Heli Expo for newbies

ralpez

What Spike said. Literally, if you keep up a jog, dress incognito, never talk to anyone, and do nothing but breeze by the booths with your eyes open, you may at least pass everything once in a day. Maybe. Plan on at least 2 days and additional time for the job fair. Most folks find their way to the various big name parties each evening. I was there for a weekend class, the 3 days of open floor, and a couple of evening events last year and I still feel like I didn't get to see everything or everyone I wanted to see. We'll see how far I get this year! Lol.

Thanks for the info Spike and Em.

Looking at the website, it looks like the job fair doesnt count as an admission so maybe I will dedicate the first day to that and then spend the next day exploring the floor. I am not planning on attending any seminars this year. I will certainly be dressed incognito since Im going on my own time so I wont be wearing my uniform...

A dinner or two would be fun.

P.S. Yes, I'll wear my VR pin :)

• Like 1

Looking at the website, it looks like the job fair doesnt count as an admission so maybe I will dedicate the first day to that and then spend the next day exploring the floor. I am not planning on attending any seminars this year. I will certainly be dressed incognito since Im going on my own time so I wont be wearing my uniform...

Correct, the fair, as well as some of the other meetings will be outside of the Expo hall so paying is not required…… And, as an FYI, comfortable casual IS the uniform for a HeliExpo. That is, unless you’re looking for a job….

As much as I want to attend this year, I already had to do the RHC SC this year and the travel expense hit me hard. I missed Heli-Success this year and was planning on going in 2014. Are the networking opportunities at Heli-Expo going to be as good as Heli-Success? If you had to choose one, which one would it be?

Correct, the fair, as well as some of the other meetings will be outside of the Expo hall so paying is not required…… And, as an FYI, comfortable casual IS the uniform for a HeliExpo. That is, unless you’re looking for a job….

What's the recommended dress for someone who IS looking?

nightsta1ker, I've not been to Heli Success, which by all accounts is a great event. I do however know 2 pilots that went to Heli Expo in 2011 with nothing but a suit and a resume in hand and walked out of the convention with jobs. The networking opportunities are only as good as you make them, but I am still in contact with every single contact that I made there and it has been a gold mine to be able to tap those resources throughout the various areas that I work in in the industry for advice or assistance where needed. This industry is full of awesome people that are willing to help, Heli Expo just brings ALL of them together in the one room once a year.

• Like 1

What's the recommended dress for someone who IS looking?

When you’re looking for a job, I always say, dress for success. With that said, if your plan is to hit the job fair and/or any other employment related meetings, then a suit would be recommended. After that, a suit may be overdress. The thing is, you never know who you may meet, or where…. You can meet someone at the fair or, at the bar, or on the floor, at a restaurant or, in the elevator…. You never know… Therefore, dress accordingly as first impressions count and people do judge a book by its cover…..

As far as the Helisuccess comparison goes, I can’t say as I’ve never attended Helisuccess. However, I can only use common sense to say, Helisuccess is generally geared to the job market and employment. HeliExpo is geared to everything helicopter. HeliExpo is an industry event where industry people come together for various reasons. That being said, HeliExpo is probably a good place to use what you learned at Helisuccess as the networking opportunities are endless, albeit harder to come by....

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

I'm not exactly in a position to look for work right now (1. I'm employed by a good company and 2. I am at least a year or two away from being marketable for a turbine gig), so going would simply be to network, visit with people I know who will be there, make new friends, and ogle helicopters. I should probably just go. Thanks for the info Spike and aussicop.

Edited by nightsta1ker
  • Like 1

I'm not exactly in a position to look for work right now (1. I'm employed by a good company and 2. I am at least a year or two away from being marketable for a turbine gig), so going would simply be to network, visit with people I know who will be there, make new friends, and ogle helicopters. I should probably just go. Thanks for the info Spike and aussicop.

I'm glad you decided to stay active on the forum. There for awhile I was worried about you coming back.

going would simply be to network, visit with people I know who will be there, make new friends, and ogle helicopters. I should probably just go. Thanks for the info Spike and aussicop.

That's exactly why I am going. I hope you make it down!

• Like 1

I've been to both, spike is right, about the differences. Hellisuccess is great for people just coming up into the industry or making a transition. It is purposely kept somewhat small where as obviously heli expo is a huge global event.

At the expo last year I wore my suit for the whole show, I wasn't looking for work but I was talking with a lot of folks and like they say, first impressions only happen once.

I plan to go this year, and yes I will have my VR pin on if I make it there... And more comfortable shoes this time.

These alone are good enough reasons to attend. However, if the goal is to network, making new friends should be the priority. Like I said, helicopter folks attend the Expo for various reasons and making friends for some is not the priority. If you’re interesting, assertive, likeable, outgoing and most importantly confident, people will take notice. Therefore, just showing up and walking the floor won’t get it done. Be yourself, and when the opportunity presents itself, introduce yourself and strike up a conversation. It’s been said before, “it’s not what you know, but who you know” and “being in the right place, at the right time” are mottos well suited for HeliExpo but you must actively participate to generate the possibility. In the end, as long as you can afford to go, what’s there to lose?

And X3 for the shoes….

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought my tickets, and reserved the condo. I'm bringing the family this year and making a vacation out of it. My little boys are already stoked and they still don't know Disney land is across the street. This is how us poor folk knock out two birds with one stone! An added benefit is I will walk enough in a week to shed some flight weight.

• Like 1