ROTC still and option after 26

I know this is not WOFT related, but I thought this would be helpful for anyone that might be interested in a commission as an Army Officer and did not know that ROTC is an option after 26.

I recently contacted the Department of Military Science at a University in my area and found out at age 29, with a bachelors degree, I could still attend ROTC for my Masters, get a commission, and serve active. It came as a huge surprise to me and I have to say I'm excited to get started.

I took their PT test for entry, pasted all except the run. I got 1.5 miles in 13 mins before I couldn't run any more. Not good I know, but it's progress. It's also not a huge deal that I did not pass the run right then because it is to late for me to start classes for the spring semester. Basically, I have 4 months to get my run time straight. From there, I'll have to attend LTC (Leadership Training Course) for 4 wks in either June or July. Upon completion, I was informed that a scholarship will be offered based on my performance during LTC. After that, I return home and start attending classes like a normal student, plus ROTC events, meetings, and PT three times a week.

So far that is all the information I have at the moment. I will post what ever additional information I find out throughout the process of getting enrolled.

Jay

I'm not really looking for a scholarship to be truthful. I got a small scholarship, due to my grades, from the University. My real interest is getting the degree and a commission at the same time. I'll be okay with student loans for the rest of the tuition I think.

On a side note, I heard LTC is tough. Looking forward to it though. I'm excited about the whole thing really. Can't wait until June/July lol.

How old were your friends? I'm asking because I was wondering how often someone has gone through the program at my age.

21-23 years old.

I don't think they care how old you are. I wouldn't worry about LTC it's only like 30 days if I remember correctly, and it's for college kids. My university's ROTC is pretty well funded and takes it seriously. The neighboring university twice our size didn't do much except sit around and do powerpoints. I think that factored in to them getting what they wanted, our school was a top 10% rotc program. Things that will get you branch of choice are: performance at LDAC, GPA, and PT score.

Yeah, 30 days is what the Lt. I talked to told me as well. According to what he said they are ranked in the top 10% too and that LTC was like basic on steroids. Is LDAC the course you go through after your final semester before you graduate with a degree (senior year does sound like it would fit for me lol)? The branch I'm hoping to get is MP.

My worry with this situation is that you aren't *guaranteed* a Commission until the end, right? The only reason that worries me is because you are already at the upper age limit for OCS. Let's say ROTC doesn't work out for some reason (not offered a Commission, injury, etc). Now you're too old for OCS and nearing the age limit for WOFT and, who knows, that age limit could go down between now and then. I'm not saying this is a bad decision, but it's an important thing to consider too.

Either way, good luck! We're all counting on you. ;)

EDIT:

The branch I'm hoping to get is MP.

Oh, not AV?

Although ROTC is great for getting your college paid for, are you prepared to take whatever job they assign you afterwards? Class standing helps but there's no guarantee that you get what you want. I know of a West Pointer who wanted aviation but wasn't high enough in his class to get it. Only so many aviation slots per year. The thing about WOFT is it's guaranteed. Pending anything stupid you do in flight school, you're gonna get your wings. I think the best way into the cockpit out of ROTC is to attend UND. Army has a flight program there. Had plenty of students who had a jump because of the B206 time.

They discontinued the UND program last year, I believe.

I'm really not sure what the cost benefit of it was. Don't think we really saved much money or training time with UND people. What's sad is they went to UND thinking they're going to become pilots and when they show up to their unit they get assigned some crap staff position. My first Plt Ldr was ROTC and he didn't even know WOs flew in the Army. It's a rude awakening for some LTs who think they're going to do a bunch of flying then they find themselves as D Co XO doing paperwork.

Yeah, I don't think ArmyOCS.com really likes to hear about anything outside of the OCS program, so I didn't post on there.

From what I was told I have to pick 5 jobs/branches. My performance dictates whether or not I get my 1st choice or my last. At least that is my understanding anyway. I would think that you are guaranteed a commission. I can't see why they would accept you in the program, spending a lot of time and resources, and then not offer a commission. Then again, I could be wrong and it's definitely going to be a question I ask when I talk to them again this week.

As for AV, it's one of the many options that I am interested in. MP and AV are at the top of my list of interests, but I wouldn't mind intelligence or Infantry as well. The two I would not like to get stuck with is quarter master or transportation. No offence intended for anyone with those jobs mind you. Just not interested in them.

At this point, I'm still in the information gathering part. It's the main reason I posted this. I wanted to hear as many opinions/fact/ and past experiences about ROTC without the sugar coating on GoArmy.com. I'm still pretty excited about it though. It's 1 of 3 options I have now that I know I could go OCS if I wanted. I still have my WOFT packet ready to go too. I just need to boost that run.