van nevel helicopters

Has any one looked in to Van Nevel Helicopter Academy. I'm just wondering if some one went through them for there CFII would any one be willing the hire you seeing that you would have no Piston Powered Experience. Also the cost is a bit higher but not as high as i would have thought it to be 390$ph w/instructor.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any one looked in to Van Nevel Helicopter Academy. I'm just wondering if some one went through them for there CFII would any one be willing the hire you seeing that you would have no Piston Powered Experience. Also the cost is a bit higher but not as high as i would have thought it to be 390$ph w/instructor.

I have spoken with George Van Nevel on several occasions over the last week or so. He seems to be a straight up guy. His concept toward training is pretty much along the same lines as us. He has a very good factory training program. His graduates are being hired by Gulf companies as SIC and building time. Since the FAA sanfu with our Alouettes we are acquiring a FH 1100 to continue our turbine training. Mr. Van Nevel has been a great help to us in the past couple of weeks. Check them out. You will be pleased.

bossman

I have spoken with George Van Nevel on several occasions over the last week or so. He seems to be a straight up guy. His concept toward training is pretty much along the same lines as us. He has a very good factory training program. His graduates are being hired by Gulf companies as SIC and building time. Since the FAA sanfu with our Alouettes we are acquiring a FH 1100 to continue our turbine training. Mr. Van Nevel has been a great help to us in the past couple of weeks. Check them out. You will be pleased.

bossman

So even thought a student would have low hours and (150) and no time in a piston powered helicopter there still being hired by GOM co's to fly... and there insurance is covering it?

So even thought a student would have low hours and (150) and no time in a piston powered helicopter there still being hired by GOM co's to fly... and there insurance is covering it?

From what I can tell as SIC it's fine. I know of a couple of guys with 150-300 hours as SIC in S-61's.

I think that after you go through the factory training course you end up with about 300 hours. All turbine.

bossman

• 5 months later...

bossman

I WOULD CAUTION ANYONE DEALING WITH GEORGE VAN NEVEL (VAN NEVEL HELICOPTERS)! DO YOUR HOME WORK! HE HAS RECENTLY HAD A HELICOPTER CRASH AND KILL 2 PILOTS! HE HAS BEEN RAIDED NUMEROUS TIMES OVER THE YEARS BY THE FAA, FBI, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION INSPECTOR GENERALS OFFICE AND IRS FOR USING TIME OUT PARTS AND UNTRACEABLE PARTS ON HIS REFURBISHED HELO'S. HE IS NOT AN HONEST MAN. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS GUY. HE HAS CHANGED HIS NAME SEVERAL TIMES DUE TO THE TROUBLES HE HAS HAD. GOOD LUCK!

JESSIE

I WOULD CAUTION ANYONE DEALING WITH GEORGE VAN NEVEL (VAN NEVEL HELICOPTERS)! DO YOUR HOME WORK! HE HAS RECENTLY HAD A HELICOPTER CRASH AND KILL 2 PILOTS! HE HAS BEEN RAIDED NUMEROUS TIMES OVER THE YEARS BY THE FAA, FBI, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION INSPECTOR GENERALS OFFICE AND IRS FOR USING TIME OUT PARTS AND UNTRACEABLE PARTS ON HIS REFURBISHED HELO'S. HE IS NOT AN HONEST MAN. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS GUY. HE HAS CHANGED HIS NAME SEVERAL TIMES DUE TO THE TROUBLES HE HAS HAD. GOOD LUCK!

JESSIE

Jesse,

Where do you get your info?

Unless you have facts, do not spread rumor and propaganda here! Your ability to yell and sling mud seems to me to be unfounded.

Please read the other threads in the General section to bring yourself up to date.

Now if what you say is factual, what are your sources and why are you not talking to the feds as a witness? What was Georges name prior to this?

Now if what you say is factual, what are your sources and why are you not talking to the feds as a witness? What was Georges name prior to this?

