Helo Crash Video

His name is Dennis Kenyon and he has performed that manouver thousands of times at airshows around the world. Unfortunately he was caught out by high density conditions in Utah a couple of weeks back. He wasn't hot-dogging. I think it would be fairer to say he mis-calculated wind and air density on the day. Here is his own account of what happened so you can judge for yourself, this is a copy/paste from page 4 of the same topic on Professional Pilots Rumour Network.

Hallo again Gentlemen,

First for Gary ... yes, the report you have is the one I would have posted on our site, but no doubt it is far too long. It will appear in the July edition of BLADES anyway for those wanting to read the full details.

Meantime to summarise.

Invitation to Utah to display and promote my scholarship DVD. Once there I was immediately advised of the density problem by the local pilots. I've flown at high DAs before, but nothing as severe as 5,700 airfield elevation and temperatures almost in three figures.

Accordingly, I arranged a longish practice, (over an hour) on the Schweizer 300C model at a 5,500 ft airfield and 80 degrees. I was accompanied by the operator and take off weight was around 1,850 lbs. I practiced all the manoeuvres to be flown the following day, after which I decided to modify the various height & speed 'Gate' numbers by 10 knots and 50 feet minimum display height.

I should have insisted on a local practice at West Desert airfield (5,700 ft), but circumstances made it difficult. It was decided to make the display late morning before the temperatures hit maximum.

In the event the operator and I were late arriving, (fuel) and the display was now scheduled for 13.00 hrs. To additionally offset the local DA, I decided to offload fuel to 10 gallons for the display, and also remove all surplus equipment, fire extinguisher, controls, GPS and headsets. In the event the most fuel that could be offloaded still left me with 30 gallons.

Since I was something of the centre of attention having travelled 5000 miles to display, I was unable to have my preferred five minutes 'quiet time' prior to my flight.

The light breeze was 10-12 knots, mostly down the runway, right to left as I faced the crowd line.

I commenced the display some 300 lbs less than in practice with a display area inspection circuit at 50 feet. Satisfied, I settled on the tarmac runway to commence the standard opening 'pirouette' I was actually surprised at the performance available at the lighter weight and completed my usual five pedal rotations with the left skid tip in contact with the tarmac.

I pulled aft cyclic and collective to lift into the rearward climbing spiral and once again, I had sufficient power to perform the nil-translational lift, out of ground effect manoeuvre.

I continued the manoeuvre to 300 feet and pulled back away from the crowd to position for the fast run-in along the 'B' axis back toward the crowd.

I'd made quite a few small mistakes in my planning, the fuel, the practice venue, no thinking time and doing my practices with the operator on board, but as I commenced the run in I made the major mistake that was the cause of the accident. I had drifted some 100 yards downwind to the crowd's left which required a more acute angle 'run-in' and a greater turn in the 270 degree wing-over. The turn would now require perhaps 300 degrees.

For some reason, and I now think I was lulled by what I thought seemed a fairly normal performance, I launched myself straight into 'display mode' and failed to run in at the 50 feet I had decided and neither did I reach the higher 'gate' speed before commencing the cyclic 'pull-up' for the 270 degree wing-over. Looking at the video, I can see that I was losing height in the turn more rapidly than normal and in making the longer turn, I had lost even more height.

However, even in the steep descent, at no stage did I think the manoeuvre was going wrong, until the skids actually made contact. I didn't make any changes to either the collective or cyclic.

On impact the cabin filled with desert dust and for a moment I wasn't aware I was almost inverted. I spent quite a few seconds trying to locate the fuel boost pump switch, and having stopped it running, I looked for the master switch. I tried several before I found the right one, but thinking now, it would have helped if the switch was more prominent or coloured red, rather like the Enstrom. I never did locate the fuel cock and realising that all my limbs were mobile, I released the safety straps and scrambled clear of the wreck.

It says a great deal for the crashworthiness of the little Schweizer 300 that I wasn't badly injured or worse. And of course if I had been thinking properly, I'd have realised the master switch would have stopped the fuel pump anyway.

So the main reason for the accident was my failue to make sufficient allowance for the temperature and altitude conditions, and while I had been well aware of the density, I wasn't nearly aware enough and I didn't stick to the speed & height changes I'd decided on.

