Army Flight School Height Requirements

I'm sure someone can eventually answer this better than I can, but I barely passed the anthromorphic requirements at my flight physical at 5'6. I was within 1-2cm for each of the 3 measurements. I asked the flight surgeon what would have happened if I didn't meet the cutoff- he told me it would still be possible to be accepted, but that I would have to travel all the way to Ft Rucker to sit in the cockpit of each airframe to determine which ones if any I could reach all the controls on. According to him, as long as you can demonstrate you can reach and operate all the controls on at least one you are good, but not meeting the measurements does cost you the extra time and hassle of a trip to Rucker.

8 hours ago, CrayonEater said:

I'm sure someone can eventually answer this better than I can, but I barely passed the anthromorphic requirements at my flight physical at 5'6. I was within 1-2cm for each of the 3 measurements. I asked the flight surgeon what would have happened if I didn't meet the cutoff- he told me it would still be possible to be accepted, but that I would have to travel all the way to Ft Rucker to sit in the cockpit of each airframe to determine which ones if any I could reach all the controls on. According to him, as long as you can demonstrate you can reach and operate all the controls on at least one you are good, but not meeting the measurements does cost you the extra time and hassle of a trip to Rucker.

This is the correct answer.  I was in the same boat but on the opposite side. If you don't meet one of the anthropomorphic measurements on the flight physical you'll need to get a cockpit evaluation (generally done at Ft. Rucker) in order to get a exception to policy (waiver). You'll spend the morning traveling around to each of the main airfields and sitting in each airframe. You'll generally be with someone from DES and as long as you can safely manipulate the flight controls and see out of the cockpit you'll leave with a memo that recommends your exception to policy be approved. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. You'll likely have to foot the bill for gas and a hotel.

17 hours ago, CrayonEater said:

can I ask what year did you do this flight physical of yours that you said you barely passed? thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it. I'm dreaming of becoming a pilot for the 64's though. Also one last question, do the anti torque pedals of the birds of the army adjust? like can you adjust them like the ones on the airliners or the other fixed wing aircrafts?

9 hours ago, amp said:

^I know someone who did that exact thing. The only airframe she wasn't cleared on was 64s. Everything else was good. She was close to 5'2".

Aww men the 64's? that's the bird that I would love to operate one day. What does she fly now? also when you say close to 5'2 does it mean on the shorter side of 5'2 close to 5'2 or on the taller side of 5'2 close to 5'2?

are you flying for Uncle Sam right now? if you are, what are you flying? Man, I'm really hoping for the 64's. But I do know that you rarely get to pick what you want during the selection. Maybe if you know someone who is on the same height as me and is flying a 64? hahaha anyways thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, KC Garcia said:

can I ask what year did you do this flight physical of yours that you said you barely passed? thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it. I'm dreaming of becoming a pilot for the 64's though. Also one last question, do the anti torque pedals of the birds of the army adjust? like can you adjust them like the ones on the airliners or the other fixed wing aircrafts?

This was in October 2019 so very recent. I haven't even gone to WOCS yet, so I can't really answer any questions beyond the initial application process. I did speak to a current Army pilot subsequent to the flight physical with that same question though and he said the pedals and such are all adjustable, and not to worry about my height because he knows plenty of really short pilots who do just fine. 

8 hours ago, KC Garcia said:

Aww men the 64's? that's the bird that I would love to operate one day. What does she fly now? also when you say close to 5'2 does it mean on the shorter side of 5'2 close to 5'2 or on the taller side of 5'2 close to 5'2?

She flys 60s. I'm not sure her exact height but I would have guessed 5'2-5'3.

18 hours ago, KC Garcia said:

are you flying for Uncle Sam right now? if you are, what are you flying? Man, I'm really hoping for the 64's. But I do know that you rarely get to pick what you want during the selection. Maybe if you know someone who is on the same height as me and is flying a 64? hahaha anyways thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it. 

I know a few guys shorter than 5'2" in flight school now. You will probably be fine, but will likely have to come here and get measured as others have said.

If you want 64s, you will get 64s unless some fluke happens and there aren't any during selection. They are almost always last to be picked during selection.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, XIIGage said:

I know a few guys shorter than 5'2" in flight school now. You will probably be fine, but will likely have to come here and get measured as others have said.

If you want 64s, you will get 64s unless some fluke happens and there aren't any during selection. They are almost always last to be picked during selection.

Hey man. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. Are you currently in flight school or you're already flying? If you are, what are flying?