"The Helicopter Logbook" Anyone out there using it ?

I am looking for a new logbook and I came across this one, http://www.helicopterlogbook.com/

Anyone out there currently using this one?

Im currently looking for a CFII job and thought that I might as well get a new logbook so I can start clean and keep it more professional looking than the one I used in my training.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks guys!

Ross Cristiano

I use a Jeppesen logbook. I have filled a few of them, and they've always worked out well. I use the same size as the one you referenced; it's the professional log, but it's a lot less expensive, and has blank columns or enough columns I can cross out to customize as needed.

The logbook linked at the start of the thread has a few extra columns that are helpful, but not eighty five bucks worth. The log looks like it was made for military helicopter pilots looking to log time toward a civilian job.

I used the big Sporty's log once. It took about ten years to fill. It was okay, but the Jepp logs seem to work better for me. One thing I did find is that the bigger logbooks, taking longer to fill, have a potential to get damaged over the years, and tend to end up looking more worn when done. Smaller logbooks get filled more quickly, and stay in better shape. The bigger ones are easier to store, however, and make for less logbooks to keep track of. I keep mine in a fire and water resistant safe.

I also have logbook pro. I have used it a little in the field to log experience, then used it to fill in paper logs when at home. I haven't used the logbook pro for some time now (few years), and am behind on the paper logs by about six months (I usually keep up, but sort of lost interest and motivation). At one time I tried to transfer my logs to the logbook pro, but it proved so long and tedious I finally gave up.

What's her story?

I haven't filled out a paper logbook in years. After 12 of them it got to be sort of redundant. And I haven't had any issues with employers or the FAA. I use logbook pro and have been quite happy with it. One reason I went with a computer logbook is when I fill out insurance or employment applications they want all sorts of different flight time breakdowns. The computer logbook makes it reasonably easy. Try that with paper. And if you need a paper logbook, logbook pro will save or print in the Jeppesen logbook format.

The best thing is that the program will do all the total times and they will be accurate. Much better than my paper logbook or most others I have seen.

I put my logbooks on a desktop computer awhile back. It still had the big and little floppy discs for external storage. That's the problem with them, transferring them from desktop to laptop and back, before that particular computer becomes obsolete.

When I bought that desktop it was state of the art. Now all those floppies and diskettes are next to worthless.

Rick,

What sorts of time break downs were they looking for? Thats my worry is that Im going to find a job that wants something I've done, but maybe never specifically logged and Im going to have to spend 3 days going line by line trying to find every .1 of whatever it might have been.

One job I looked at wanted "200 dolly-cart landings verified through reliable documentation" And of course there are jobs where you can read the requirements and see they did everything but add, "And your name must be Tom Jones, the guy we actually plan on hiring even if someone else meets all of this crazy stuff."

Another was an LE job that actually said you needed 500 hours flying within the geographic boundaries of that particular county. :D Don't make it to obvious that you already have your guy picked out!

Edited by Flying Pig

Haha rick, I'm not gonna touch that one. Unless you get me drunk, then you will find out more than you ever wanted to know :-)

I don't remember the categories on my last job app, but there were a ton. Even with the electronic logbook it took a while

"200 dolly-cart landings verified through reliable documentation"

One full day and a video camera with a lunch break ;-)

We'll OK..... Since the OP has decided that he's buying it, I'll derail the thread.....

Here is what I log:

Total Time

PIC

Airplane

High Performance / Complex Airplane

Helicopter

Turbine

Night

NVG

mountain

Cross Country

As CFI

Long line

Bucket

Instrument simulated and actual

Number of Approaches and type

Dual recieved

Hours by specific aircraft

Edited by Flying Pig

I like this derailment. I log just the regular catagories found in the standard ASA blue logbook that a lot of students start with.

However, just out of personal curiosity I keep track of (in my computer):

Total

Solo

PIC

Dual

Day

Night total

Night solo

Night PIC

Night Dual

Night dual PIC

Night xc total

Night xc solo

Night xc PIC

Night xc dual

XC total

XC solo

XC PIC

XC dual

Takeoff/land - total/PIC/night total/night PIC/day total/day PIC

PIC R22

PIC R44

PIC for each aircraft flown (those pages at the back of the logbook)

Turbine

Instrument (simulated)

It gives me something to do. :D

We'll OK..... Since the OP has decided that he's buying it, I'll derail the thread.....

Here is what I log:

Total Time

PIC

Airplane

High Performance / Complex Airplane

Helicopter

Turbine

Night

NVG

mountain

Cross Country

As CFI

Long line

Bucket

Instrument simulated and actual

Number of Approaches and type

Dual recieved

Hours by specific aircraft

Numbers, numbers, numbers....

I have paper logbooks in the safety deposit box, sign-offs and sentimental value. Digital all the time.

There aren't enough columns in any paper format to keep a running total of all the different types of experience. Excel and a search works better and never gets dirty and smeared up (use good file management practices!).

Edited by Wally

I have paper logbooks in the safety deposit box, sign-offs and sentimental value. Digital all the time.

There aren't enough columns in any paper format to keep a running total of all the different types of experience. Excel and a search works better and never gets dirty and smeared up (use good file management practices!).

Do use a custom Excel spreadsheet? If so...any chance you could share the file? If/Thens and formulas can be a hassle sometimes.

Don’t know if you guys have this problem, but multiple aircraft categories are a real pain. Especially newly created aircraft categories. Example: for many years I had to log my EAB Trike time as airplane time, because that’s what it was registered as. The WSC category was not created yet. Same thing with multi-engine WSC, or Gyro-sea…still no class, may never be. Long story short, I’ve learned to keep separate logbooks for separate categories (and classes?). Ultralight, PPC, PPG, WSC, Gyro, FW, Heli…It’s much easier this way. In Excel (someday I’ll get around to it), I would have a tab for each category and have a roll-up tab. Anybody have an Excel file they can share?

NOTE: for decades the FAA said not to bother logging UL time. They said it would NEVER be logable. Consequently, most people didn’t. Then after 30 years…they said you must have it logged to get credit for it. The moral of the story is log everything. You never know what the future holds in store.

Don’t know if you guys have this problem, but multiple aircraft categories are a real pain. Especially newly created aircraft categories. Example: for many years I had to log my EAB Trike time as airplane time, because that’s what it was registered as. The WSC category was not created yet. Same thing with multi-engine WSC, or Gyro-sea…still no class, may never be. Long story short, I’ve learned to keep separate logbooks for separate categories (and classes?). Ultralight, PPC, PPG, WSC, Gyro, FW, Heli…It’s much easier this way. In Excel (someday I’ll get around to it), I would have a tab for each category and have a roll-up tab. Anybody have an Excel file they can share?

NOTE: for decades the FAA said not to bother logging UL time. They said it would NEVER be logable. Consequently, most people didn’t. Then after 30 years…they said you must have it logged to get credit for it. The moral of the story is log everything. You never know what the future holds in store. UL FAR Part 103 Heli time is an example.