Ag Applicatorsamd pilots. what are you flying?

short and sweet: if you are spraying or fertalizing, what bird are you flying and why did you choose it? if your not the operator, what helicopter do you think does the best job for the money and time spent? thanks again

300. Both spray and bucket work...small,cheap to operate..effective...I've consiDered getting a 47 or enstrom..concerns with both 4 me...but I know guys that operate both an works 4them...no r44 here..1 guy in town sprays with one but after a few years now I think they may dump it and go back to the enstrom...sure turbines...lots of pilot types love those..just costs more

I have sprayed in a 44, worked fine on low volume work on the cranberry bogs (50 to 75 gallon loads). Did a lot of external load with it too. 300 might be ok but have fun getting parts for them now. The last company I was with had to rent a 44 recently because they couldn't get a part for their 300 for pipeline work. 44's are dime a dozen and low maintenance.

So it seems that a 206/OH-58 is a favorite. the thing ive never been able to find is the operating costs of a 206 would be. another question is what is the "normal" altitude spraying occures at. would a 206 handle 4000 to 7000 MSL spraying? i would imagine this would be a BIII modle anyway for that altitude

now we have shifted gears...

operating cost of a 206... depends on how many hours you fly a year as the insurance is always a huge factor... that aside, I would put hourly costs of a 206 around $500..could be more or less depending on who does the maintenance and how many hours are remaining on the components.. It seems most 206 operators are trying to get at least $850/hr these days.

Normal altitude for spraying.... 10 feet agl...

normal elevation of crops to spray.. 10 msl to 10000 msl depending on area of the country and type of crop or forest product to be sprayed. Once you get above 4000 you are in a high altitude area that would need something like a 206 to be able to carry anything. So yes, the 206 would work 4000 to 7000. B2 or b3 won't matter much... not that different but sure...

OH-58's are a little better at altitude.

What are the differences between the B2 and B3? now that wew have gon compleatly off track :P just trying to get a grasp on what would be the best ship to get into

206b3 has a more powerful C20B engine (or later C20J) vs the B2's C20 engine and the B3 has 2 inch larger diameter tail rotor for more authority.

Like many upgraded models thru the years the latest and greatest is always nice but not necessarily much better for for day to day operations as the later and newer stuff costs a lot more while providing little more in productivity so those are usually the last ships to make it into utility or ag work.