Experiences with PTSD evaluations for Medical Certification?

Bighead

Anywho, back on topic!

Update:

I have completed all of the evaluations required by the FAA for my case. Last week I met outside the Renton FSDO with the person in charge of my case to submit my Head CT scan, Psychiatric and Neuropsychological examinations.

BIG thanks to JCM5 for the referral to Dr. Healy. I contacted him and he was able to see me the following week for the psychiatric evaluation. He then referred me to a psychologist he knows, Dr. Fordyce. Fordyce did the psychological interview and administered the required neuropsychological testing, including a cogscreen. Both doctors handle FAA related evaluations regularly and basically already knew everything I would need for my situation.

All in all, I only had to spend about $1400 on everything which was much less than I was originally anticipating. Fortunately, the VA was able to conduct the Head CT imaging, so that saved me a huge chunk.

I also included some letters of recommendation from my 3 aviation instructors from my Fall quarter at GRCC as well as one from Scott (Nightsta1ker) after we went up for an hour of dual. The LORs probably won't hold nearly as much weight as the actual required evals, but I figured it couldn't hurt to build as strong of a case as possible.

Hopefully it won't take more than a few months for the Renton FSDO to make a decision on my reconsideration. I'll keep this thread updated as time goes on!

Um. Not sure if this helps, probably not, but let me give it an honest shot.

1) I kind of really hate that term "PTSD". It's so misleading. Means vastly different things to different people. At one extreme, it's a rough ride, that hurt mentally and physically. At the other extreme, it's a permanent disability, a permanent, un-recoverable, incurable, certification of a mental retard.

Neither extreme caricature is helpful.

2) I watched a buddy of mine just in a downward spiral. Iraq vet. Handicap sticker on his number plate. Brooding. Restless. Mood swings. Irrational, extreme anger. Over nothing. Sense of failure and worthlessness. Etc.

He had and has some good buddies. From being around him, and others, and my own experiences, I offer a wholly un-professional, personal, take-it-with-a-pinch -of-salt, experience based grumble.

1) I hate shrinks. Intellectual idiots in white coats. I challenge anybody to go through life, and not, at some stage, to have truly distressing, emotional, hurtful, bewildering, temporarily dis-abling experiences. PTSD is not the preserve of military mishaps. To some degree, we are ALL... PTSD graduates. Believe me. The Burning Soldier (5) Silent Warrior

2) If somebody quits, they quit. That's a personal decision. On the other hand, there comes a point, the fighter says: Enough! To hell with this. Tear that damn handicap sticker off your number plate, roll up the sleeves, and get going. I've seen guys go both ways. the downward spiral. Brooding, introspective. And the "Fukkit!" get-going, up and at 'em

3) If that was me, I'd fight and fight and fight. There is no way, Jose, I'd let some mealy mouthed academic imbecile certify me as unfit to fly, if I knew in my heart of hearts that is what i wanted to do, and do it safely, and do it proudly, and do it well.

I realize this is politically incorrect, and some trained psychologist is going to get all mad, and frankly, I don't give a cussed damn.

Fight 'em, is what I say. Go fly. Bugger 'em all.

:)

• Like 2

Bighead is definitely one of the more motivated guys I have met. He definitely has the right stuff. The guy is going to be a great pilot someday.

As a combat vet, I know how hard it can be dealing with the baggage of combat deployments, and I didn't see half the stuff Bighead did. He is handling things very well considering what he's been through. PTSD is not a forever condition. Why the government treats vets like it is and that they will never be whole again is a mystery to me (like most government policies). I guess it's all CYA. If you check the block on the medical, they need x amount of paper trail to pass the buck onto someone else if something happens.

• Like 1

(quote) "PTSD is not a forever condition"

Exactly right. Time IS a great healer.

• Like 1

BIG thanks to JCM5 for the referral to Dr. Healy. I contacted him and he was able to see me the following week for the psychiatric evaluation. He then referred me to a psychologist he knows, Dr. Fordyce. Fordyce did the psychological interview and administered the required neuropsychological testing, including a cogscreen. Both doctors handle FAA related evaluations regularly and basically already knew everything I would need for my situation.

All in all, I only had to spend about $1400 on everything which was much less than I was originally anticipating. Fortunately, the VA was able to conduct the Head CT imaging, so that saved me a huge chunk.

Again, the lesson all should learn from this; you’ll have to step outside the VA system, at your expense, and hire your own psychologist/mental health professional to provide you with an evaluation that meets the FAA requirements. It is not the VA’s job to worry about your desire to be a pilot or FAA requirements. The VA system has too many failings for you to hang your hopes on.

You need someone that has experience performing psychiatric evaluations on pilots and dealing with the FAA.

As an example:

William V. Healey III, Md

Hopefully it won't take more than a few months for the Renton FSDO to make a decision on my reconsideration. I'll keep this thread updated as time goes on!

You're dealing with the Regional Flight Surgeon’s Office (AAM) in Renton, WA

not the FSDO (AFS).

A FSDO is a District Field Office dealing with local flight standards.

In this case they have the same address, totally different departments.

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Epic Update:

Just got a call from Medical Certification Analysis at the FAA Regional Center in Renton.

After reviewing all the current findings regarding my service-connected disabilities, I have been awarded my Class II Medical Certification w/ Student Pilot Certificate. Now I'm just waiting on the certs and letter in the mail, which I should see by the end of the week since I live only about 80 miles away.

RAD!

I will chime in with further details (if any) once I receive their mail. All in all, seems like this was a much better experience than I anticipated. From date of denial to date of approval was just over 3 months

• 3 weeks later...

My next question is, do I need to notify the VA about my current condition? I mean, technically, my current rating is a little high now for my current condition

Never tell a Government agency anything unless asked. ;)

• Like 1

My next question is, do I need to notify the VA about my current condition? I mean, technically, my current rating is a little high now for my current condition

Well what is your current condition? If you're no longer suffering from the effects of PTSD then you're obligated to inform them of your current condition. Same goes for civ or military pilots. Any changes to your medical status you are required to notify the flight surgeon / AME.

The VA is still required to periodically evaluate you to see if you still rate your current percentage. From what I've heard, they're so inundated with VA claims they just don't have the time to do this.