Federal Raid At Century Helicopter Company

This was posted but 2 days ago!

Here is some of what has been reported...

JESSIE

Jessie28

You are correct that Geroges and his company may have been inspected by Federal authoritys over the last 18 years he has been in Businees....this is a commom occurance for Manufacturing facilities and repair staitons.

...However you will notice that he has NOT been charged on convicted once.

Your statement about name changes means nothing. His company is named after his own name....you really think if he had something to hide he would use his own name?...come on now

JESSIE

This guy sounds like the person that "blew the whistle" on this outfit. Can you back any of these statements up? Why do you have an ax to grind with this man? None of this makes sense.

RW

HE HAS BEEN RAIDED NUMEROUS TIMES OVER THE YEARS BY THE FAA, FBI, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION INSPECTOR GENERALS OFFICE AND IRS FOR USING TIME OUT PARTS AND UNTRACEABLE PARTS ON HIS REFURBISHED HELO'S.

Why would the IRS be involved over the type of parts the business is using? Tax evasion yes, timed out parts? I don't see how it's in any of their business to regulate aircraft parts.

jmo

Why would the IRS be involved over the type of parts the business is using? Tax evasion yes, timed out parts? I don't see how it's in any of their business to regulate aircraft parts.

jmo

Hi

While I cannot say with any certainty (as I wasn't part of the team that participated in the raid) there often is more likely than not, taking the stance that "we" will bring forth the more than is needed mentality here! aka "over engineered" the process

Often when these things happen they bring charges far and above what is actually being investigated knowing that some if not most of the charges will be dropped or thrown out as the process continues along.

In court many charges are reduced and or dropped in a plea bargaining agreement process.

So when swinging the stick the government often wants to swing a big & fully loaded stick, often only to be satisfied in the end with much less than was initially brought forth!

Edited by Bell206Pilot

This guy sounds like the person that "blew the whistle" on this outfit. Can you back any of these statements up? Why do you have an ax to grind with this man? None of this makes sense.

RW

Not that I'm trying to defend Jessie 28 but try looking at

www.clerk.co.escambia.fl.us/public_records.html

Do a search on Van Nevel. Has anyone talked to Kenny Ashby, court case 23002 CA 002486? How about Anthony Urella, court case 2002 CA 002483? Or Arron Dalton, Court case 2008 CA 000036? The Ashby file and the Urella case are pretty interesting. Has anyone asked Jim Pope of Valley Helicopters what he thinks. I'm not sure if he can talk about it though because Mr. Van Nevel seems to have a habit of requiring a non-disclosure and no deflamatory remarks section in his settlements. And I'm just curious if anyone has asked Mr. Van Nevel directly, just how many lawsuits or complaints has he been involved in in the past 10 years?

People quick to defend Mr. Van Nevel probably have not asked why did he surrender his companies repair station certificate years ago and perhaps his personal A&P. Has anyone researched the why's of that? Its easy to blame the FAA for attacking the little guy but the reality is that when you strap on that aircraft on you are taking yours and others lives in your hands. There are always two sides to a story. Should you just dismiss the FAA's side because we all like to hate the government or do they get it right once in a while? Could this be one of those times? Maybe the most important people to ask are the two that died back in September but we can't do that. Wonder why the old saying where there's smoke there's fire is one that seems to always seems to hold some truth to it.

As for people buying a FH1100, I just don't get Mr. Van Nevels remarks on the news.

http://www.weartv.com/players/news/top_sto.../vid_1773.shtml

Something to the effect people have to realize these helicopters are 40 years old. What does that have to do with a newly refurbished helicopter crashing on its delivery flight? Either it was airworthy or not. Obviously that one wasn't. And the FH1100 is an ancient design. Who in their right mind would buy a helicopter that has been out of production for over 25 years from a company promising to resurrect it - especially when the company is having constant problems with the FAA and many of the parts cannot be obtained any more? The FH1100 was a disaster for Fairchild-Hiller and then later for Rogerson Hiller too. Why else did they sell the design? Has anyone asked that question? Anyone foolish enough to buy an FH1100 should be contacting current owners and asking them what they think of spare parts support. Has anyone done that? It would be interesting to have current FH1100 owners respond but from what I've heard they would be afraid to. And for those interested in doing just that, contacting current owners, try the FAA registry web site for a list of names.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

Just food for thought!

