TigerTugsVOLO_VRHome200Frasca VRForum468Helicopter Academy
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Commissioned Army Officer to Aviation Warrant Officer

commission warrant officer woft revert resign commissioned ROTC flight school CW2

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#241 Luofynerd

Luofynerd

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Company working for:U.S. ARMY- AH-64D/E Technical Inspector

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:21

Awesome, I appreciate the info guys. Enjoy that leave JH!

I was selected in September 17, received my orders November 12thish, for a February 16 WOCS date. So from selected to rucker took me 3 months or so

#242 niner5

niner5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 14:39

During flight school would a student ever be permitted to leave for a weekend within a 200 mile radius of Rucker? I.e. Tallahassee

#243 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 14:56

During flight school would a student ever be permitted to leave for a weekend within a 200 mile radius of Rucker? I.e. Tallahassee

Absolutely, go to as many FSU games as you can :).
  • Dmurray and niner5 like this

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#244 Greekish

Greekish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 16:32

Have searched the forums and haven’t seen an answer. What’s the process for reverting to warrant as an Aviation RLO? Do I have to wait until my flight school ADSO is complete or can I initiate the process now as a lieutenant?
  • Drew likes this

#245 Drew

Drew

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Aviation
  • Company working for:Warrant Officer for US Army

Posted 07 February 2018 - 17:32

Have searched the forums and havent seen an answer. Whats the process for reverting to warrant as an Aviation RLO? Do I have to wait until my flight school ADSO is complete or can I initiate the process now as a lieutenant?

Have you contacted your Branch Manager? Ive heard both cases. Most common its with a couple years left on the ADSO as an O3

#246 METT-TC

METT-TC

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Retired Army...jeeps, running, peakbagging (hiking), and a bit of flying
  • Company working for:Air Methods

Posted 07 February 2018 - 17:40

Have searched the forums and haven’t seen an answer. What’s the process for reverting to warrant as an Aviation RLO? Do I have to wait until my flight school ADSO is complete or can I initiate the process now as a lieutenant?

Someone with the current might chime in, but you need to scrub any and all branch manager postings/docs on the Aviation Branch HRC page...the particular branch manager that DID have the info posted was the "Special Actions" officer. Might have changed over the last year. Whether they (HRC) will release early is quite a bit dependent on them (are they over or under strength one way or the other...).

Edit: Drew posted while I was researching / typing this up...

Edited by METT-TC, 07 February 2018 - 17:41.

#247 dawx26582

dawx26582

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:20

Hi All,

My packet is currently at the Jan board which is now Feb...fingers crossed.

For the most part just about any and every question I had prior to finding this thread has been answered, so legitimately a HUGE thanks to everyone here!

Biggest question left unanswered is the selling/saving leave days? I'm trying to save some money in the case my packet does get approved and I experience that 2-4 month gap in pay which seems to be standard for COs reverting to WOs. If you sell leave, is it mandatory you HAVE to buy it back upon conversion?  I know its technically better to take leave but as a 25A currently sitting in an S6 position for a deployed unit who will be going to JRTC in SEP...I'm certain I'll be working right up to the last minute.

Not looking to sell all my leave days, but since I've got a solid amount, any decent chunk of leave sold could help the pot for that pay gap. No point in selling if I HAVE to buy them back though. Tracking there will be a process to transfer what I don't sell/take after reverting. I'll be paying close attention to that process.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!  Good luck to anyone else at this current board and for all those working on their packets now!

#248 Drew

Drew

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Aviation
  • Company working for:Warrant Officer for US Army

Posted 12 February 2018 - 13:26

You do not have to by back your leave after you revert. Whatever route you decide to take, make sure you are extremely explicit in what you want. This gets jacked up for most people.

#249 dovq2011

dovq2011

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, backpacking, cigars, bourbon

Posted 12 February 2018 - 13:41

Hi All,

My packet is currently at the Jan board which is now Feb...fingers crossed.

For the most part just about any and every question I had prior to finding this thread has been answered, so legitimately a HUGE thanks to everyone here!

Biggest question left unanswered is the selling/saving leave days? I'm trying to save some money in the case my packet does get approved and I experience that 2-4 month gap in pay which seems to be standard for COs reverting to WOs. If you sell leave, is it mandatory you HAVE to buy it back upon conversion?  I know its technically better to take leave but as a 25A currently sitting in an S6 position for a deployed unit who will be going to JRTC in SEP...I'm certain I'll be working right up to the last minute.

