Robinson Safety Course Dec10-14

Currently at the safety course, just completed the first day. Looks like it'll be an interesting few days! Heard flying at sea level is different, and the low rotor rpm horn is constantly on out here.

Anyone else here at the course this week? Looking to grab a few dinners and hear about the industry, current work, interesting stories etc.

Thanks!

Right, we havent flown yet. I had a few friends who went recently and they mentioned they heard the horn/light more often than they wanted to. I think we have just been conditioned to take immidiate corrective action when flying at higher altitudes. Here at sea level you may have more time to respond to low rotor rpm recognition & recover? A few guys said its like flying in jello out here.

A few more days and I think I'll have my answer. Should be a blast, thanks!

You only have a short period to fly, so naturally most of the time will be spent on autos, low RPM recovery, energy management, and other maneuvers where RRPM < 97%.

I guess if you've never done max-glide, or minimum-rate of descent, you might think the horn is on "a lot"?,...but with those maneuvers you should be expecting it to come on!? Thus it shouldn't surprise, or bother you?

lol they don't just keep the horn on. It's during the autos, keep in mind your green and yellow rotor tach arcs are 90% - 110% and you can operate in that area if you know what you're doing.

If you're doing extended glide autos or minimum rate of descent autos, they both require 90% Rotor RPM, so trust me the horn will be on!

• Like 1

If you're doing extended glide autos or minimum rate of descent autos, they both require 90% Rotor RPM, so trust me the horn will be on!

Trust me, autos, 90%, that's what I said! Yes the horn will be on any tme below 97%, everyone knows that, but the instructors don't just "Keep the horn on" as someone else stated!

Edited by DieselBoy
  • Like 1

When I attended, we did the same thing. The instructor wanted me to understand that the horn doesn't mean that we're going to fall out of the sky. We did a lot of work focusing on low RPM recognition and recovery. I did mine in the R22, BTW. Not sure, but probably not as focused on the low RPM issue with the R44.