Parts Guy,

I have contacted some of the owners. They really like their FH1100. They say it is stronger than the 206, even with the old C18. Now it has the C20B. The 206 is an ancient design. It has not had many changes over the years.

I also checked out the lawsuits. I found a couple in relation to the FH1100. I found 79 in relation to Bell Helicopter that are unresolved. I'm sure the other manufacturers have several against them, also. It seems to go with the territory.

You are very quick to assume that the tragic crash in Sept. was the fault of the helicopter. The last time I checked, the investigation was still ongoing. We need to wait and see what they come up with. I'm sure many factors were involved.

What parts are you referring to that can't be obtained? The owners said that the part situation was improving daily. George says that all the parts are now available.

The only disaster for Fairchild/Hiller, was politics. Ladybird Johnson on the board of Bell Helicopter was a disaster for them. The army chose the FH1100 over the 206, but politics had more weight.

Until George gives me some reason to think otherwise, I'm going to give his product a shot. He has always been forthcoming with information. He seems to me to be a straight up type guy, that will look you in the eye and tell you what he thinks. Visit his operation and check him out. He enjoys showing off his facility and he is passionate about his helicopter.

The MIDO has no problem with what he is doing. I called the manager at the MIDO. Now, if you call the FSDO you get some story about unapproved parts. The MIDO told me they had Van Nevel place a -V on the parts he was manfacturing and the FSDO says the TC does not address parts with a -V. Go figure.

All said and done, I think it is a good helicopter. We'll see about the support.

Mike

"www.clerk.co.escambia.fl.us/public_records.html

Do a search on Van Nevel. Has anyone talked to Kenny Ashby, court case 23002 CA 002486? How about Anthony Urella, court case 2002 CA 002483? Or Arron Dalton, Court case 2008 CA 000036? The Ashby file and the Urella case are pretty interesting. Has anyone asked Jim Pope of Valley Helicopters what he thinks. I'm not sure if he can talk about it though because Mr. Van Nevel seems to have a habit of requiring a non-disclosure and no deflamatory remarks section in his settlements. And I'm just curious if anyone has asked Mr. Van Nevel directly, just how many lawsuits or complaints has he been involved in in the past 10 years? "

I searched the escambia public records via your link, I did not see any court cases with those numbers ?!? What I did see though was a lien against an unpaid repair bill, some land ownership changes and couple of judgements on non-payments. The only thing that would worry me is the non-payment and in the news article about the raid there was a mention of non-payment of taxes to the city which may be why the IRS was there.

I am interested in this because I was thinking of training there. As of Jan 7th I've been unable to get anyone on the phone, err... well... I talked to someone? who said to call back tomorrow.... I've called back tomorrow a couple of times probably a total of ten times and have left two messages still unreturned. I was at first trying to give them the benefit of the doubt because I imagine there is a bunch of crap going on there now but.... I dunno what to think..... Its the closest training facility to where I currently live so it kind bums me out that all this is happening plus I saw the all turbine training as a major plus, who uses piston aircraft besides schools?

good point about Bell having 79 lawsuits.

