An SSH Student Finally Speaks

I have been lurking on this site along with JH picking up various pieces of knowledge and learning a lot from all you experienced aviators for the better part of 3 months now. I've always been interested in aviation, and I recently decided to look into my rotor wing cert. I found out about SSH and decided to attend due to the only fact that they're location was convenient to where I currently lived, and it did not require me to relocate. I knew full well they're reputation, and what I was getting myself into, and I can't explain it, but for some reason, I really did have some ominous feeling about going thru with it. I guess a 200K investment after interest with no guaranteed job offer will do that to somebody. Long story short, my life recently changed with a job offer in the FAA. I am considering taking it, so I called up SSH. Simply put, my ominous fears were realized. I have only attended 2 ground classes, that is it, and I was told that if I pulled out, the school would charge a 1,000 cancellation charge, on top of 10% of the tuition cost, which by the way amounts to 7,000 So I am not going to throw a temper tantrum, if anything I am in awe that people can do this to there fellow man. I am being charged 8 g's for attending 2 classes taught by an individual with less than 150 total heli hours himself. (So much for learning from an experienced pilot) That is the reality of this school. And the logic behind this maneuver is to discourage any "would be drop out's" from not cutting out under the reasoning "oh my god, 8 grand for nothing, I might as well stay and finish” This is a sheisty and disgusting tactic. You should only pay for services that are rendered to you. In closing, let my situation be something to learn from. This tactic, this school, is not fair nor just.

Another thing I noticed, how can this company provide jobs to 1700 students? (The current amount of attendee's) when the company currently only employs 500 ? lol.... do the math... Another FYI, I just checked with Robinson to find out details about there safety course and its availability, and found that they are booked solid until July of 08!! I find that a little scary for the mere fact that I imagine most of the attendees would be up and coming CFI'S? Hoping to sweeten up they're resume with that little $400 class. That (ssh) does not pay for by the way.

So I have finally concluded that the ominous feeling that I felt would be coming from the realization that I am embarking on a path shrouded in mystery and uncertainty (i.e. uncertainty of employment within SSH, and if not where to find work and where.) In a field that seems like it is about to be flooded with a bunch of under 500 hr cfi's starving for instruction work and turbine experience due to schools like SSH. Then the industry is ruined for everyone due to the saturation of pilots within the market, I wonder what that does to salaries, not to mention what about the IRAQ vets who will be returning soon. And who could argue that they should have first rights to available flight jobs after what they have been thru. So, in conclusion, I’m sorry if I’ve rained on anyone's grandiose parade, that was not, and is not my intention, but it just doesn't add up, and before anyone takes a leap of faith and loses 8k because they sign up with this school and discover that they’re being taught a ground class by a newbie inexperienced pilot, and the student is in fact teaching himself over the internet via the school's "distance learning program" that doesn't work correctly, than my post may be of some assistance.

Peace.

p.s if this situation (or anything similar) has happened to anyone, please speak up, because I wish I had someone like me tell of such a horror story instead of outside sources speculating. Although posts from the member fry, and various others have seemed to be very accurate.

The pool's full of sharks

Edited by clarity

I would stay and make their life miserable for at least 8 grand worth! Book a flight and don't show. Be late etc etc.

They are kind of putting it to you - unless this was all explained up front...

Might the Better Business Bureau come in to effect in any way?

I knew full well they're reputation, and what I was getting myself into, and I can't explain it, but for some reason, I really did have some ominous feeling about going thru with it.

So you knew you were walking into a scam, yet you followed through? If you knew "full well" Silver State's rep, then why in god's name did you sign that paper?

I am being charged 8 g's for attending 2 classes taught by an individual with less than 150 total heli hours himself.

The pool's full of sharks

The bottomline on Silver State: Easy to get in but expensive to get out.

A student better be absolutely sure he can go all the way...through the 200 hours of training and the 800 hours of CFI apprenticeship...to a paycheck as a helicopter pilot before signing up with SSH. If, after ten months at SSH, he doesn't go all the way he will have wasted nearly $200k (loan plus interest for 20 years) because there is nothing else he can do with that commercial pilot's license.

But...can anyone really be that sure when just starting out? That they will like flying that much, or be good enough at it to get a job? Or that they will be willing to re-locate for a CFI job, or live in Louisiana for that first turbine job?

So that makes SSH a very expensive roll of the dice.

