Stirring the pot

Hi everyone .. I have now 13.1 hrs now .. Still fighting to hovering issues .. But loving every minute of it .. :D

Oh ! THAT kind of pot stirring ! I am soooo much better at the other kind !

I remember having 13 hours, I think it was in 1989, but I remember it ! Just realize you are not doing anything wrong...you just arent feeling the ship move and reacting fast enough. The faster the reaction time, the smaller input you need to correct the movement...took me awhile just to realize that!

Have a great time learning to hover, you'll soon forget how hard it was to learn!

Good luck, Goldy

I remember the first time I held a hover for more than 10 seconds. My instructor stopped trying to help me, and I had never been so damn stiff in my life. He told me relax. I relaxed, and it was like one second I was fighting a bull, and the next moment I just got it. I remember him saying "You're doing the hover. All yourself!"

Oh how I sometimes miss learning all that stuff for the first time. First auto, settling with power, run on landing, sloped and confined.

...only sometimes.

You will get it, and then you'll tell yourself "Ohhh, so THAT'S how you do it.."

Edited by Chopperjess

I hope you get this before your next lesson!

EYES OUTSIDE EYES OUTSIDE EYES OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you find yourself loosing control YOU ARE PROBABLY LOOKING AT THE GROUND WITH OUT EVEN NOTICING!!!! Trust Me! One minute it will be smooth and the next it falls apart. When it falls apart take note of where you are looking and it will probably be the ground in front of the chopper.

EYES OUTSIDE!!!! Focus out in front of the helicopter.

Good Luck

EYES OUTSIDE!!

Edited by CFIAP5544

Haha, we've all been there! I just got back into helicopters after a 4 month break saving up money. Strapping on a 300 for the first time was interesting and pretty nearly felt like my first day all over again. Another key, I think, is to not consciously think about the control inputs. Just let your hands and feet do what they want. They're probably pretty close to being right at this point.

Oh ! THAT kind of pot stirring ! I am soooo much better at the other kind !

I remember having 13 hours, I think it was in 1989, but I remember it ! Just realize you are not doing anything wrong...you just arent feeling the ship move and reacting fast enough. The faster the reaction time, the smaller input you need to correct the movement...took me awhile just to realize that!

Have a great time learning to hover, you'll soon forget how hard it was to learn!

Good luck, Goldy

i expected no less from you goldy ... Been lurking on vertical for over a year . in that time i have enjoyed your comments serious and other.. lol

As soon as i think i am getting things under control my cfi gives me some new things to work on . Nick is a great though takes my goofs in stride.. lol Did alot better today . I did note everytime i was over controling i was looking just infront of skids.

Thanks for all your wisdom and help everyone.. :D

Did anyone mention EYES WAY OUT IN FRONT already? :P

Enjoy!!

Yeah eyes outside really does make everything easier. Its just kinda hard to make yourself stay looking way out. But, once you get it figured out, it will be a natural reaction. :)

If I may add, get distracted. It takes your mind off of being stiff and allows you to relax. I started singing a "Wierd Al" song. Got to hovering pretty well that afternoon-kept it in the county.

I know some will disagree, but give it a try.

Later

I got 15.3 showing on logg book now. Wow today was very windy.. Just when i was starting to relax a bit day like today tense me up. I needed a football field to hover in this wind . very depressing day... back to books for the night and go at it again tomorrow.

If I may add, get distracted. It takes your mind off of being stiff and allows you to relax. I started singing a "Wierd Al" song. Got to hovering pretty well that afternoon-kept it in the county.

I know some will disagree, but give it a try.

Later

I had a friend that earlier the week I was going to do my pattern solo, who was being a dork and for some reason he had started singing the oscar meyer weiner song. For whatever reason, the damn song got stuck in my head.

The day of my first ramp solo/pattern solo, I was so incredibly nervous. When I did my hovering and a pattern, I sang that stupid song outloud. Made me relax, because it gets reeeealllly quiet in that helicopter on your first few solos.

Pick a better song though than the oscar meyer weiner song, haha.

that should get some crazy looks from my cfi.. But i will try tommorrow and ee if that helps me .. dif a diferent song though... lol maybe tainted love lol.. :P

Just and up date started doing hovering auto's and straight in auto's today. Max performance take off and all the fun stuff .... total time 19.1 -3.8 in the sim and some ferry time in the r44 . ;)

• 3 weeks later...
HEY JUST UPDATING LOGGED MY FIRST 0.9 PIC SOLO TODAY YEAH..... TT 29.5

Congratulations Chaz! Keep up the good work. It's all worth it. :D

Kelly

• 3 weeks later...