Rogue,

I do not understand your not being able to talk to anyone at Van Nevel. I speak to them at least twice a week. Getting set up to go down and accept our machine and send two of my pilots through the factory checkout. Also sending a mechanic this spring. I'll ask George about answering his telephone. I could not find the court cases referred to, either. The IRS was not in on the so called "raid". That was just the media speculating. As far as I can find out, the Van Nevel operation is on going, it has had some growing pains, George has pissed off some people with his purchase of the TC. He does not get along with the FSDO. He does get along with the MIDO. His helicopter is a proven design. Everyone I've talked to that has flown one, likes them better than the Jet Ranger. The FH1100 systems are pretty much the same as the Jet Ranger except the 1100 is a few hundred pounds lighter. If you choose to go to school there I think you'll enjoy the experience.

Mike

Rogue,

I do not understand your not being able to talk to anyone at Van Nevel. I speak to them at least twice a week. Getting set up to go down and accept our machine and send two of my pilots through the factory checkout. Also sending a mechanic this spring. I'll ask George about answering his telephone. I could not find the court cases referred to, either. The IRS was not in on the so called "raid". That was just the media speculating. As far as I can find out, the Van Nevel operation is on going, it has had some growing pains, George has pissed off some people with his purchase of the TC. He does not get along with the FSDO. He does get along with the MIDO. His helicopter is a proven design. Everyone I've talked to that has flown one, likes them better than the Jet Ranger. The FH1100 systems are pretty much the same as the Jet Ranger except the 1100 is a few hundred pounds lighter. If you choose to go to school there I think you'll enjoy the experience.

Mike

I was scheduled to do my Instrument and CFII with them early last year, but a job change and other issues upset that. I found the lack of training materials a little uncomfortable, considering that VN provides "factory training". They did have some materials, but you would expect better. But that is just my opinion based of 30+ years in the industry.

I was scheduled to do my Instrument and CFII with them early last year, but a job change and other issues upset that. I found the lack of training materials a little uncomfortable, considering that VN provides "factory training". They did have some materials, but you would expect better. But that is just my opinion based of 30+ years in the industry.

You are right in the lack of training materials. George says he is working on that aspect. When you ask him about it he says that it flys so much like a 206 and the systems are so like a 206, that anyone with a few hundred hours should have no trouble. Still this does nothing to make you feel less nervous about strapping on a different airframe. Remember, he purchased a TC from the late 60's. The manuals and POH were not very extensive in those days. Call him he'll talk your ear off about his helicopter. He is a pilot himself with several thousand hours.

Mike

Parts Guy,

I have contacted some of the owners. They really like their FH1100. They say it is stronger than the 206, even with the old C18. Now it has the CB. The 206 is an ancient design. It has not had many changes over the years.

I also checked out the lawsuits. I found a couple in relation to the FH1100. I found 79 in relation to Bell Helicopter that are unresolved. I'm sure the other manufacturers have several against them, also. It seems to go with the territory.

You are very quick to assume that the tragic crash in Sept. was the fault of the helicopter. The last time I checked, the investigation was still ongoing. We need to wait and see what they come up with. I'm sure many factors were involved.

What parts are you referring to that can't be obtained? The owners said that the part situation was improving daily. George says that all the parts are now available.

The only disaster for Fairchild/Hiller, was politics. Ladybird Johnson on the board of Bell Helicopter was a disaster for them. The army chose the FH1100 over the 206, but politics had more weight.

Until George gives me some reason to think otherwise, I'm going to give his product a shot. He has always been forthcoming with information. He seems to me to be a straight up type guy, that will look you in the eye and tell you what he thinks. Visit his operation and check him out. He enjoys showing off his facility and he is passionate about his helicopter.

The MIDO has no problem with what he is doing. I called the manager at the MIDO. Now, if you call the FSDO you get some story about unapproved parts. The MIDO told me they had Van Nevel place a -V on the parts he was manfacturing and the FSDO says the TC does not address parts with a -V. Go figure.

All said and done, I think it is a good helicopter. We'll see about the support.

