Viet Nam era Huey Pilots

bossman

When we take our Huey to airshows and festivals I always run into Viet Nam era pilots and vets that get a little sentimental over the old girl. We are all getting up there in years. They all say how much they like the Hueys. Well, I'd like to extend an invitation to these folks and let them take another turn around the patch. If you are ever in the Logan County West Virginia (6L4) area find the airport and we'll let you take a turn in our Huey. Of course it's in restricted catagory and only allows essential crew. You will be briefed on the mission and your duties before the flight. No charge. Maybe a small fuel donation, if you want. Our Huey has had a great history. She was in Nam from 1962 to 1971. Came home to CA and did fires, crops, and movies. We do a lot of hanger flying. If you are in our area the airport is a great place to hang out.

Mike

• 1 month later...

bossman,

I wonder how many Viet Nam era Huey pilots are still wandering around. I was surprised that your post did not generate a lot of replies. It is surely, a generous offer.

I have not been close to a UH-1 except for museum displays, in 34 years. Those encounters brought back a lot of memories. If I am ever in your area I will stop by, if only for the hanger flying.

There's a fair few of us Viet Nam Era Huey guys still around.

It is a generous offer. Obvious to me that "Bossman" loves what he does, good on'em.

Sometimes, we Old F4rts talk hard as part of the act, but have to kind of "edge up" to some things. "The Wall" unexpectedly broke me down...

There's a fair few of us Viet Nam Era Huey guys still around.

It is a generous offer. Obvious to me that "Bossman" loves what he does, good on'em.

Sometimes, we Old F4rts talk hard as part of the act, but have to kind of "edge up" to some things. "The Wall" unexpectedly broke me down...

Wally,

The Wall did the same for me. They brought the roving wall to our area and I took the Huey and put it on display for the two days that the Wall was in town. Had a great time talking to all the vets that were there.

Was in Dayton last week with the Huey and got to take a couple of the guys around the patch. Whenever one of us old farts pick up the sound of the old girl we go looking to see where it lands. Going into our fire season in a couple of weeks. Come fly a couple of crew missions with us.

Mike

Wally,

The Wall did the same for me. They brought the roving wall to our area and I took the Huey and put it on display for the two days that the Wall was in town. Had a great time talking to all the vets that were there.

Was in Dayton last week with the Huey and got to take a couple of the guys around the patch. Whenever one of us old farts pick up the sound of the old girl we go looking to see where it lands. Going into our fire season in a couple of weeks. Come fly a couple of crew missions with us.

Mike

Bossman, if you ever get back to daytona, let me know. i'm not too far away and would enjoy the meeting!

take care...

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys. When I saw mention of "The Wall" in this thread and how some ..... well let's say.... have difficulties getting near it, I had to chime in with my two cents. I'm 58 and have taken my family to DC twice. I always make it a point to take them to "The Wall". However, I end up standing up the hill a little near the Medic Statue (I think it is) because I can't get any closer. Guess it's my age, but I can't even approach within 10 feet of it. Just the thought of my buddies with me over there and all the others that never made it back. The images of them and others hits me hard.

It was good to hear I wasn't the only one that had trouble getting near it. Oh.... by the way.... when I stand by the Medic Statue, for some odd reason I'm always joining or am joined by a few others just standing around watching our families below. But we never speak to each other.

God bless all the men and women who gave their lives or parts of their bodies in that War and may God bless their families and loved ones that went through it waiting for them only to get "the visit"!

• 11 years later...
On 9/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, Jerry Nski said:

Mike,

How do I sign up for the Huey flights? US Army Instructor Pilot, Instrument Flight Examiner 1971 to 1987. American Airlines Pilot/Captain

1987 to 2010. Would like to attend the activities 22 - 27 June at Logan County Airport?, WV.

Thanks,

Gerald V. Nowakowski

Here is Mike's contact info and website.

https://marpataviation.com/

• 4 weeks later...