I believe now that had I stuck exactly to my changed height & speed display numbers, I would probably have completed the wing-over manoeuvre safely as I have at least a thousand times. (actually a lot more)

The other factor was having to make a longer turn at the top of the manoeuvre, which in normal density conditions would not have presented a problem.

Anyway, the above is the abridged accident report, and as is often the case, my accident was triggered by a series of poor decisions, but nevertheless it was the density altitude that actually nailed me.

I'm sure I'll meet many of you in the coming months, and will be able to amplify some of the above aspects in conversation.

Thanks again for the many kind and encouraging words posted here. They are more than appreciated.

Best wishes & safe flying to you all.

Dennis Kenyon.

For all of You New and Up & Coming Helo Pilots, this "IS" hot dogging! There is absolutely "NO" reason to fly and act this way! Only 3 factors govern helicopter performance. Know them, use them prior to every T/O & Landing. To fly this way at that field elevation and temperature and say you underestimated wind and DA is inexcuseable. Why do Airshows in helicopters and demonstrate this behavior? Stick to your procedures and let nothing distract you! Fly a mission with a purpose and by basic techniques! I am glad that Dennis survived and is OK, God Bless him. Fly Safe, Mike

For all of You New and Up & Coming Helo Pilots, this "IS" hot dogging! There is absolutely "NO" reason to fly and act this way! Only 3 factors govern helicopter performance. Know them, use them prior to every T/O & Landing. To fly this way at that field elevation and temperature and say you underestimated wind and DA is inexcuseable. Why do Airshows in helicopters and demonstrate this behavior? Stick to your procedures and let nothing distract you! Fly a mission with a purpose and by basic techniques! I am glad that Dennis survived and is OK, God Bless him. Fly Safe, Mike

So if the experienced pilot that makes a mis-calculation after years of safe flying and promoting safe flying, he should then be tagged a hot-dog?

Dear Darren, my point was not to "Tag" anyone, especially Denny. I was pointing out to new and low time pilots that if they fly this way it is not safe or purposeful no matter what you call it. I also do not see how this type of air show flying promotes safety and how after a crash you can call it so. This and other sites about helicopter aviation influence many people. We are all human and have made errors and it could happen to any of us in the future but you will not see me of 40yrs experience in helos and 22,000+ landings flying anything but basics in a helo. I also promote safe flying by demonstrating this at all times and discussing/teaching this. In Oral discussions/testing, I will always ask a helo pilot what 3 factors govern helo performance. It will surprise you how many can not answer correctly and show that same lack of understanding during helo operations. "No Tagging", just best, safe flying to All! Mike

I was pointing out to new and low time pilots that if they fly this way it is not safe or purposeful no matter what you call it.

I hear ya, I would also hope/assume that most if not all low time pilots know that. If they think otherwise then they have no place flying anything other than an RC!

When will a heli ever "need" to do a flip? Right, never. So in that video he was "hot-dogging"

I would put this guy in the same category as the likes of the Blue Angels, yet I have never heard anyone speak of those guys with anything other than pride and awe. Do you see those guys as hot-dogs?

Yes.. you go to an air show to see a "show". Or someone "showing off". Its nothing personal, but if you are doing an manuver that is out side the "norm" for manuvers, you ARE hot-dogging.

People dont go to a freestyle motocross event to see riders ride motorcyles over bump's, they wanna see a show. They wanna see stunts and tricks.

People dont go to an air show just to see aircraft flying around... they wanna see a show.

Yet another crash while hot-dogging. 300 or 300CBI not sure which. Unbelievable.

video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB864eJxdQ

Richard

http://heli-safety.com

http://heli-wear.com

C'mon, let's get real. The guy wasn't "hot dogging", he was performing at an air show. I'm not a

big fan of helicopter aerobatics, but, hey, it's his helicopter. Do you guys really think student

pilots need to be reminded not to go out and do barrel rolls in a R-22? Do airplane

students watch the Blue Angels and then do hammer heads with a 172? No.

C'mon, let's get real. The guy wasn't "hot dogging", he was performing at an air show. I'm not a

big fan of helicopter aerobatics, but, hey, it's his helicopter. Do you guys really think student

pilots need to be reminded not to go out and do barrel rolls in a R-22? Do airplane

students watch the Blue Angels and then do hammer heads with a 172? No.

