Where to go from here

Hello everyone I wanted to reach out and get some advice. Over a year ago I started on this forum on my way into Army Aviation.

About me :

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/16666-snag-for-meps/?view=findpost&p=132782

Current Situation: So after a long road and multiple battles I got the SIFT test out of the way etc. So In November an OCS Board opened and was my last shot at that route as I was going to be over the AD Age for acceptance by the next Board. I had not had my flight physical scheduled yet and as slow as my recruiting office had been and the constant battles with them I knew that by the time I went to WOFT Board that my door for OCS would have closed forever. Be it foolish or not I jumped in the OCS Board (with literally 24 hours prior to the Board) and was accepted.

So from there I knew I had to get the flight physical done if there was going to be any chance, however slim, to branch Aviation, so from November till now I keep arguing for it and no go. I Depart for training in August...

Finally someone new took over at the recruiting station and I got off the phone with him earlier and he told me his chain of command could not justify sending me for a flight physical as I was already accepted in OCS etc. He stated he would ask again (yeah right).I explained that it absolutely had to be completed prior to shipping or I would be SOL.

I will not accept no for an answer and it is extremely frustrating to say the least. I have LOR's from a Major who is over with the group who flies the Golden Knights, LOR's from LTC with 160th Soar, CW5 Fixed Wing VIP pilot etc. So this is my last hurdle.

Given my situation how do I proceed? I want to handle it the proper way and not come off half cocked. Any insight you guys can give me?

Thank you all again.

lawilm

Hopefully you can take some bad news if it applies to you. As of Dec 2013, USAREC directed an overall college 3.5 GPA for anyone submitting a request in branching aviation in OCS by the third week. Of course, you would still need the flight physical and the SIFT completed prior to BCT. Contact Mr Galloway, the S-1 at OCS. If indeed there has been a change, let us know one way or the other. 706-545-5434.

If you meet the new GPA requirement, have your recruiting office call Mr Galloway in confirming that the flight physical is required for even Officer Candidates requesting the Aviation branch. More than likely, your recruiting office will not have a clue and unfortunately care even less.

If unable in branching aviation in OCS, another option would be applying for a WOFT slot as a Lt after a few years being commissioned if you still want the pilot seat. You will incur approximately a $20K pay cut from Cpt to CW2. In addition, you must meet the WOFT board before 33 without a waiver. Of course everything in the Army is subject to change.

You could always decline your OCS slot and reapply for WOFT if that's at all possible. That would be a gutsy call.

Next time in life, don't wait so long in serving your country.

Next time in life, don't wait so long in serving your country.

Careful there. Lawilm has been serving his country for a long time; just in a different capacity.

Law--

Have you talked to the Commander (should be an O-3) of your recruiting station? He should be at least sympathetic to your plight.

• Like 1

Velocity173

Active duty Officer Candidates select their branch at the end of the sixth week. It's based on the Order of Merit (class standing). Graded on leadership, academics and PT. And usually PT could be the tie breaker. Reserve and NG Officer Candidates know their branch prior to attending OCS.

• Like 1

Lindsey, I followed your advice and currently sending it up the chain of comman.

Also thanks for your support over the last year, I can honestly accredit you with helping me with my SIFT and reminding me I wasnt the only one in a long multi-year battle.

I understand your done with WOCS?

• Like 1

Lindsey, I followed your advice and currently sending it up the chain of comman.

Also thanks for your support over the last year, I can honestly accredit you with helping me with my SIFT and reminding me I wasnt the only one in a long multi-year battle.

I understand your done with WOCS?

Indeed I am. Waiting on BOLC to start now. Keep us updated on what the CDR says!

Also I do apologize for being a late bloomer in the service of my country.

No reason to apologize for that. You're trying to do more than most. Hell, "most" wouldn't even serve.

Lindsey,

Roger wilco

Just as an FYI, it's one or the other. Not to be used together.

Hoping this works out for you.