How much does this affect off shore work

ridethewind

I came across and artical today that said "President Barack Obama announced plans today to open vast new areas of U.S. coastal waters to offshore drilling for oil and gas" it said if it were to happen that it wouldnt begin for years, I havent started my training yet but by then off shore work could be in my scopes. My question is how noticable will this be in the off shore job market, will there only be a few more jobs or is this something that could potentally double the amout of off shore work, also with the oil companys backing this play how good of a chance do you think it will happen, i assume this guys can flex one muscle and get it dont if they want.

here is the whole artical

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/obam...illing/19421344

In the short term, it will have no effect at all. It will take years to get ramped up to do any drilling off the east coast. It will be easier to move into Florida waters, but that will also be somewhat slow. You can't acquire drilling rigs overnight, nor can you use a magic wand to materialize the necessary infrastructure, such as docks for the supply boats, drilling mud facilities, etc. Plus, there just isn't that much oil there, at least according to the oil industry projections. The total amount may be as little as two weeks of US consumption, and almost certainly no more than a year's worth. I doubt the oil companies are going to spend billions of dollars on this right away.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...ft=1&f=1001

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/energyexplained/i...e=oil_home#tab2

It is estimated that there are ~4 billion barrels of oil off the east coast. The US consumes 19.5 million barrels/day (~17.1 billion barrels/year). AT that rate, the oil would be exhausted in less than a year. Granted, there are many other domestic sources of oil, however, these reserves are such a small drop in the bucket that thinking it will answer the energy problem is laughable.

Our gas is still cheaper than much of the world. Also keep in mind that oil prices will probably not drop by much (if at all) by opening these reserves. All those rigs and support operations cost a lot of money. The oil companies will not even bother if they can't turn a profit from it.

For example, the oil sands in canada have a massive amount of oil. Its incredibly expensive to mine. I can't remember for sure, but i think $60/barrel was their break even point. They knew about that reserve for a long time, but it was only in the last decade or so that it became a viable source of oil because of the high prices.

They said theres enough oil in the northwest of the us to last us until 2040... But thanks to all the nice enviromental numb nuts nobody can touch it.. so we will just have to enjoy paying $4 a gallon or more can't wait!!

I don't see it doing much. The oil company's timeline is different from yours or mine. If the areas in question were opened to exploration today, you probably wouldn't see exploration vessels for years. Rigs? God, I don't even know. I'd imagine they'd need somewhere fairly local to start building them. Drilling and production rigs aren't exactly mobile. At least, not over the distances in question.

I wouldn't hold my breath or take it as some huge indicator that there will be another hiring boom in the offshore helicopter business anytime soon. But I'll bet you'll see a flight school or two mention it on their web pages.

This is nothing more than a political distraction to butter us up for cap-and-trade-by-fiat. Opening up areas to 'exploration' means just that. Exploration is not production. There are plenty of places where the oil is in the ground and worthwhile to go after that are going to be closed until the American people can no longer afford to placate the environmentalists in our government. The political pendulum has swung so far to the left with Reid, Pelosi, and Obama its going to be interesting to see what happens when it swings back in the other direction even further in three years. We'll see how long it takes to 'ramp up' oil production when that happens. I for one cant wait.

This was mostly definitely a political maneuver & honestly a great play on Obama part. Trying to move back to center from far left & gain support from republicans. Exploration is exploration, no leases will be sold before 2012, exploration will take years and it will be a decade before any oil or gas is brought to market.

Make no mistake about it; Obama is pro Cap & Trade (HR 2454; American Energy & Security Act). If this passes it will be devastating to the oil industry & everyone involved in the US. Only the major players will survive & mostly likely move overseas where they don’t have to pay additional billions of excess taxes for the right to pollute. While major oil companies do make billion dollar profits, they always pay more in taxes. There is a reason why India and China are building refineries at a record pace. No one seems to realize that this has & will further compromise our independence, security, & economy.

I guess that probably the right move if you want to turn the US into a socialized country.

We’re headed where Russia came from… anybody got any Vodka, i could sure use a drink.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now, with the new oil leak in the Gulf, how will it help the helo industry now?

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/24/news/economy/offshore_drilling/index.htm?hpt=T1

"Despite the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico, the government is under pressure to issue new permits for offshore drilling as early as next week....

"They're already starting layoffs in some cases," said Lee Hunt, president of the International Association of Drilling Contractors.

Nearly 30,000 jobs are at stake by midsummer if new permits are not issued soon, said Hunt. Those include jobs on the drill rigs themselves and support positions such as crews on supply boats, caterers and construction yards...."