Mike

Bossman,

Wow. First let me step through it so there is no mistake,

1. Use the link :

http://www.clerk.co.escambia.fl.us/public_records.html

2. go to the bottom of the page and click accept

3. click court records

4. under last name/company enter van nevel

5. After entering this, all the court cases I mentioned appear on the next screen. Click on the red underlined case number in that column and some of the details appear. You can ignore Cedric Van Nevel, his son's speeding ticket. When you are through looking at that go back and put in "Helicopter Technology", same company, same people, more problems.

This is where you will find the court cases. To you and the other guy who posted they couldn't find them those comments seem pretty disingenuous. You obviously are computer literate and there is no rocket science here. Is it because of some ulterior motive perhaps, wanting people to believe what you implied (that they don't exist) and hoping they don't check for themselves?

Have you asked Mr. Van Nevel who Kenny Ashby is? Have you asked him who Anthony Urella is? Have you asked him who is Jim Pope? I think if you do then you should post Mr. Van Nevels answers for all of us to see. I'm sure I would be interested.

You want a opinion about Mr. Van Nevels business practices, see if you can find a guy by the name of Walter Hammermeister. Ask him about his buying experience. But wait, I think he's under a settlement agreement where he agreed not to say anything about it. That seems to be a pretty common thing for Mr. Van Nevel because it keeps people who know what happened from talking about it. In that case you might try a guy in Florida named Tom Ward. Oh darn, I think he's in the same boat, can't talk about it. Wonder what Mr. Van Nevel has to say about those two guys and why is he afraid of people with bad experiences from talking about it. Why don't you ask him to, in writing, waive any no-negative remarks provisions of any settlements he made and then go talk to those people. Not a chance he'll do that because he doesn't want them talking!

I'm naming names here because people were pretty quick to tear down the poster who said be careful. His/Her warning was justified whether there is a problem or not. Seems people are more interested in listening to the guy people are saying be careful of than they are in researching it. What kind of sense is that? Of course if you ask Mr. Van Nevel if he's a good guy he's going to say yes. Of course if you ask him if all parts are available he's going to say no problem. Duh! I'll bet you believe used car dealers too.

You seem to be pretty high on Mr. Van Nevel yourself, is it because you work for him or is it because you are so committed to his product that you're hoping the rumors are not true?

Do you really think that comparing Bell's lawsuits against Van Nevels is realistic. Bell is producing hundreds of civil and military helicopters a year and they are in continuous production. Try comparing Van Nevels against small helicopter companies like Schweitzer, Enstrom, Hiller and Brantly.

As for assuming the crash is the fault of the helicopter there is a saying, the facts speak for themselves. On other parts of this board people who knew the pilots stated it couldn't have been them, they were great sticks. But you are right we don't know. Mea culpa. Problem is, the helicopter was consumed by fire and in those cases, the actual cause will probably never be known. Its your life, if you want to think it was pilot error rather than mechanical then I hope, for your sake, you are right. But funny how you didn't address the loss of the repair station certificate and A&P license. If you had, you would have had to contrast the improper maintenance that led to the loss of his license to this latest accident. I think people should investigate that. Have you asked Mr. Van Nevel why he lost his repair station certificate and A&P? Perhaps you would like to post his answer.

Problem is, if you start posting the responses to all of these issues you'll start to see a common thread. Pope, Hammermeister, Ward, Urella, Ashby, FAA repair station certificate loss, personal A&P loss are specifics.

As for owners of course they love the performance. Your comment seems to revolve around the aircraft performance and not what any owners might have said about parts support. If you want to spend that kind of money on a chance, please feel free. Oh, by the way, did you know that they don't have FAA PMA which is Parts Manufacturing Approval for all the parts needed to make the helicopter? And did you know they don't have a Production Certificate to build new helicopters in part, because of that and because not all parts are available to build a complete aircraft. I could be wrong on that but ask the MIDO or ACO that question. And did your research look into what parts are made by third parties, i.e. parts not designed by him that are made by others, and how many of those parts are from companies no longer in existence or who won't make the parts anymore? I'd be asking those questions. Pull out the parts book, look at the list of vendor parts, pick out a few important ones and a few that are smaller and somewhat less significant. Ask about those. If you're going to spend 600+ thousand dollars and base your business on that product then I'd ask to see the latest purchase order or quote from those manufacturers and yes, he can hide the prices.

