Enstrom F-28S

adam32

Looks like a stretched F28 with regular curved skids...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Enstron-F28...%3A1|240%3A1318

yeah I saw that Listed last night.wonder what the story is behind it.

it is interesting.

can't say I have ever heard of and F-28S

Me thinks it may be a TH28, turbine?? or Turbine 280 model, esp since this one looks to have 280 in the tail number.

Click the E tab, then click Enstrom, I tried to link direct to Enstrom, but it won't open the way I wanted it to.

FAA Enstrom Type Cert link

Well, bidding ended without a single bid. Damn shame cause I have so much extra room in my garage to clutter up with useless fuselages.

I searched the FAA site, but still never found an "S" model. Pretty unique ship at least. Anyone know someone that works for Enstrom? I would love to get more info on the model..

Goldy

Goldy or anyone else who likes talking helicopters,

If you really want to know more, I have a friend in California who is an Enstrom GURU! he has been around Enstrom since before Rudy started building the first one. haha. His name is Cameron and he owns Bay Area Helicoptours out of San Francisco. Insanely nice guy that will talk to you about helicopters all you want. give him a call and you will have a new friend in the industry and a great resource!

Cameron

Bay Area Helicoptours

www.bayhelicoptours.com

Clay

Edited by clay

Hi

I have been told by our local Enstrom guru that this was a one off turbine ship, and not built by Enstrom. It was built by a family in New Jersey, and was built prior to the 480B concept come to fruition. Our guru actually saw it fly back when!

It had a Allison C-18 that was rearward mounted with the compressor intake facing toward the tail boom. The front cabin and tail boom were F28, the mid-section was a complete fabrication. Were the original recip engine lived, a side to side baggage compartment was installed, with the wooden floorboard that can be clearly seen in one of the pictures. In that same picture you can see the idler pulley that linked the turbine to the drive system.

This was a one off...sadly it looks like it was sent out to pasture for salvage!

Regards,

IFlySky5

Hi

I have been told by our local Enstrom guru that this was a one off turbine ship, and not built by Enstrom. It was built by a family in New Jersey, and was built prior to the 480B concept come to fruition. Our guru actually saw it fly back when!

It had a Allison C-18 that was rearward mounted with the compressor intake facing toward the tail boom. The front cabin and tail boom were F28, the mid-section was a complete fabrication. Were the original recip engine lived, a side to side baggage compartment was installed, with the wooden floorboard that can be clearly seen in one of the pictures. In that same picture you can see the idler pulley that linked the turbine to the drive system.

This was a one off...sadly it looks like it was sent out to pasture for salvage!

Regards,

IFlySky5

Wow, thats pretty cool, thanks for the info!

Looking at the pics, it looks like there are two of them also...?

Hi

I've been intrigued by what our local Enstrom guru had to say about this mutant...so I looked around here on the net and found something that completely contradicts what I was told about this aircraft.

So I took my new found evidence to him. He went on to tell me that Enstrom did in fact produce this aircraft, and that the other non-Enstrom was indeed not the ship that was being offered in auction on Ebay. The other privately produced turbine does/did exist and had a very similar appearance, which was a cause to his confusion between the two! Along with the less than ideal images...

Any way here is what I could find out!

It is a Enstrom 280L Hawk

Only one flyable aircraft was produced, another was a proof of concept mock up (Which I believe is the ship that was offered in auction, I say this because the flying ship had true Enstom landing gear and this one has tubular gear) The rear cabin doors are tracked and actually slide open on the flying ship...this one doesn't appear to have those tracks and leads one to believe it is the POC mock up.

Any way!

Here is a pic of her flying...back in 1978!

enstrom_hawk.gif

Regards,

IFlySky5

Edited by IFlySky5