Helonorth, --students and other pilots see a S/H-300 doing this and yes it is exciting and they do need to be taught by their Instructors what to do and not do, especially "Not Doing" what they see others doing! Hey, someone already thinks Denny is in the same category as the Blue Angels, what perception is that? A pilot in a S/H-300, the same category as a precision military flight team that is highly trained and qualified and flying aircraft that can take the stress and not certified Normal Category! Do you think anyone on the Blue Angels ever considers DA or has a team briefing before their flights? Everyone be safe and know your performance factors for every flight! Mike

Edited by Mikemv

Apperently there are a few different definitions of hot-dogging here. I always thought

hot-dogging= showing off?

Then by your definition the blue angels are showing off...

There is a difference between "showing off" and flying a demonstration in an airshow. For the record, Dennis Kenyon has more hours than any blue angels pilot and the blue angels have crashed too. So have the thunderbirds. My point is that an airshow demonstration does not always = hot dogging. Doesn't mean anybody else should be performing those maneuvers, but it also doesn't mean it's hot dogging.

Hovergirl, I completely agree with you.

Helonorth & Photoflyer, That's exactly what I was trying to get at.

Mikemv, I really don't think you're giving this guy the type of credit he deserves. I gotta tell you, I hope to be as safe a pilot as Dennis throughout my career. Not only do I think he's in the same category as the Blue Angels, he may even be better!!! Just because they're military trained doesn't necessarily make them any better or more precise than someone that isn't who has as much experience and practice. And, if you read through the topic on PPRUNE that I linked to in my first post, you'll see that Dennis states that if he ever thought that he was putting his aircraft through any undue stress that he would stop immediately, or something to that effect.

To all who have supported Dennis in this string of post, I truly do not mean anything against him personally and was sincere when I wished him well and no harm. It is difficult to have everyone say how good and safe he is and watch the video of him crashing. I have experienced some pilots and there egos and desires to show others how good/cool they are and some of them are dead and have killed passengers with them. After the tragedies, their pilot friends always say what a great pilot they were. My previous post was not about military vs. civilian but about pre-flight structure and approaches to a demonstration plus structural integrities. This will be my last post in this series and again I wish Dennis well, many hours of great demos and a long life. Sincerely, Mike

To all who have supported Dennis in this string of post, I truly do not mean anything against him personally and was sincere when I wished him well and no harm. It is difficult to have everyone say how good and safe he is and watch the video of him crashing. I have experienced some pilots and there egos and desires to show others how good/cool they are and some of them are dead and have killed passengers with them. After the tragedies, their pilot friends always say what a great pilot they were. My previous post was not about military vs. civilian but about pre-flight structure and approaches to a demonstration plus structural integrities. This will be my last post in this series and again I wish Dennis well, many hours of great demos and a long life. Sincerely, Mike

I'm seeing a lot of backpedaling here. In no uncertain terms, in your original post to this thread, you called this performance "hot dogging". OF COURSE it's hot dogging - it's an airshow performance for crying out loud - by someone that I'd be happy to fly with any time.

That's the nature of airshow flying, and every year, more than a couple highly capable pilots get caught out by close-to-the-limits flying for whatever reason. Since the dawn of Air Shows, some pay dearly - sometimes with their lives. But- they choose to do this - and they don't deserve to be slammed for flying outside of the envelope that many of us (including me) find comfortable.

If student pilots are getting ideas from this kind of flying, I would strongly encourage them to go take up pipe fitting or stenography or something... IOW, a trade that doesn't require common sense.

Dave Blevins

Hovergirl, I completely agree with you.

Helonorth & Photoflyer, That's exactly what I was trying to get at.

Mikemv, I really don't think you're giving this guy the type of credit he deserves. I gotta tell you, I hope to be as safe a pilot as Dennis throughout my career. Not only do I think he's in the same category as the Blue Angels, he may even be better!!! Just because they're military trained doesn't necessarily make them any better or more precise than someone that isn't who has as much experience and practice. And, if you read through the topic on PPRUNE that I linked to in my first post, you'll see that Dennis states that if he ever thought that he was putting his aircraft through any undue stress that he would stop immediately, or something to that effect.

Better than the Blue Angels....hmmm, you are FUNNY!. You must be new. The point at you are missing is that the military demonstration teams have about 60 YEARS of experience of how to train, prepare, plan and execute aerial demonstrations in aircraft that are MADE to perform these manuevers. How many civilian flight schools are teaching helicopter aerobatics? Does the military train pilots to perform helicopter aerobatics? I'll help you here, NONE AND NO. I really don't think you understand the military demonstration teams, and I think it's clouding your judgement of this matter.