Why take the chance! Go to a school where you pay-as-you-fly.

im sorry, but that is a hilarious story! no reason to feel bad OR to complain. you said yourself that you had done the research, knew the company's reputation, and still signed up. SO ......... laugh it off, do some training, and enjoy what you can! anyone ever thought of the whole SSH scam as a blessing in disguise? all these people are doing it, taking on ENORMOUS amounts of debt, and then plan to pay it off on 50 some odd thousand dollars a year? ever think, maybe they will not be able to do it, have to find a BETTER job, and leave more pilot openings? or that the training from SSH is going to make fully qualified pilots that much more in demand? just curious...

So you knew you were walking into a scam, yet you followed through? If you knew "full well" Silver State's rep, then why in god's name did you sign that paper?

My personal situation has changed, i recieved a very good job offer, that requires no outragous sum of money. In fact i will be paid for my training, in any event, i did do my research, a lot of it, but the reason i sighned was that i think one can go to this school and make it, if they are willing to relocate. If one does not procure a job with SSH, then time to pack up and move. And also, you never know how something is going to pan out untill you try. Nothing is 100% nothing is a safe bet, so i reasoned that i'd just do it and see for myself. And that i did. And now in an altruistic notion, i thought my experiance might better someone else's life.

im sorry, but that is a hilarious story! no reason to feel bad OR to complain. you said yourself that you had done the research, knew the company's reputation, and still signed up. SO ......... laugh it off, do some training, and enjoy what you can! anyone ever thought of the whole SSH scam as a blessing in disguise? all these people are doing it, taking on ENORMOUS amounts of debt, and then plan to pay it off on 50 some odd thousand dollars a year? ever think, maybe they will not be able to do it, have to find a BETTER job, and leave more pilot openings? or that the training from SSH is going to make fully qualified pilots that much more in demand? just curious...

GLAD MY SITUATION IS SOOO AMUSING TO YOU.

GLAD MY SITUATION IS SOOO AMUSING TO YOU.

Actually, your situation sucks...sorry that your worst thoughts about SSH came true. I almost joined their school but found that the negative far outweighed the positive and went elsewhere instead. However, I knew to follow the signs because of a point of view that was shared with me in a situation where I lost a substantial amount of money...

Some people spend tens of thousands getting an education and never learn and others invest tens of thousands in the stock market and never produce a return...I submit that these $8000 might be the best investment you've ever made...because for a mere $8000 you can learn from this mistake and this "education" will prevent future losses that could be worth much more than your current loss.

Whatever...it made me feel better when I did something stupid... ;)

Learn your lesson now and it will be a great investment into the school of "never get burnt again"...then your future endeavors will produce a return. You seem to have a positive attitude...keep that and move forward...

My .02 cents...

it does ammuse me... you KNEW it was a scam, and STILL did it.. we need to put one of those "heres your sign" signs on that one. there is no reason for anyone to say "wow man, your situation sucks, sorry to hear that" you should have never signed up since you knew it was crap....

First off, I must say to the original poster of this topic, you are an idiot. Don't go bashing a company that you signed up for just because you didn't read the contract. When you sign up, Silver State is not only paying for supplies like books that will be given to you right away up front, but they are taking your word that you will fill a spot in a ground class, and fill a spot for a CFI. So not only are the ground instructor and CFI being paid to teach you, but it takes a hundred other people behind them, including HR department, accounting, Insurance, managers, maintenance setting everything up for you, all because you decided you wanted to make a career out of flying helicopters. Yes it is very expensive. So are ALL OTHER FLIGHT SCHOOLS! And lets put it this way, there is no career in this country for a private helicopter pilot under a couple hundred hours. So unless you plan to do this for pleasure, your going to need your commercial/CFI. Silver States passing rate isn't perfect, but it is on par with the Aviation world. If you could really measure an individual passing rate for all aviation schools in the U.S., you can count on that it is in the 10-20%. That is just the way it is. But I can tell you something that would increase that figure. Idiots who don't sign up for something they do not intend to finish. People not motivated to work hard and make sacrifices in order to fly the necessary 2-3 times per week, and spend the hours studying at home. If you can't live up to that, then none of this business is for you. Stay out of it. Just because you couldn't hack the training, and it was too hard and much for you to understand, don't go whining about it looking for pity. SSH is the best paying job for new CFIs. Your lucky to make 10-15 dollars per flight hour anywhere else, when SSH pays flight, ground, and pre and post instruction. If you show motivation to be a CFI, and willing to work hard, I can assure you there is a CFI, and many others behind him, at your location willing to work hard for you.

