building turbine time in experimental??

richeh123

Finally got to fly my Mosquito XET...I've been working out of the country since I bought it...

First flight impressions:

I flew the bird yesterday. Start-up seemed to go OK and she flew perfectly. I used the start-cart on it. I was told it flies like a 300...which seems about right. The two-stage lift off feels much different than the 300…more like a 22. Once in the air, it’s more like my Hughes 269 (basically an old version of the Schweitzer 300 with shorter rotor blades).

It feels a little tippy on the ground, I guess due to the short mast height…but I would not want it any other way. I love not having to have a ladder then stand precariously on the strut to pre-flight the rotor-head on my Hughes.

I looked at my first flight video clips (slightly aft-low), and also felt I was slightly out of the sweet spot during hover, I’ll re-install some front ballast…in 2-pound increments. It had 25 when I bought it, and I flew it without ballast.

Like I say…it seems like it needs a tad of forward ballast. I’m 205 and 6 foot. I had just enough headroom for my Lynx trike helmet (minus face shield).

It was windy and it doesn’t like a left crosswind much…just takes a little more input than a heavier machine. But overall, I like the light feel of it, being a long time flier of light aircraft…Hang gliders, Paragliders, Trikes, Gyros and various other type ultralights.

The only thing that I didn’t like was the windshield visual distortion. It was wavy looking, but other than that I really like it.

I had a CGS Hawk back in the 80’s with a steep angle in the windscreen that was that way too. I eventually modified the nose and used a steeper angled windscreen that created less visual distortion. But I’m sure I’ll leave this one… as-is. The looks and lines are fabulous.

I think I’ll really have fun with it. I have a philosophy...if I don’t LOVE it…I get rid of it. Been looking for the perfect ride for 40 years and don’t miss any of my nearly 50 aircraft I’ve bought, flown, and ultimately sold during those years. Some pilots call it “buying your last aircraft”. Some people misconstrue this to mean…the one you eventually die in…but it’s actually the one you retire with. This has all the makings of being my last aircraft ;-)

Sounds great. Glad you are happy with your purchase. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one.

I bet when their Swift comes out there will be some folks upgrading...and some good Mosquitos will come available.

Lycoming IO-360...should be nice.

http://www.composite-fx.com/Compfx/SWIFT.html

Poor man's Cabri G2.