto my annual pay if I wanted to.

2. Location. That's the primary reason why I chose this job. If there is a particular place in the country you want to live, then you can bet an EMS operator is there. No other flying job offers that flexibility of choosing a geographical location.

With the connections/experience I have I could've gone almost anywhere in the helicopter field. From flying S-92s in the gulf to flying contract overseas. I chose EMS for:

1. Mission. Nothing like landing on a unimproved LZs in the middle of the night. The challenges are like those in the military, only no one is shooting at me now. Also no flight plans to file and no long FSS wx briefs. Phone rings and you fly.

2. Single pilot. Done mulit-engine dual piloted stuff long enough. More satisfying knowing I'm in charge of everything up front...more challenging as well.

3. Location. As I said, you can get on JSFIRM and find somewhere you want to live and go there. I was offered 7 places including an IFR EC-135 one. I chose to live near family.

4. 7 on 7 off. It's like having a vacation every other week!

5. Job satisfaction. I've flown people 30 mins to the hospital over mountains, where it would have taken over 2 hrs for an ambulance, Occassionally we get letters from those saved thanking us. ..although once they get the bill they might take it back! :D

We all have our reasons for choosing what segment of flying to go into. Everyone whats to believe they have the perfect flying job and the best aircraft around. In reality there is no perfect job but for me personally this one is most aligned with my goals.

Why so many openings? Just not enough qualified pilots. The women who hired me said she gets the complaint all the time about the high hour requirements of EMS. With the historically poor accident record of EMS, for insurance purposes they have to hire high time people. I got hired with almost 3,900 hrs and I'm the most junior hour time pilot at my base. It's not the job for new pilots looking to get experience. It's for old dudes who already have experience who don't care about hour building. At 150 hrs per year I'm won't be setting any hour records, but at this point in my life I don't care about building hours.

This was all great advice, thank you!

• 1 year later...

I am curious as to the possibility or prospects of hiring the right foreign pilots to help fill some of these many vacant positions?

I am a Canadian pilot with an FAA ATP licence, 13,000 hours, 6 years experience HEMS in Canada and would welcome an opportunity in the USA.

You need more experience. I'd suggest doing tours for a few years first. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in communication with the lead pilot at one of AEL,s bases and he indicated to me that AEL wont sponsor an experienced pilot for a visa from Canada because there are lots available in the USA.

Your shortage of experienced pilots should be a thing of the past very soon. I hope employers there have a good handle on the situation and enough foresight toward finding resolution. It takes some time to get experienced help on board.

Take a look at the thread-

1. Vertical Reference Helicopter Forums
  2. Military Rotorcraft Forum
  3. General Military Helicopter Discussions
  4. Kiowa Divestment MILPER

If the "divested MILPERs" (that's even colder than being declared redundant or just layed off) decide to continue to fly professionally, there is going to be some stiff competition for vacancies.

Take a look at the thread-

If the "divested MILPERs" (that's even colder than being declared redundant or just layed off) decide to continue to fly professionally, there is going to be some stiff competition for vacancies.

Yeah I was just thinking about that today. We're gonna have a bunch of people in the 58 community competing for jobs soon. 2,000 TT and single engine 58s all their lives and I'd say they'll be pretty competitive for the EMS SE VFR slots.

Only if they have the much sought after 206 NVG qual. They're guaranteed a job in EMS then.

And the 2000 hours of experience in the various regimes..,