You know, if at the end of the day, I'm wrong, and believe me you can ask my girlfriend, she will be happy to tell you that happens all the time, then I'm wrong. But let me offer some humble advice. If you are going to spend that kind of money on buying a helicopter from a company in that kind of financial position (hasn't paid rent to the city in months), in that kind of legal position (numerous lawsuits plus a recent fatal accident that is no doubt going to result in one), in that kind of regulatory position (regardless of right or wrong, the FAA is apparently after him for something and who usually wins?), then I would make it a part of the written purchase agreement that:

1. He guarantees spares will be available for a period of not less than 5 years for all parts of the helicopter and that they will be FAA approved parts. I would also go for a price commitment on those because how are you gonna feel when he says he can get you one of those but you're the only one that needs it and so he has to tool up and make a minimum batch and you have to pay for all of it. He'll say he's still providing it he just is passing the cost along.

2. He guarantees you will not be AOG for any part longer than 60 days.

3. He commits that all third party design and built parts used on the helicopter you buy are all currently available and in production.

4. He provides a personal guarantee that if either 1 or 2 are not complied with that he will buy back the helicopter.

If you are going to run or operate a business based on anyones product these are pretty simple business protections any reasonable person would want. You claimed he said, "George says that all the parts are now available". Get it in writing. Protect yourself. Prove me wrong. Challenge him to write a letter to that effect and put it on his web site.

By the way, I really don't mean anything personal here. I'm sure you are a great pilot, a terrific American and an all around great person. I'm just trying to help so please don't be offended, take it for what its worth. Perhaps I'm someone who has seen something you have not recognized yet.

Edited by 67november
removed double quote

"This is where you will find the court cases. To you and the other guy who posted they couldn't find them those comments seem pretty disingenuous. You obviously are computer literate and there is no rocket science here. Is it because of some ulterior motive perhaps, wanting people to believe what you implied (that they don't exist) and hoping they don't check for themselves? "

whoa, easy killer. I clicked on official records instead of court records my bad. I did click on court records and looked at them.... uhh.... I guess call me disingenious again because I read them but I'm not sure what they mean? ( the dockets ) I'm not advocating the man, heck I've never even met him. I've only recently became aware that they were located near me and was interested in training there for that reason thats all.

PS - and thank you for your time as it helps me make a better decision about my future.

Edited by Rogue

Parts Guy,

I have done all the things you suggest. The purchase and warranty contract for the helicopters contains just about everything you talk about, including a 500 hour bumper to bumper. All parts are available and this is in writing. The 4 points you mention are part of the purchase agreement. Pretty standard stuff.

Gorge surrendered his repair station cert. because the FSDO did not need any other excuse to come down on him. They were in a pissing contest with the MIDO over the parts manufactured with the -V the MIDO had Van Nevel add to the part numbers. I don't know about his personal AP.

I took your advice and checked the other manufacturers you named. They all have lawsuits against them. All of them more than Van Nevel and with less settlements. By the way, most settlement agreements have a no disclosure clause. Even outside the helicopter world.

Yes, I do believe used car salesmen and everyone else until they give me reason not too.

I do not work for Van Nevel. I am buying one of his aircraft. I hope to purchase three more in 08. I am banking on George being able to deliver on his promises to me. If something happens and I find out he has been less than honest or tries to screw me, I'll be the first to eat crow.

I think that I told you about contacting the other owners and they told me the parts situation had been bad but was getting better. I have done extensive research on the FH1100 and can't find any outsource parts you are referring to. If it's the engine, then "duh". Most all parts are the same as the Blll. I asked George about what it will take to get into production on new VH1100s. He said the blades were the last hurdle. He acquired the tooling for those in August 07. I think he'll have a blade shop take the production of those. He has not decided yet.

