Fun time with passengers!

pilot#476398

That exact situation happened to a friend of mine that I flew tours with. In a 44. Kid behind him puked all over the back of his head and it ran down his shirt. I think it was blue from eating cotton candy earlier that day but that detail may be mixing up puke stories.

The best part (or worst) was that it was his 1st tour. He had trained with the owner for a few days and was shown the routes. It was his 1st one on his own. It still cracks me up.

Did that happen to you? Maybe you're the guy I'm talking about.

Ever had a passenger puke on you,...and I mean right on you, like the guy in the seat behind you in a 44 projectile vomits onto the back of your head?

:)

Thankfully no........just another reason to fly easy, and no 4G turns at 120 knots.

No to the puke, but I did have one, non-English speaking, young guy who must have eaten something funky the night before. He spent the first half of the 65min flight sweating profusely, then noticeably relaxed. When I shut down to let everyone out at their destination (a 3hr remote ATV tour), he stood far back from the group. I released them to their ground guide and began closing things up for the ride home when I noticed a foul smell and a stain on the seat he'd occupied (luckily in back on the far side). I only had to fly home 10min but that poor guy had to sit on an ATV for 3hrs and then get an hour ride back to town in a van with the same 5 people he'd flown in with. I later found a pharmacy bag with some pepto, Tylenol, and a water in the seat pocket :/

• Like 1

Patients vomit fairly often, mostly the medical types are on top of it. However, I did fly one who surprised the medic, who had just said "I think this guy's gonna be sick". I looked over to see several inches of vertical vomit splashing off the medic who was seconds late... The vomitus was everywhere, pilot's area included, but mostly missed me. We carry the RFM vertical in a slot behind the collective. That was hard to decontaminate, ordered a replacement.

I had a passenger who had been eating sunflower seed and drinking pink lemonade. Dude was a trooper, he threw up, but caught it all in his helmet. Not a drop inside the helo anywhere.

Part of the passenger briefing should include barf bags. If you explain to them that if they feel that they will be even just a little nausea they should have the bag right next to them. Thus I have never had an issue.

• Like 1

Had a puker two weeks ago. It was a kid; she was fine until the last five minutes of the tour. She had been talking constantly and suddenly went quiet. I looked over and thought "ahhhh s*** don't get it on me!!!". Fortunately she handled it like a champ; got it all in the barf bag.

About a week later another pilot at our airport wasn't so lucky. Got completely drenched in projectile puke...

Some people are sympathetic pukers, which in aircraft is bad. In a jump aircraft in tight quarters, it can set up a chain reaction. But sympathetic poopers are worse, especially if they have explosive diarrhea.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a small dog have diarrhea all over bran new leather seats in the EC-130. Beautiful interior with that perforated leather which I spent over an hour later picking sh*t out of with a needle. The worst part was the smell...for just a second I thought about pulling that little orange handle to get some fresh air. Haha!