Fun visitor to SZP today!

I think we forget sometimes...or maybe we don't even know...just how fast a CH-47 can be. When they want to, them babies can haul ass!

Nice video ;)

I think it is. Don't they do like 200kts? Or is that the civ model? Either way. It's fast. Fastest I've been was about 185 indicated in a CH-53E trying to get the F out of the area after takeoff for a casevac pickup taking small arms fire. I think we'd have gone faster, but when I told the pilots(as a crew cheif) we were near our momentary peak T5 range and pulling a boat load of torque, we slowed down.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is. Don't they do like 200kts? Or is that the civ model? Either way. It's fast. Fastest I've been was about 185 indicated in a CH-53E trying to get the F out of the area after takeoff for a casevac pickup taking small arms fire. I think we'd have gone faster, but when I told the pilots(as a crew cheif) we were near our momentary peak T5 range and pulling a boat load of torque, we slowed down.

They're fastest in the Army but no where near 200 kts. I'd say they could get about 165 KIAS in level flight. I once chased one in a Hawk in Kosovo. I was pulling 100 % TRQ with tanks and all I could get was about 140-145 KIAS out of it. I was cutting corners and the 47 was still pulling away from me. We had some older Chinooks in my previous unit and they were TRQ limited. Sometimes in Afghanistan they could only give ya about 110 KIAS. New F models apparently aren't restricted.