Dear Mr. Robinson

Hedge36

Please see fit to build a version of the R22 for tall guys. Factory bubble windows are swell, but an extra inch in the door would go a long way toward accommodating my shoulders and alleviating the pain in my lower back.

Your pal,

SY

........and the response..........

"Dear Mr. Yeager:

Fly the R44.

Regards,

F. R."

RHC had talked about a "R22 Delta" 7-8 years ago that would have been a bit wider, heavier stainless steel blades, with a few other tweaks. But the R44 really caught on and and those plans were nixed. The R22 will see (or is already seeing) the same fate as the Cessna 152. The 172 [or R44] is such a better platform for training, it will replace it's more economical predecessor in the interest of safety.

The R22 will see (or is already seeing) the same fate as the Cessna 152. The 172 [or R44] is such a better platform for training, it will replace it's more economical predecessor in the interest of safety.

If that happens, you'll see a bunch of new 300 schools. Schweizer sure would be happy to have the R22 go bye bye.

Unless the cost of the 44 per hour can be dropped, i just don't see how people could afford over 100 k to train, it is already too high at 60-70 k.

Please see fit to build a version of the R22 for tall guys. Factory bubble windows are swell, but an extra inch in the door would go a long way toward accommodating my shoulders and alleviating the pain in my lower back.

Your pal,

SY

Just go fly a 300/269, better aircraft anyway... B)

Just take the doors off, you can always wear a jacket

I think I've done more Xcountry time without the doors than with them but it doesn't get that cold in Tucson.

Edited by IFLYEVERYTHING

Oh, I see. Where are you now?

Flying with Midwestern Helicopters in Kenosha, WI. It's a small but very well-run outfit and my instructor is a top-notch Air Cav driver. My hourly rates are lower than what I was paying at Bristow, that helps :D

Unless you're trying to go somewhere other than in the pattern. :P

Funny you should say that. I did a cross-country yesterday and rarely got more than 70 knots without some effort. I wicked her up to 90 for a while but it felt like I was just burning gas without a good reason. 70 knots was pretty normal in the 300 and didn't feel like much effort.

I will never, ever, like the cyclic on the Robbie and am particularly nervous about instructing in it (having to grab at the cyclic to correct/save the ship). I guess having more than 10 hours in the bird will help with that :D If only I could fly it without the governor...

Add a heavier, fully articulated, 3 bladed system and get rid of the red line on the MAP and the R22 would be the trainer it needs to be.

There's a red line on the MAP gauge???

Hello Hedge36...

Did the outfit in Kenosha lose a R44 last month? I heard someone in Kenosha took up some sky divers and then went river running only to snag some wires. Heard he lived though. That all true? Roger still over there as a DPE?

Flying with Midwestern Helicopters in Kenosha, WI. It's a small but very well-run outfit and my instructor is a top-notch Air Cav driver. My hourly rates are lower than what I was paying at Bristow, that helps :D

Hello Hedge36...

Did the outfit in Kenosha lose a R44 last month? I heard someone in Kenosha took up some sky divers and then went river running only to snag some wires. Heard he lived though. That all true? Roger still over there as a DPE?

It was July 4th. I heard from Chris that the guy went up the river and got snagged... the NTSB report doesn't elaborate much in it's prelim assessment. From what I understand that same guy is running a single-ship CFI operation on the other side of the airfield now :D

I don't think I've met Roger yet, but as far as I know he's still the DPE.

+1

6'4" and R22 do not mix. Doors on or doors off... we're talking headset on ceiling.

• 2 months later...

They're not built for beauty, they're built for light weight and functionality.

Later