Not looking to sell all my leave days, but since I've got a solid amount, any decent chunk of leave sold could help the pot for that pay gap. No point in selling if I HAVE to buy them back though. Tracking there will be a process to transfer what I don't sell/take after reverting. I'll be paying close attention to that process.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!  Good luck to anyone else at this current board and for all those working on their packets now!

Don't quote me but I don't think they'll let you sell your leave.  At least that's what I was briefed at Riley when I reverted.  Now, in my case, they took my leave, but didn't sell it.  55 days got lost in DFAS limbo for a good 6 months until I started jumping up and down, waving my hands like a mad man.  So watch out for that.

#250 dawx26582

dawx26582

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 15:55

Thanks for the input. Since reverting is quite the process I'll definitely have to stay on top of all the admin stuff.  Still waiting for the results to be published from the Jan(Feb) board so trying not to get too excited.

Even if not selected, I'll definitely have to pass all this info onto any future prospects. 

#251 In_to_av14

In_to_av14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 16:18

Hey everyone, 

So I just started looking at this process and wanted an opinion on what would look better for my packet to get selected.

Currently an 11A O2, finishing up my PL time this summer/early fall. I've been to Ranger, Airborne, Pathfinder and will most likely get Jumpmaster this spring. I've got a B.S in Computer Science and a M.S in Information Security & Assurance as well. If I'm looking to apply to the WO board would it be better to wait and apply for the Jan 2020 board after I would have 2 or possibly 3 OER's? or If my OER is very good with ACOM and Enumerated, along with my AER from IBOLC which is also very good, do you think that would be enough to help for a good packet? considering everything else is in order and my LORs are strong as well.

Thanks for the help everyone! 

#252 AngryJoe

AngryJoe

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 22:14

In_to_av14-

I would recommend applying sooner than later if you can. Several reasons to consider.

Your chain of command wont always support your transition out of the infantry. You will likely end up doing some staff time as you process your packet because otherwise you may be taking up a KD slot for someone who does not intend to be released from Infantry branch. You applying and not getting picked up as a 1LT has a lot less residual of an effect on your career than as a CPT.

From what Ive gathered, several people who have applied have been denied due to AFCS and age. Makes me think they (aviation branch) are looking for younger Soldiers with more longevity to contribute to the branch.

You already seem to have a pretty strong background. Do well on the SIFT, get some good LORs, and take every opportunity you can to work with aviation as an Infantryman. It was one of my selling points in my packet that I believe helped me get selected.

I can see the argument in waiting to apply. Keep in mind if you submit a packet and you dont get selected, it will also get looked at the following January, giving you more time to build it up.

I was selected this past board. If you want any assistance, let me know.

-Joe

#253 dawx26582

dawx26582

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:21

Hey everyone, 

So I just started looking at this process and wanted an opinion on what would look better for my packet to get selected.

Currently an 11A O2, finishing up my PL time this summer/early fall. I've been to Ranger, Airborne, Pathfinder and will most likely get Jumpmaster this spring. I've got a B.S in Computer Science and a M.S in Information Security & Assurance as well. If I'm looking to apply to the WO board would it be better to wait and apply for the Jan 2020 board after I would have 2 or possibly 3 OER's? or If my OER is very good with ACOM and Enumerated, along with my AER from IBOLC which is also very good, do you think that would be enough to help for a good packet? considering everything else is in order and my LORs are strong as well.

Thanks for the help everyone! 

Don't wait to apply.

OERs are something the board might look at but there is a plethora of other information contained in the packet that they look at and probably consider more (don't quote me, I have no clue, making an educated guess).  Waiting to apply to try and get stronger OERs--as mentioned--could be detrimental to your timeline.  AngryJoe hit all the right points though.

I'm a AD O3 (25A) who was recently selected in the Jan(Feb) board so if you need anything during the application process please let me know. I absolutely agree however that if its something you're really looking to do, apply sooner rather than later. Age and longevity could be a factor. Trying to explained why you waited "if you really wanted it" could be a factor.  You can always re-apply if not selected but waiting a year+ to try and build a stronger packet could hurt you in the long run if not selected multiple times. I think as a CO you get two or three looks?...someone else would need to clarify though.

If its something you really want to do, and have the ability to do, then do it. It's an entire lifestyle change from CO to WO so don't make the decision on a whim.

-Dave

#254 In_to_av14

In_to_av14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:28

AngryJoe & dawx26582 -

Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to wait at all but was told by a friend who recently did the CO -> WO transition that building better OERs might help. I will be applying next January and have started getting all the documents prepped. My biggest issue now is time frame. We are completing our ITC this spring so I won't have any real downtime until May.

