RC Helicopters

So I thought I'd take a break from the seriousness and details of WOFT applications, WOCS and the life at Rucker, to instead see if anyone here has flown or does fly RC helicopters? I tried one of the mini ones out yesterday and was having a blast. Considering you can get a decent starter one for like $30-40, it's a pretty decent toy for grown ups.

Anyone have one? Or have an opinion? This is of course with the realization that its probably nothing like the real thing, but it's still fun and related to a passion we all have. Plus it's the best I've got for now.... Until I get to play at Rucker.

I think they are a blast! I fly the mini's because I have way too many hobbies to buy an expensive helicopter. My girlfriend's mom bought me one without a tail rotor for Christmas. I liked it so much I immediately went and bought one with the horizontal tail rotor to push it forward. Although it's nothing like a real helicopter it can't hurt to work on hand/eye coordination!

I played with RC helicopters for awhile and it was fun but not worth the money. After I mastered the coaxial one I bought a collective pitch one. What a nightmare. It did actually help me undertsand some helicopter concepts but I would lose reference and not be able to tell which way it was pointing and the result was CFIT. I repaired that thing so many times. Which its self was useful because it gave me a good understanding of pitch links and how a swash plate works etc. since they're similar but scaled down. If you want some RC fun though get a cheap styrofoam 4 channel fixed wing to learn how to fly and build a nicer one while you learn. It's incredibly rewarding when you fly a beautiful machine you spent six months building from scratch. Hmm now I understand those helicycle guys...

Edited by Fred0311

Although it's nothing like a real helicopter it can't hurt to work on hand/eye coordination!

In my experience as an instructor, the students who have a lot of experience with RC helicopters tend to do well in the early stages of training for the sole fact that they understand helicopters require small, smooth, and gentle inputs. That's the hardest concept to grasp for most everyone.

they understand helicopters require small, smooth, and gentle inputs. That's the hardest concept to grasp for most everyone.

That's how I feel when trying to teach someone to ride a motorcycle. The smallest input can have the biggest effect. Throttle control is paramount and sadly overlooked.

There is a guy down at Rucker who has some awesome scale RC helicopters. I'd go to the little field by the simulator buildings to fly with a small group of people in the evenings. Lots of helicopters and park flyers, had a blast. I think they developed that field into some apartments or something...

I fly a 4 channel rc helicopter. It's a double horse 9116. Under $100 and cheap to fix. It's pretty sweet and fun to fly. I had a little styrofoam one but I wanted to be able to fly it outside. It's a lot of fun on a nice day and the kids at the park always seem to enjoy watching it fly.

Edited by 01CelicaGTS

If you already do it...good, if you are in flight school considering it...good luck! This hobby is not cheap, check for yourself what a good heli will run (radio, servos, engine, kit, flight box, receiver fuel @ $30 a gallon etc.)

There is a guy down at Rucker who has some awesome scale RC helicopters. I'd go to the little field by the simulator buildings to fly with a small group of people in the evenings. Lots of helicopters and park flyers, had a blast. I think they developed that field into some apartments or something...

One of the BWS IPs down there right now is really into all things RC. He likes to design and build his own airplanes with each new one being bigger than the last. Probably not the same guy though because I think you had graduated before he went down there.

I've seen a bunch of RC helicopters operating out of HEY. At least I think they're RC...Smaller than normal for sure. <3