R66 School in Northeast

Do you know of a school in the North East that use the R66 and their names?

And are there any specific requirements to instruct in the R66? I have 22,44 instructor sign off and plenty of hours in the 44, but none in 66. I did the safety course a few years back and is there a specific course for the 66? i am being told different things.

Yes there is and no there isnt! Lol. I went in June is year. For the first day R66 guys where with the main class. Then days two, three, and four they had a separate turbine transition type training and of course R66 test fights.

One prerequisite to do R66 was to be an owner or an instructor that already completed the basic safety course. I took note, because our school is rumored to be getting one this fall, and I want to teach in it also.

One of the requirements of the VA GI bill program is turbine transition. So all the schools with an operating GI bill degree program either have a turbine, or have access to one for their students. With the coming of the R66, schools teaching with Robinson model helicopters have an advantage when transitioning students in a platform they are already familiar with flying.

One of the requirements of the VA GI bill program is turbine transition. So all the schools with an operating GI bill degree program either have a turbine, or have access to one for their students. With the coming of the R66, schools teaching with Robinson model helicopters have an advantage when transitioning students in a platform they are already familiar with flying.

Why on Earth would the VA require a turbine transition course? Its absolutely useless! Hasn't the VA done any research into the entry level job market they are funding training for?

I have no Idea on why. Our school was ready to go with a college partnered up to have a degree program. The VA took over two years to approve it because the campus closest to us wasn't on their approved list. Same school, different campus location.

Why do they do alot of things regarding flight programs? For those who served, its a great opportunity that has before been hard to get. The turbine transition is in my opinion valuable regardless of entry jobs or not. Education and experience are the pavement to our success.

They pay for it because schools have convinced the VA that spending $10k so a student can hear the tick of an ignitor is valuable training. The cost vs the education isnt worth it. more than likely by the time you ever see a turbine helicopter as a job you will have long since forgotten the ins and outs and your employeer will put you through a course anyway.

I have over 1100hrs turbine and guess what? My new employer put me through the CTS computer course for the aircraft, I had to do 5 hrs with an instructor and still have a check ride in a week and for the first 4 weeks had to fly with another pilot in the left seat for familiarization.

The turbine portions of the GI Bill are a scam.

Edited by Flying Pig

Well we aren't va. I'm just being told I can't fly it until I have the course at the factory. But the factory is booked up so I was wondering if I found a school close by I could get a transition and be ready to go on insurance.

My power of Google has failed me so I ask again. What are some schools in NY, nj, ct?

Edited by supergokougt

by the time you ever see a turbine helicopter as a job you will have long since forgotten the ins and outs and your employeer will put you through a course anyway.

I don't even bother putting my 10 hours of turbine on my resume anymore! That's right, I'm one of the idiots dumb enough to pay for a transition! :lol: :wacko:

OP, if you insist on buying R66 time, try calling Robinson, they should know what schools are using their product?

........ being told I can't fly it until I have the course at the factory.

Doesn't that mean you have to go to the factory course, not just any school that happens to have a R-66 and doing "turbine training"?

If it is factory or other approved training course, then that opens the door to some other approved training companies. But just not any school with a R-66 sitting on the ramp.

But then again..........what do I know? Maybe Frank let's anybody who buy's his aircraft operate as a "factory training course."

But then again..........what do I know?

Do you know or do you just think that is the process? This is the first time for a lot of people dealing with this kind of situation.

I went to the safety course and flew the 22 but got a job flying 44's. I get the small difference here, but I also don't see the same regulations.

And thank you HeliPTK for answering one of the basic questions of the post I appreciate it!

• Like 1

Do you know or do you just think that is the process? This is the first time for a lot of people dealing with this kind of situation.

OK, my post was made tongue-n-cheek, because I though you had answered your own question, "where is the factory training course?" Kind of like, "who is buried in Grants tomb?"

When I went back and re-read your post, I see that you are not really sure what you are asking or what you need. Your first post you are just simply looking for a school that has a R-66 that will give you a check-out. Your second post, the one I quoted, then referenced, "factory school." So you can see my confusion....

So, here is my .02 cents based on many years in this industry:

Factory Course is training provided by the manufacture at either the manufacturing facility or other training facility owned and operated by the manufacturing company. Bell Helicopter Training Academy is owned and operated by Bell Helicopter at Alliance Airport north of FT Worth, TX. The aircraft are owned by Bell and the employees work for Bell Helicopter. All the materials and training devises and the aircraft are owned by Bell Helicopter.

Factory Approved Training courses are courses the manufacturer, in conjunction with a private training company, provide to a pilot. The course syllabus, training materials and all other instruction is approved by the manufacturer. For example, Flight Safety International does all the initial and refresher training for Bell Helicopter for the B-430 and the B-222. Flight Safety does all the initial and refresher training for Sikorsky in the S-76 and the S-92. All the facilities, simulators other training aids are owned by Flight Safety and the employees are paid by Flight Safety not the aircraft manufacturer. However, everything they teach is approved by the aircraft manufacturer.

Insurance Approved initial and refresher training may be completed by other third party training vendors. Lunsford Consulting and Helicopter Safety Training are two examples of companies that are Insurance Approved training companies. Most of these companies, however, require that the training be conducted in the clients aircraft at the client location. What these companies offer are very experienced instructors at a fraction of the price of Factory or Factory Approved Training Centers.

So, how does all of this relate to you and the R-66? In this case you are correct, I don't have a clue since the Robinson has its very on SFAR and I have never set foot in one.

However, I suggest you clarify with your boss what exactly you need in order to instruct in the R-66 before you go anywhere and drop a load of money on training that may or may not allow you to instruct in the aircraft.

Big Blue Aviation LLC in the Cincinnati/Covington, OH area offers transition training in the 66 at a VERY reasonable price. I guarantee you wont find one any cheaper. It would be worth the drive for you. I think he even offers a place to stay for the weekend and a car to drive. I flew with him this past Saturday. The 66 is a nice machine and is not much different than a 44 except the start up (which is a breeze) and slightly larger. Like any turbine it just takes getting used the power recovery being a bit slower than what you are used to in the 44. Max performance T/O's are impressive. Not sure if this helps you but he offers time in the 66 for less than some 44's are going for.

bigblueaviation@gmail.com

www.bigblueaviation.com

I didn't see anything in SFAR 73 about the R66, so I guess that means it doesn't require an endorsement to be PIC, or to teach, like with the 22 and 44? I would imagine (from my experience with the 206) that all it would take is a ground lesson and an hour or two in the air to be decent in it?

Doesn't that mean you have to go to the factory course, not just any school that happens to have a R-66 and doing "turbine training"?

If it is factory or other approved training course, then that opens the door to some other approved training companies. But just not any school with a R-66 sitting on the ramp.

But then again..........what do I know? Maybe Frank let's anybody who buy's his aircraft operate as a "factory training course."

I thought this was a pretty relevant comment. You responded to my post saying you needed a "factory course" and it was pointed out that there is and difference between just a school with a 66 and going to the factory. So you asked for two completely different things.

But Im sure Acme Aviation will be sure to point out the difference after they cash your check and you realized you went to the wrong course.

What you need to do is see what the owners insurance requires first and foremost. So if something happens hes not left out to dry because he had a CFI who went to the wrong class.