Right now I'm planning on getting my Physical done the beginning of May, as well as taking the SIFT in May. As for the letters of Rec, how far out should I approach my CoC about this transition? I will still be in my PL position into the early Fall meaning I will probably need the LoR's prior to me moving out of my PL position. I just don't want to approach them too early and have them think I don't want to do my job. I absolutely love being a PL but it's everything after this Job that is not what I want and one of the many reasons why I have decided on this route.

#255 dawx26582

dawx26582

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:04

AngryJoe & dawx26582 -

Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to wait at all but was told by a friend who recently did the CO -> WO transition that building better OERs might help. I will be applying next January and have started getting all the documents prepped. My biggest issue now is time frame. We are completing our ITC this spring so I won't have any real downtime until May.

Right now I'm planning on getting my Physical done the beginning of May, as well as taking the SIFT in May. As for the letters of Rec, how far out should I approach my CoC about this transition? I will still be in my PL position into the early Fall meaning I will probably need the LoR's prior to me moving out of my PL position. I just don't want to approach them too early and have them think I don't want to do my job. I absolutely love being a PL but it's everything after this Job that is not what I want and one of the many reasons why I have decided on this route.

Medical I would definitely start as soon as possible just in case you need a waiver for whatever reason. It can take quite a bit of time to follow through everything medical related.

Building good OERs might help, but honestly better to apply with what you got as long as you have a good SIFT, summary, and LORs...and no deficiencies on any of your other paperwork. I have a friend that was a qualified non-select (CO) for this board due to deficiencies within his ORB and admin data.

Study for the SIFT, and take your time getting to the test. No need to rush it since you have time.  Just make sure to adhere to any board timelines/deadlines. Check how long it would take to schedule your test at your local testing center and backwards plan off that.

Best advice I can give is to come up on the net early with your CoC. I wouldn't try and war game it because surprises could lead to some burned bridges. Just be open and candid with them. Let them know that while you'll still fulfil your duties as a PL (and wherever else they slot you), you would like to submit a packet to the board. Hopefully you have some good leadership that will reciprocate your candidness.

Biggest thing is that its not a 100% guarantee you'll be picked up.  I definitely had some experience with this, and while I have a very supportive CoC, my last OER was tailored in a way that wouldn't have hurt me, but wouldn't have been the most beneficial as well. Kind of "taking one for the team" since they assumed I would be picked up.  Now that I've been selected its all good. Had I not been selected, wouldn't have killed me but...you get the point. Something I just had to deal with. You just have to expect this going into the process.

If you know its not the job for you now, it more than likely won't be the job for you later. Based on this thought, what the BN does with you now could not really matter in the near future, but the safe bet is to do whatever you can to be a part of the team and still show you're invested in the team as you're working through the selection process. Still take on extra duties and odd jobs and work your ass off until selected.

Hopefully this helps.

-Dave

#256 AngryJoe

AngryJoe

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 16:01

Couldnt have said it better than Dave. Come up on the net early. I was a pre-command AS3 and brought it up months before taking command. Was already selected for an HHC command after. My BC supported it and I still did a command. I was lucky, my previous BC and BDE CDR would have not supported it. Not a good place to be in knowing I would need an LOR from my BC for my packet. Again, Dave hit it on the head.

#257 In_to_av14

In_to_av14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 05:32

Thank you all for the comments and help. I've decided I'll be applying this January. I've gone ahead and typed up the memo's for resignation of rank as well as a conditional branch release but how far out did you send that up to HRC? And do I call my branch manager and let him know my intentions and send him the memo's once he's aware?

I'm just not sure how to go about getting the resignation and branch release memo signed.

#258 dawx26582

dawx26582

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Today, 07:05

Thank you all for the comments and help. I've decided I'll be applying this January. I've gone ahead and typed up the memo's for resignation of rank as well as a conditional branch release but how far out did you send that up to HRC? And do I call my branch manager and let him know my intentions and send him the memo's once he's aware?

I'm just not sure how to go about getting the resignation and branch release memo signed.

Just make contact with your branch manager. I shot a memo to mine in an email but they replied back with a 4187, which after getting filled out and sent in, came back signed by the branch chief a couple days later. I'm sure the process will be slightly different depending on the branch.

-Dave

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: commission, warrant, officer, woft, revert, resign, commissioned, ROTC, flight school, CW2

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

NFCVRForum200HomePrecisionVRForumHome200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200Spectrum_VRHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeGenesys VR Forum 200