Too old?

amstel78

I'm 32, married with kids. I live and work in NYC for a global non-profit organization. Between my wife and myself, we make enough money to be comfortable living in Manhattan.

I've been seriously considering a career change. I'm tired and burnt out; the government/non-profit sector can be a killer in terms of morale. I'm thinking about attending Bristow down in Florida to get my rotorwing CPL and instrument ratings. However, I'm a bit concerned as I'll be starting much later in life than most new helicopter pilots.

At 32 now, am I doomed for failure? At this point, it's not really about the money but more about life satisfaction. My wife would eventually become the bread winner for the forseeable future which is fine by me. But, because this field is so competitive, am I already at a disadvantage?

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

James

I'm 32, married with kids. I live and work in NYC for a global non-profit organization. Between my wife and myself, we make enough money to be comfortable living in Manhattan.

I've been seriously considering a career change. I'm tired and burnt out; the government/non-profit sector can be a killer in terms of morale. I'm thinking about attending Bristow down in Florida to get my rotorwing CPL and instrument ratings. However, I'm a bit concerned as I'll be starting much later in life than most new helicopter pilots.

At 32 now, am I doomed for failure? At this point, it's not really about the money but more about life satisfaction. My wife would eventually become the bread winner for the forseeable future which is fine by me. But, because this field is so competitive, am I already at a disadvantage?

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

James

Never too old and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I know of 3 individuals who in their late 30's, (with families, homes teenagers etc..) changed careers and became airline pilots. All 3 are now very successful in their airline careers. 2 of the 3 are Captains on A320's. All 3 never looked back and haven't any regrets. Though it was a tough struggle (nothing is ever easy), they all came out the other end sparkling new! My kudos to them all.

Today's world is a bit different. With the economy the way it is, make your choices well informed. Involve your family in the choices, include them in all that you do. Go with your instinct with perseverance, dedication and resolve.

The first step is always the hardest choice to make, but it also marks a journey wonders!

I honour you for having the courage to make a change. May you succeed in your quest!

Cheers

Rotorrodent

• Like 1

I'm 38 and just getting back into it. I was a former Army aviator 20 years ago. Spent the last 20 in the same boat as you. I got burned out in the government and private sector corporate world so I completely understand. Money is great but if you're not happy with what you're doing what is the point? Go have fun. If you can survive on your wife's income for a few years you are better off than most in this industry. You're not going to see real income for a while and you're going to travel away from the family a lot but shifts are usually a few weeks on and a few weeks off. Go for it!

Two of the guys I trained with (3 years ago) were 45 and I have seen a good few more at that age. The two I trained are both working as pilots right now. You are never too old, certainly not at 32.

I went to Bristow too. Any reason why you are coosing to go all the way down there from NY? There are some good schools up in your neck of the woods. I just moved up to MA for a commercial job.

If you have any questions or want to know some of the "gossip" of Bristow, don't hesitate to PM me!!! :)

I heard this the other day on a TV ad: "Your never too old until your cold"

Fitting is it not?

I started my heli training just before birthday number 50.

I've had a lot of jobs where I made more money but none that I enjoyed more that flying!

Kandace

Thank you for the words of confidence.

As for Bristow and that choice of school; I think it's a good place. Living expenses in Florida are far less than in the North East as well.

If you are popping smoke and moving all toghether, you may want to check out Heliventures in Concord NC (just outside of Charlotte). I did my commercial and CFI there.

You're not too old. Some maturity might even help a little with studying and interviewing.

I was in your shoes 2 years ago. My concern is that I see my window for getting the experience I need for a turbine job closing. Given the slowing economy, even if I got a time building job, I expect that the 1000 hrs (or 1200, or 1500...?) I need for a paying job in flying is going to come very slowly. I got in with EMS aspirations, but realistically, I don't see that happening.

Consider continuing to work with your current employer as a contract employee while you train. As unpalatable as that might sound right now, it's what I did, and it's saved me financially. Happy to talk with you off-line about this some.

Or, it's crossed my mind that a $65,000 vacation would have gone a long way to relieving my burnout. After cutting my hours to do my training, and now just working on an as-needed basis, I still despise the job, but it's less unbearable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.

Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! - usually attributed to Goethe

• Like 2

I was about your age when I started, now I'm almost forty, with only 600hrs, and I still haven't found my first job. :(

However, even if it takes me until I'm fifty to buy the remaning 400hrs, so I can go up to Temsco and finally start my career, I would rather be doing that, at fifty, than what I'm doing now! ;)

• 2 months later...

I`m 41 and looking for a career change (currently a pencil pusher working in Tokyo). I don`t think I would have enough money put away until I`m at least 46, but I definitely want a change of pace.

Are there any opportunities for someone in my boat? It`s not money that I`m concerned about, it`s happiness.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

i started my training at 26 and finished at 28 and did most of my training in the NYC area and i live in Brooklyn. i am a school teacher so i had a good amount of time to train and still work. the good part was that i still felt secure with a job and had time to reevaluate my goals and make sure i was on the path i wanted to be.

it has been hard to find a job in the area though, but i started looking in the fall and many said to come back in the spring. i am really nervous to quit my school teaching job for a job that pays so little in the beginning (i can hear the crowd booing). i have found jobs in other areas but financially i cant walk away from my day job yet. my dream is to work part time till i have that first paying job!

the real point was - if you have any questions about places to go, distances and costs in the area feel free to pm me.

If you're not looking to get rich, not afraid to relocate, and possess an ability to stay persistent in the face of adversity you can make helicopters a career. I started at 34 and am doing pretty well at moving up the ladder and building time. I enjoy my job which was the point of getting into it.