And as far as putting the aircraft through any "undue stress", I say BS. Does Schwitzer authorize aerobatics in the H300's RFM? Does DK have an endorsement deal with Schwitzer? Now, there are aircraft out there that can physically perform aerobatics. But they were not built for them, and performing aerobatics in them shortens their component life or condems the airframe immediately. And yes, there is an exception here and there. Modified and experimental class Bo105s can do this, usually flown by highly trained pilots from the German armed forces.

In closing, I recommend that you look to other pilots to look up to and hold up as examples of a safe pilot. Look to the pilot with years of experience and thousands of hours of doing his job and doing it safely by the book. I respect the EMS, GOM or military pilot who has done his job safely and professionally over the long haul. And I think you will too once you've been in this business for a few years.

Dennis Video Link

Dennis is RAF trained so I think he has a pretty good knowledge of flight. He also must have a pretty good/knowledable Hughs mech to keep his bird in the air all these years.

I hear the proceeds for the DVD is to help with the flight scholarships he is giving.

Thanks for setting me straight I'm sorry that I thought aerobatic flight in a piston helicopter at low altitude was "hot dogging" , what was I thinking.

By posting the initial topic video, I meant nothing against him personally - just sharing the video with my fellow pilots, If I flew into the ground after a wing-over manuever at low altitude and someone said I was "hotdogging" I'd kind of expect it. It's just a term - get over it. The video speaks volumes. That is NOT SAFE FLYING. Thank god nobody was killed.

Richard

I believe the offense taken by some, is the fact this guy is a military trained fixed wing pilot, world champion heli demo pilot, and flight instructor in multiple heli's with almost 40 years in the air and more than 10 thousand hours of flight time. He is not a low time CFI saying "Watch this!!!"

P.S. Bayou, you forgot to have respect for the "Real" test pilots who help certify what we fly. Also utility, fire, and ag. With out the ag guys, both fixed and rotary, our food supplies would be different.. All these jobs are important in our current society.

Well Bayou06, it's a good thing we have "Southern Baptist Minister" type people like you to speak the absolute truth on everything and to detract from other people's opinions & knowledge by telling them they "must be new".

There's something about a tone like yours that causes people's brains to stop listening as soon as you begin to speak. I'm sure you've found down through the years that when you use that tone, people immediately begin to argue with you but almost straight away shut down from the conversation when they realize that arguing is futile as you are talking AT them, not TO them!! You'll find a little bit of humility causes minds to open to your opinions.

So, in short, you think that Dennis' 40 odd years of experience counts for nothing if it's not backed by the 60 years experience of some military organization? Interesting. Keep in mind that the Blue Angels and others like them get it wrong sometimes too.

That is NOT SAFE FLYING. Thank god nobody was killed.

Worldcrime, are you referring to people on the ground here? Yes thank god nobody was killed, but when an air show is set up & organized properly like Dennis' nobody on the ground should or will be at risk.

Great post Mike!! We need more people like you willing to take an active interest in us "up and comers". Reading your post makes me remember our flight from Naples to Sun Valley last year. I still remember not to over grip the cyclic thanks to you (I won't go into it here) :unsure: .

I believe the offense taken by some, is the fact this guy is a military trained fixed wing pilot, world champion heli demo pilot, and flight instructor in multiple heli's with almost 40 years in the air and more than 10 thousand hours of flight time. He is not a low time CFI saying "Watch this!!!"

P.S. Bayou, you forgot to have respect for the "Real" test pilots who help certify what we fly. Also utility, fire, and ag. With out the ag guys, both fixed and rotary, our food supplies would be different.. All these jobs are important in our current society.

Mechanic,

I didn't mean to exclude an area of our industry. The pilots who fly utility, fire and ag day in and out safely are pilots we can admire. My point being, I think that pilots should admire the professionals who have put their time in and done it safely over the years. Personally, I just don't find a stunt pilot as a role model. I admire the guy who gets it done in both good and bad conditions.

Great post Mike!! We need more people like you willing to take an active interest in us "up and comers". Reading your post makes me remember our flight from Naples to Sun Valley last year. I still remember not to over grip the cyclic thanks to you (I won't go into it here) :unsure: .

Ditto. Not about the cyclic thing; that I have no idea what you are talking about. How's the heat treating you these days? Your phone is going to ring about now...