Apache Helicopter: Congress Asks Army Why It's Accepting Unfinished AH-64Es

FALSE

Apache guys can't fly IFR lol. Just watch that crew coordination video from Ft Riley of that 64 SP almost crashing when he went into the clouds.

It would give them a safety net if they ever punched in though, having been through IIMC not in a training environment it was some scary sh*t, i dont wish that on anyone

• Like 1

There is discussion of up to 4 ARNG/USAR 64D units being redesignated to another A/C type and having their aircraft redistributed within the fleet. Some units have been notified-others have not.

That would really suck for them. My buddy from flight schools is MO NG, they are a block III D unit, I think they have one foot out the door to afg. I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy to hear this.

There is discussion of up to 4 ARNG/USAR 64D units being redesignated to another A/C type and having their aircraft redistributed within the fleet. Some units have been notified-others have not.

As far as I know, The USAR only has 2 ARB that fly the 64s. One in TX the other in KY. A buddy on mine said that all USAR units are being re-equipped to support homeland security missions ( 60s & 47s) around 2016-2018

Anyone know who is getting what?

FALSE

Apache guys can't fly IFR lol. Just watch that crew coordination video from Ft Riley of that 64 SP almost crashing when he went into the clouds.

It would give them a safety net if they ever punched in though, having been through IIMC not in a training environment it was some scary sh*t, i dont wish that on anyone

I think those guys were field grades : ) We have gotten a lot better.

• Like 2

I spent half an hour talking to the Boeing program manager for the 64E just lat friday at Quad A. I specifically asked him about the transmissions. He said that the design concept is something that has been around since the Romans but to make it compact and strong enough for the Apache requires a very difficult grinding process to make the gears. So the problem is just the rate that the subcontractor is making the transmissions. Not quality.

Also these apaches are fully IFR capable. The only unit to get them so far is the one at Ft Lewis. They started to field them at Riley some time ago and then took those away and gave them to Ft Lewis. Somewhere else is starting to get them now and it sure isn't 1st Cav! After the active duty units are supplied then the NG will get some.

• 2 weeks later...

So the problem is just the rate that the subcontractor is making the transmissions. Not quality.

Youre right. also according to this article, the Army is doing flight tests on the the Boeing-built Apache, accepting them for service and then grounding them to strip out the transmission -- a part whose production has fallen behind other components -- to install on the next helicopters coming off the assembly line.