Hobbs?

DeLtaFoxY

On the 206 you have the maint. hobbs and then the collective hobbs. You bill off of the collective hobbs. When the collective is raised the hobbs is activated. My answer is the R44. Hope this helps.

Calvin?

The hobbs meter will start at different times in different aircraft, no matter if it's a turbine or not. For instance, I flew a schweizer that didn't turn on until the aircraft left the ground(squat switch on the landing gear). Another schweizer I flew started the hobbs on a transmission pressure switch.

I'm not sure when the hobbs activates on the 206 I fly, since we track actual flight time (takeoff to landing), and not hobbs time.

Edited by PhotoFlyer

It is not a requirement by the FAR's to have a Hobbs meter. Just that you track flight times in a manner acceptable to the Administrator. I have seen helicopters that have no hobbs meter and the pilot records all the times manually. Helicopters with just a hobbs meter connected to the collective and those with a collective hobbs meter and a hobbs connected to either the master switch or an oil pressure switch.

I have also seen companies that will have the pilots record all pertinent times, but still have a hobbs meter install. Hobbs meters have been know to fail. It has been my experience that the hobbs meter will over time be more accurate than all the pilots flying that machine. Not due to any incompetency on the pilots' part. More due to differences in watches, rounding methods, etc.

Here's a question to consider. All the wheeled helicopters I have dealt with have a collective switch on the maintenance hobbs. Maintenance times in the FAR's are wheels off to wheels on. So shouldn't the hobbs meter switch be on a landing squat switch?

DL

What margin of errors were you getting ?, due to? antenna sighting, shielding due to low level, or poor GPS unit performance

It "pings" once a minute to a satellite, then bounces back down to Canada, is processed, then goes over the internet to our company's op center, is processed through the company's software, etc.

So, any error in this process screws everything up. It was usually short by 0.1 every other or third time.

It was a good idea, but it just didn't work.

Really smart would be to bill based on a hobbs tied to the master switch!

Goldy,

Actually one should have it tied to the coffee pot. That way you can log the time spent thinking about flying!!!

Rotorrodent