As far as all the names you refer to, George won't comment either. I do not know.

I am not offended by your comments. I do consider the source and take them for what they are worth.

By the way I think I'm pretty good with a computer and can follow directions.

bossman

Parts Guy,

I have done all the things you suggest. The purchase and warranty contract for the helicopters contains just about everything you talk about, including a 500 hour bumper to bumper. All parts are available and this is in writing. The 4 points you mention are part of the purchase agreement. Pretty standard stuff.

Gorge surrendered his repair station cert. because the FSDO did not need any other excuse to come down on him. They were in a pissing contest with the MIDO over the parts manufactured with the -V the MIDO had Van Nevel add to the part numbers. I don't know about his personal AP.

I took your advice and checked the other manufacturers you named. They all have lawsuits against them. All of them more than Van Nevel and with less settlements. By the way, most settlement agreements have a no disclosure clause. Even outside the helicopter world.

Yes, I do believe used car salesmen and everyone else until they give me reason not too.

I do not work for Van Nevel. I am buying one of his aircraft. I hope to purchase three more in 08. I am banking on George being able to deliver on his promises to me. If something happens and I find out he has been less than honest or tries to screw me, I'll be the first to eat crow.

I think that I told you about contacting the other owners and they told me the parts situation had been bad but was getting better. I have done extensive research on the FH1100 and can't find any outsource parts you are referring to. If it's the engine, then "duh". Most all parts are the same as the Blll. I asked George about what it will take to get into production on new VH1100s. He said the blades were the last hurdle. He acquired the tooling for those in August 07. I think he'll have a blade shop take the production of those. He has not decided yet.

As far as all the names you refer to, George won't comment either. I do not know.

I am not offended by your comments. I do consider the source and take them for what they are worth.

By the way I think I'm pretty good with a computer and can follow directions.

bossman

Bossman,

Good luck! I've had my say and I appreciate hearing your side of things. I really hope it works out for you. As for your private request for me to reveal who I am lets just say that I have to deal with Mr. Van Nevel and some operators and it is not worth part of my business, even though its a very small part, being jeopardized. Backstabbing you might say but I would say its speaking the truth and not wanting to get in the gunsights of Mr. Van Nevel. Can you blame me? Maybe you can but trust me, from what I know I do not want to be there. In my defense, I have not written anything that is lie or offered anything other than good advice. I take it from your profile you can appreciate that coming from a 70's era slick and dustoff guy. I intended nothing but to inform and question. You will ultimately be the best judge, just hold off on that judgement for a while and see how things go. I wish you success.

Hi everyone...... I will be retiring from the AF in less than two years and I have been looking into becoming a helo pilot. I don't have any pilot training but I'm hoping to be finished training by the time I retire. I have a couple of places that I am really considering and I'm looking for some wise opinions. First, is this a career I should be looking into. I hear that there are plenty of jobs for helo pilots, but have also heard that's just stuff that the schools come up with to persuade us to go! Second, Van Nevel or SSH? Like I said I'm active duty and work M-F so I would need to place somewhat close. VN is just a hour away and the closest SSH is Jacksonville which is almost 5 hours! Also, I don't have a lot of out of pocket money and will be looking for loans. I will be able to pay around $10,000 and will need to finance the rest, any ideas here.

Thanks for helping out a want a be!

Shay

Hey Shay, I'm in the same boat as you I live in Crestview also. I don't know about Van Nevel as I've not been able to get anyone to return a phone call or email. I would say based on that only, that it don't look like their business is run very well if you can't get whoever is in charge of training on the phone after several tries and two messages left and an email sent. I did however talk to Helicopter Academy, and not only do they guarentee you a job he told me that if I got the money he'll put a bird in Pensacola for me so you might wanna check them out.