it does ammuse me... you KNEW it was a scam, and STILL did it.. we need to put one of those "heres your sign" signs on that one. there is no reason for anyone to say "wow man, your situation sucks, sorry to hear that" you should have never signed up since you knew it was crap....

does it look like i was looking for sympathy to you man? no, actually the purpose and intent of this post was to HELP others, not generate a whoa is me response from random strangers.......... And what a sympathetic, person you are to laugh at another person's misfortune. Says loads about your personality and charachter. Who are you to pass judgement???? imma keep this clean dude, soo F it, your not even worth the anger, Why don't you keep your comments to yourself. seriously.

not generate a whoa is me response from random strangers.......... And what a sympathetic, person you are to laugh at another person's misfortune.

WHAT MISFORTUNE MAN!!!!! READ YOUR POST!!! your trying to give a "heads up" to people, because you made a dumb mistake? you yourself KNEW the company was a scam, and STILL signed the papers. I would be ashamed to even right that about myself.......

WHAT MISFORTUNE MAN!!!!! READ YOUR POST!!! your trying to give a "heads up" to people, because you made a dumb mistake? you yourself KNEW the company was a scam, and STILL signed the papers. I would be ashamed to even right that about myself.......

Be nice. Nobody is immune from falling for a sales pitch at some time in their lives...be it dot.com stocks, sub-prime mortgages or that kid saving for college who sells magazines door-to-door (I've got a lifetime of Sports Illustrated). The customer comes in contact with "the deal" only once but the salesman pitches it a hundred times and refines it a little bit more each time.

And those who fall for the pitch are, generally, as you say "ashamed" to say anything about having been taken in. An unscrupulous salesperson counts on the mark's embarrassment. Give the guy credit for being willing to share his experience.

I've been lurking and reading for a couple of months now, trying to learn all I can before making a decision. That was probably the most informative post about SSH that I've seen yet. THANKS CLARITY. I have a full time job and want to find training after hours and on weekends. SSH said they could accommodate me but I got the feeling they would tell me anything for the $$$. I live near Oakland and work in Sacramento (there happens to be SSH both places) If anyone has any suggestions for a school in this area it would be appreciated. I don't want to sign with SSH for lack of better choices. Thanks

I'm going to jump in here and thank everyone for there info about SSH. Especialy the bad experiances like the one previously shared. It's because of these that I did not pursue a giant mistake by getting involved with SSH. So thanks to everyone who shared either info or experiences,it saved a lot of money and heartache that would have resulted from that one major mistake.

TOAD

aright man, I guess I’m an idiot for trying to speak out and help other people,, I think your totally misinterpreting the intention of this post and attacking my personal judgment and intelligence for doing something against my better judgment. Your a piece of sh*t dude, seriously I’m trying to help others that would indebt themselves thousands of dollars to a sheisty endeavor, and instead of being applauded, I have you trying to blast me with your illogical reasoning. If you’re ever in Tampa FL message me and I’ll be glad to meet you and then you can get your mouth broken as you try to explain to me why I’m such an idiot.

alright... im sorry... :)

P.S. i never said you were an idiot. the WORST i said was that it was dumb to sign up for something you KNEW would be a scam.... as far as being out of line? i dont think i was.. i can have an opinion. and as far as coming to to Tampa FL so you can "break my mouth" while i try to explain, i would say that reminds me of kindergarten..... "im gonna beat you up for saying that!!! haha.. have a great day!

Edited by clay

aright man, I guess I’m an idiot for trying to speak out and help other people,, I think your totally misinterpreting the intention of this post and attacking my personal judgment and intelligence for doing something against my better judgment. Your a piece of sh*t dude, seriously I’m trying to help others that would indebt themselves thousands of dollars to a sheisty endeavor, and instead of being applauded, I have you trying to blast me with your illogical reasoning. If you’re ever in Tampa FL message me and I’ll be glad to meet you and then you can get your mouth broken as you try to explain to me why I’m such an idiot.

GROUP HUG

What really sucks about this whole thing is the poor guy is out 8 grand and he has no flight time to show for it. $8k is equal to about 30 hours at most any other flight school; he could have soloed and been well on his way to a PPL-H. :angry:

The lesson here is never get into a situation where you pay all your money out before you get to fly.

Pay as you go is a much safer option, you can always walk away! ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience with the fourm. You have probably helped save other people from a bad mistake.

My 2 c

RW